HAGEN REVIEW - about 30 hours in...

Ventura

Hello Fellow Forumites and Diezelheads...

I received my long awaited Hagen a couple weeks ago, and I wanted to really 'get into it' before spewing off about this, that and the other. I've now logged about 30 some odd hours on it, all channels, multiple cabinets, full utilization of the loops, various volumes, various guitars, etc. Let's just say it's been put through its paces. Here we go...

The first thing that was evident upon unpacking the amp is that it's a fairly straight forward head. It's a 4 channel unit, with nice loaded toggles on the front, clean workmanship (seams, tolex, etc), and a funky but easily adapted to front panel layout. The transformers looked big on first glance - and to this day, they still look big. All the preamp tubes have covers on them, and this was news to me, as the last amp I bought was my 2009 VH4S which didn't come with preamp covers. Nevertheless, SUPER clean layout on the inside chassis, tubes were tight and well seated upon delivery, spotless from corner to corner.

Clean Channel:
I have said it before and I'll say it again, although I LOVE hi-gain heads, I gauge a lot of an amp's cred on its ability to conjure up a decent clean sound. Having been down the Diezel path many a time before in my past, I wasn't sure what to expect - sure, there were the Messe videos - as well as Reza's commendable 1st up clip, but ya never really know what you're getting till you're sitting in front of it with axe in hand. Straight up, the sparkle, cleanliness, and shine is different than anything I've heard from any other Diezel. It's not the 'piano like' percussive clean like that of the VH4, or even the Herbert. It's really shiny and crisp, but of course, sounds just as powerful and direct, and full and potent with the volumes turned up. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's almost got a 'spank' to it. Brilliant, bright, and really clear... Not sure what happened here, but it's a sweet clean that responds with Texas twang on the bridge pup of my Lesters and Suhr, has a mellower but just-as-clear sparkle in middle pup mode, and has a real mellow smoothness to it in neck pup mode; all the while still retaining this crisp, crystally sound. Touch sensitivity is terrific, and the responsiveness of the amp is typical Diezel - IMMEDIATE. Quick little runs and pull-off's and fretboards shifts are accompanied with that sweet 'kiss' that's usually found on Tele work or peeps running through the classics such as Vox, Fender, or the like. Truly an in your face clean, that's got gobs of presence and clarity, and just a bit of grit when pushed in the volume department. I had this amp up to 1 o'clock master, 90% full on channel volume, and with a fierce attack to the strings, it gritted up a touch, but man, it gritted up just the way you'd want it to. I can't say enough about this channel. It's a great, great clean that offers tremendous dynamics, at least IMHO, and is a step outside of the usual high gain head cleans that I've become so accustomed to. It'd be a shame to only think of this channel as your effects stuffer - it's too good for this... Albeit I have used it dry; with my Eventide TF in the parallel loop; with a Keeley Compressor; and with my Eventide PF for some cool auto-arpeggiations. Nothing to HINDER the clean, only stuff to work WITH it :yes:

Channel 2:
Quite possibly the biggest channel on this amp, it covers too much territory to describe here. Crunch to Crazy, it does it all super well. Now, this ain't the Clean channel going through a gain stage - well, I am sure it is in some circuit board kinda way - but it's got a totally different personality. It's big, strong, very responsive, and THICK. I found my sweetspot on this channel working with the gain at noon, the volumes at moderate-high, no effects other than a touch of compression (in front), and my TF (in the loop). Run dry, this channel just makes you play hard, rough, and with a lot of enthusiasm... It feels like a guitar amp should feel. It feels 'classic', it has that dynamic whereby gentle picking keeps things fairly polite, harder attack starts rippin' it up!! Now, this probably isn't news to many Diezelheads as hey, Channel 2's always been a key channel on a lot of Peter's amps, and this one is no different in that it covers ALL the territory one could hope for, for the usual forray of musical genres. As this channel starts into the gainier stages of the amp, that elemental 'Diezel tone' starts to become apparent. I've described this is the past as being a 'rubbery' tone and feel. I can't describe it any other way - to me it's bouncy, thick, full, and flexible...it reminds me of 'aural rubber', and this is said in kindness!! We all have words that most folks would think is ludicrous to describe amps - you know - knock, kerrang, chewiness, yada yada yada - well for me, Diezel's trademark gainier sound is rubbery and BIG. And it's once the gain starts creeping in that this other neat thing starts happening... The really cool "holy shit where is THAT coming from!?!?!" 3D effect... More on this later - but let's just say, it's soooooooooooo there once the grind of Channel 2 starts to get pushed. Overall, a great channel, and again, sacrilege for me to use anything other than bare bones signal with a touch of delay and at times, for experimental purposes, a touch of compression up front. With the gain cranked, the overtones are still super apparent, the notes really start to sing, and chords start to open up and bloom if left to decay on their own time. Fast, responsive, big, and tonally lush - sounded absolutely terrific through my Lesters, as well as my PK equipped ESP NT-II and a Hamer equipped with RRs. I also used my single coil Suhr on this channel, but preference is preference, I love the fatness of a humbucker, and this channel to me is best with my Lesters. Superb.

