Cowboys Vs. Rust

Cowboys Vs. Rust...which was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the opposite honestly, probably mostly cause Phil was still a great singer on CFH, after that not so much lol
I am not trying to be an ass, but all I have ever heard from Pantera is cookie monster crap and that is why I could never listen to much of them. I am hoping you can post something by them with actual singing because I really would like to check it out. I love me some Megadeth especially with Marty Friedman.

Based on the number of songs I ACTUALLY like off of each album, CFH wins by a lot. I only like Holy Wars and Hangar 18 from RIP. I like almost all of the songs on CFH.
Lol probably not a coincidence that those are the first 2 songs on RIP. I like Tornado of Souls also (minus the vocals lol) and that guitar solo is imo one of the all time best. On CFH the only songs I really liked were CFH, Cemetery Gates and Domination, so album-wise a toss up for me between the 2. Very rare to have albums with more than 2 or 3 really good songs on them imo

I am not trying to be an ass, but all I have ever heard from Pantera is cookie monster crap and that is why I could never listen to much of them. I am hoping you can post something by them with actual singing because I really would like to check it out. I love me some Megadeth especially with Marty Friedman.

The album is called Cowboys from Hell, the one being discussed

I don't understand the appeal of Megadeth but for me the drumming on cowboy's is what sets Pantera apart from most every band of that era.

How about "Peace Sells, Who's Buying?" v. "Far Beyond Driven"?

Pantera's best album against Megadeth's first album. Or, Peace Sells v. Cowboys, or Rust in Peace v. Far Beyond Driven? More Apples to Apples IMO.

This post got me listening to all the Pantera albums in order . I actually just did all the Megadeth album. As for Megadeth I can’t believe how good Dystopia was to me. That was the first album I loved since Cryptic Writings . And ya I did cryptic lol

It's all relative to who you're comparing to (in this case Marty Friedman). Cemetery Gates is a very good solo musically, but can't remember hearing any others that did anything for me (some like the CFH solo is honestly quite juvenile imo compositionally, but I would agree he plays with good feeling, but musically (note choice wise) not so) and even the CG solo imo just isn't in the same league as Marty's best leadwork. I love a lot of Dime's riffs and Pantera's songs, but if we're talking just solos or leadwork then I'm sorry but I just don't hear it as being on the level as someone like Marty

i dont know man, im not sure what "juvenile" means when it comes to music. "Floods" makes a lot of peoples greatest solos list next to guys like gilmour and hendrix so it seems silly to me to question his note decision.

I give the slide edge to CFH only because at the time (and perhaps to this day) it sounded much more unique than RIP. That’s a bit my personal take on MD more generally: near flawless execution, but I feel like I’m listening on steroids. You may argue Pantera (and Dime’s tone) sounds like crap, but it’s crap I’ve never heard.

i dont know man, im not sure what "juvenile" means when it comes to music. "Floods" makes a lot of peoples greatest solos list next to guys like gilmour and hendrix so it seems silly to me to question his note decision.
I was more referring to the solo on the CFH song when I said that. I admittedly forgot about Floods. Just listened now to refresh my memory. Better (I actually think Cemetery Gates is a better solo and musically more coherent), but imho doesn't do a whole lot for me either, to me it can't hold a candle to Marty's best leadwork and would never in a million years put it in the same conversation with the best solos of Gilmour like Comfortably Numb or Hendrix's like his All Along The Watchtower leads and I'm really not at all a classic rock guy, but I give credit where credit is due if the musical content is high quality (I really don't care at all about those lists fwiw). I honestly don't regularly listen as much to metal or rock these days, but from what I recall, at the top of my head, some of my favorite/most epic guitar solos to me in hard rock or metal have been the 1st solo of Mr Crowley, No More Tears, Tornado of Souls, Number of The Beast and Beast And The Harlot. Surely many I'm forgetting. Don't get wrong, I really like Dime's riffs and those Pantera songs, just was never into his leadwork. Sadly over 99% of guitar solos (in almost any genre) sound to me like musical afterthoughts, often too noodly, not telling a coherent story, so I really treasure the good ones

Last edited:
I respect Dimebag and I respect Pantera, but I’ve never been able to get into their music. There’s nothing about their songs that move me at all. Great playing and musicianship, though.

Back