Channel 3:
It's hard NOT to compare this channel with the VH4 as c'mon, this amp has been talked about in the same sentence with the V since its inception ages ago. Alright, so what is it? It's f*ckin' righteously raw, juicy, gnarling, burbling, and MASSIVE - that's what it is. It's soooooooooooooo open - I can't describe it any other way, it's like taking the signature Diezel Ch.3 from the VH4 and widening it up, throwing in a little looseness, and saying "sorry folks, no need for another guitarist in this band...one is just fine". I mean HOLY SHIT!! It's got this chainsaw aggression to it that's off the hook!! Alright, so backing up a bit - something I spoke to Peter about that became apparent when playing this channel. It does 2 things simultaneously, that typically an amp can only do one of well... So, we all know the V's got this surgical tightness to it, right? I mean, it's like an immediate wall of crushing thickness, then dead stop silence without a squeek, right? You chuggers know what I'm talking about...it's like a razor. Now, TO MY EARS, I love playing a complex, overtone laden chord and just let it ring out to see how the amp works it - the VH4(S) has all the 3D aspects we've come to love, it's got beautiful bloom, and it's rich - no doubt about it. But it's TIGHT!! So, what's the Hagen all about - Reza, Niilz - correct me if I'm wrong here, it does both. With a very slight touch of palm-mute, the amp responds much like Ch.3 of the V, with immense precision and razor like cut and tightness; loosen up on the palm-mute and let the strings do their thing, and this channel just lets the tones go nuts!! FILLS the room - seriously FILLS it, with a bunch of "holy shit where did those overtones and harmonics come from over in that corner of the room when I'm over here playing in this corner holy shit there it goes again?!?!?". Guys, I don't do drugs, but this channel when opened up to a fat volume creates a tone that's completely and utterly ALIVE!! I am so stoked on this channel - one minute it's precise and tight, just so immediate and still; the next it's this incredible beast just adding layer upon layer of overtones and harmonics to the original notes played. Colorful, rich, wide open, and full... Super aggressive sounding, definitely all the siggy Diezel rubbery tone I've come to expect, but just explosive. when left to its own devices. I've since run this channel with only a TOUCH of delay. Nothing more. No way. Why!?!?!? It's a holy-shit-I've-crapped-my-pants channel... Peter, both Peters...WHOA!! :D To anyone out there familiar with the siggy Diezel tone I've been talking about in this review, do yourself a favor, and play this channel on the Hagen with the master at noon, the channel volume anywhere between noon and up, and gain at 2 o'clock, and tell me you're not grinning like an idiot. It's 100% as-per-Reza's-original-commentary, ADDICTIVE!! Do I like it better than my VH4S? Personally, yes I do. Is it comparable to the VH4(S)? Only in the sense that it's the siggy Diezel tone - but outside of this, it's a different animal altogether. It's bloody ALIVE man!! And the reigns can be brought in when needed to get 'er back to that V style of precision and attack. Incredible channel. Nuts.

Channel 4:
My latest, newest, and now-favorite 'go to' lead sound yet to date. Alright, so what's it all about? I can tell you what it's NOT about - it's not about taking Channel 3, adding more gain and ending up with more compression to fulfill the requirements of sustain and tone. No. It's just as wide open, raw and alive sounding as Channel 3, but with this added element of OOOMPH and attack and aggression to it, NONE of which is delivered with compression as a byproduct. It's a stellar sounding, amazingly responsive, amazingly QUIET (yes, QUIET, as in very little HISS!!) high gain lead channel. I will say it's not as quiet as the V's channel 4, there is a degree of noise slightly more apparent than the V, at least in my particular case, but still bloody quiet compared to most of the high gainers out there today. Nothing a gate wouldn't assist you with at gig/show level volumes. The big ticket here is, it retains all that density and complexity of the 3rd channel, but has way more horsepower and scream to it. It handles all styles of play, exhibits terrific articulation string-per-string, has totally brilliant 'musical' feedback, and responds super well to tonal/volume controls on the axe. There's NO need to rely on some outboard stomp or pedal or rack effect to get you into lead/dominance position with this amp - just hammer it into Channel 4, and BOOM, you're there, sounding all the bit as good as you were whilst playing back on Ch.2 or Ch.3, but with an elevated level of intensity and scream now... Crazy channel. Mean, wicked, powerful, searing, and wide wide open.... I can't say anything else but WOW to this as a lead channel.

That's it for my channel summary. There are some trick features to this amp that only became evident after holing up with it for a couple weeks. The option of the 2nd master is terrific - alongside Ch.4 as the lead channel, this is a terrific way to take sonic centre stage when need be. Perfect idea. The switchable serial loop is great, I've plunked a reverb into it that now has me buying a slightly 'better' reverb unit as the EHX Cathedral wasn't really the best stomp for this amp's loop. The parallel is a perfect loop - as we've come to expect with the Diezel lineage. And the tubeset that Peter has chosen here, the Ruby EL34BG, well, I'm not in any rush to swap 'em out, although I know I'll be interested to hear 6550's and a couple other sets in here down the road, just out of curiosity. Overall, it's a beautiful amp that does everything a modern day player could want, hope and ask for. The Clean channel is the sweetest of the Diezel's I've heard to date, and yes, I'll qualify this by saying I've yet to spend time with the Schmidt; of the high gainers, the Clean is a mega surprise for its beauty and sparkle.

Any negatives? Well, honestly, the amp is a different amp at lower volumes - but I suppose that's to be expected. The synergy that's created when the poweramp section starts to get pushed, the channel volume is up there, and the attack on the axe all come together to create this amp that sounds almost like a double tracked signal, all coming from 1 head, 1 cab. The overtones and 3D aspect really starts to shine in this volume range. I played this head with several 4x12's, and my fave results were with my G12K100 loaded 4x12. I liked the richness of the tone. I also played it through a FL4x12 V30, and you know, ya man, this would be the ticket if playing a gig or in a band - it offers way more cut!! But I liked the smoothness of the G12K100's the best - but this is just my opinion. I tried a RL4x12 V30 cab, and it seemed to contain the amp's personality a bit too much - those blossoming overtones and harmonics, the evident in-yer-face 3D character wasn't as evident with this cab. So that's that.

I hinted quite some time ago that my tastes were moving into a looser, gnarlier, more wide-open style of amp. I love the VH4 but I wasn't playing it as much, I was finding the 'grind' and 'chew' of my Bogners to be more along my style of playing as of late. This new amp, the Hagen, has incorporated a lot of the playfulness, liveliness and craziness of a fun-as-hell amp to play, and combined these aspects with incredible sonic layering - in the ability to make it hit like a sledgehammer or run-out like a gnarling chainsaw... It's HUGE sounding, and that doesn't mean LOUD, albeit it is just that as well!! It's a brand new amp from Diezel. It's not a bit of this amp and a bit of that amp from Diezel. It's a brand new, ass kicking, beautiful playing, beautiful sounding, incredibly detailed and textured amp from Diezel. I am very impressed with this amp - it seriously slays but has all the circuitry-techno-wizardry to respond to adept fingers and expectations of players who want immediate control and feel. Wow...this is one HELLUVA noisemaker :thumbsup:

CLIPS!!!!
I am working on clips. My BIGGEST ISSUE with clips so far as that the 3D aspect I'm trying to capture is hard to f*ckin' capture. And this is DAMN important as hey, this is, at least to me, about 30% of the beauty of this amp. I'm working on it, but I can guarantee, these won't be video clips - I don't have the capacity to film high-def sound the way I can by just recording the sound. I am working with 1 close mic Shure SM57, and 1 ambient mic and I'm working hard to get it to sound like my ears hear. It needs to be loud, and it needs to be right. All I can say is, this amp sounds simply incredible face-to-face... I promised clips, and they will arrive. I just wanted to post my 'full on review' as I've received several PM's of peeps thinking I don't dig it as no one's heard from me yet. Not the case, I just wanted to get to know this thing, that's all.

More to follow, and I hope this review comes in useful :thumbsup:
Mo

Great review...and VERY detailed...THANKS!!!

How does it sound at managable "bedroom" volumes? The Herbert sounds amazing at these levels...The VH4? Well that needs to be cranked up a bit. I was just wondering how the Hagen compares in this regard. Thanks again man.

As per bedroom level volumes, I can dial it in to sound absolutely exquisite; the difference being, this 'exquisite' EQ setting shifts as the volume goes up. Fletcher Munson effect of sorts....and this was first verbalized to me by m'man Reza. I approached this amp as though I'd not read or heard anything about it - this is why I took time to play it, and really get to know it. It changes as the volume goes up - it's not a bad amp WHATsoever at bedroom levels; it's still thick, rubbery, potent, and very 3D. It's just that there's a lot less 'LIFE' to the amp, and 'EXPLOSIVENESS' to the amp at bedroom levels; AND, if you think your EQ is dandy at 9 o'clock as it would be at 3 o'clock, no...it's got this organic palette to it, the EQ needs adjusting along the volume scale.

You've all read my "20 hours in" on the 20thA XTC, er, most of you have. I called the 20thA a 'masterpiece'. Much of that is due to all the bells and whistles offered on that amp...a plethora of tone shaping, wattage attenuating, circuitry changing, excursion modifying variables. Well, the Hagen doesn't have this - it's a straight up 4 channel head - simple, in some ways, compared to the fully loaded 20thA. But its simplicity is pure perfection to my ears. It's one of the finest playing, finest sounding, finest responding amps I've had the pleasure of playing. And it's DRIPPING with that signature Diezel tone.

Mailman1971":ral1o1k6 said:
Dibs on the VH4S...... :LOL: :LOL:
No kidding :D

Like I said, I verbalized the fact I was looking for something different already a year ago, and I've been a V-user since '06. That's a long time to keep an amp and feel 'at one' with an amp, especially for this board!!! The Hagen just does things better for me :dunno:

To each their own... No dissin' the V, it's still the quintessential 'Diezel' amp, IMHO.
Mo

Thanks for the answer...Sounds great a low volumes (with EQ adjustments)....Got it. I just read your review again. I know the Hagen has it's own vibe, but it really does sound like Peter combined the best elements of the VH4 and the Herbert on this one. Can't wait for the clips man...Maybe throw in some heavy riffing on chan 4 (not just leads) as well...Thanks again for the detailed review.

Awesome review. I'll definitely have to own one of these when the used prices go down (hopefully someday....).

This review was definitely GAS inducing.

Looking forward to some clips!

and i thought u were on holidays, wearing your flower shirts and white shorts being a real tourist in some strange land, haha. So u diggin this luggage with light bulbs inside. u know am in the market for a new amp. This just got added to the list. Another piece of luggage that caught my fancy is the colusses. Any opinons. U can pm me.

Mailman1971":286zanjx said:
How does it compare to the Herbie? :checkthisout:
ZERO hi-fi, just this PHAT incredible lower mids definition that responds as though it's the most playful frequency range one can toy with... Hope that helps.

pstar":3qj6oyv2 said:
and i thought u were on holidays, wearing your flower shirts and white shorts being a real tourist in some strange land, haha. So u diggin this luggage with light bulbs inside. u know am in the market for a new amp. This just got added to the list. Another piece of luggage that caught my fancy is the colusses. Any opinons. U can pm me.
Hey Braddah - long time... Hope yer not melting in the heat. Seeing as you're in Ontario, definitely check out Fortin for shitz'n'giggles. You gotta play before you pay, if you're not sure what it is you're looking for.

For me, this Hagen has got it going on... In spades!!

Peace Y'All,
Mojo :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ventura":y0k3ki1t said:
So, what's the Hagen all about - Reza, Niilz - correct me if I'm wrong here, it does both. With a very slight touch of palm-mute, the amp responds much like Ch.3 of the V, with immense precision and razor like cut and tightness; loosen up on the palm-mute and let the strings do their thing, and this channel just lets the tones go nuts!! FILLS the room - seriously FILLS it, with a bunch of "holy shit where did those overtones and harmonics come from over in that corner of the room when I'm over here playing in this corner holy shit there it goes again?!?!?".

Jepp! Imho the best sounding Diezel so far... ;-) Have fun!!!

Great write up and review Mo..
I'm so stoked with the Hagen so far as well.
I totally agree the amp is different at volume, it really seams to come alive with the master past 11:00.
I'm also really digging channel 4 with the gain rolled back to 10:00 or so.
:rock: :rock: :rock:

base341":2i2t5k34 said:
I'm also really digging channel 4 with the gain rolled back to 10:00 or so.
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Yes....!! :yes:

Seems to me, as mentioned, this channel's not relying on the usual compression/clipping format to increase gain and sustain. I say this because underneath the noon mark on the gain setting, this channel's got it's own mojo going on. It's not just a lead channel, it's 1 of 4 key channels on the amp - again, extremely brilliant sonic design.

I'm really super impressed with this amp!! :salute:

More 'alive' and 'explosive' than any of the others I've tried, and hey, that's not a thing of competition or direct comparison, it's simply a totally different and new model from Diezel. Nuff said...

Mo

Back