Cowboys Vs. Rust

Cowboys Vs. Rust...which was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both are great albums and I've worn out a couple of cassette tapes of each back in the day.... Dammit did i just really use that phrase. Now im disappointed in myself.

Cowboys is my favorite Pantera album, but RIP takes it. It and Youthanasia had a decent amount of influence on my playing style. And MegadetH has always been my top band.

Like both, but RIP over CFH for me.
The riffs alone on RIP are like guitarlicular gymnastics.
Love Pantera. They hit their grove on Vulgar.

Both are great albums and I've worn out a couple of cassette tapes of each back in the day.... Dammit did i just really use that phrase. Now im disappointed in myself.

Cowboys is my favorite Pantera album, but RIP takes it. It and Youthanasia had a decent amount of influence on my playing style. And MegadetH has always been my top band.
I still listen to cassettes when working in the garage. I even bought a new cassette tape from a local band recently. Love the tapes.

What are the best songs or most famous ones on the record? I will check them out.

I posted a couple before in this thread but I would just start at the beginning, there’s no filler tracks. Cemetery Gates is the “ballad” on the album if you want to call it that

Out of my top three metal breakdowns, Pantera does two of them. One is on CFH. Slayer does the other one. I'm 50 and fucked up but I still want to get up and hit something when I hear that shit. I like Megadeath but it just doesn't kick me in the nutz like Pantera does. They broke me out of my classic rock mold, then ruined me with Vulgar.

Youthanasia was so well rounded; production was awesome, Dave’s voice was on point and Marty/Nick were still around.

I posted a couple before in this thread but I would just start at the beginning, there’s no filler tracks. Cemetery Gates is the “ballad” on the album if you want to call it that
Cemetery Gates was pretty cool and it had a great solo. I prefer the older stuff that I am checking out now which is more 80's metal sounding. I had no idea Phil had a voice like that.

Nothing VS Rust....nothing made can stand against the masterpiece yet. Vulgar imo would have been a better challenger as it's color and textures are obvious and run throughout the pieces. Testament has done their share of epic material as have Slayer but to best the overall dynamic of RIP nothing forged yet can claim that level of dominance yet. Of course this is subjective....

Last edited:
Cemetery Gates was pretty cool and it had a great solo. I prefer the older stuff that I am checking out now which is more 80's metal sounding. I had no idea Phil had a voice like that.

Yes, power metal is criminally underrated and should be discussed with the others.

Just a reminder since we are a few pages in why it was specifically CBH versus RIP...they were both released within a few months of each other in 1990 and went on to be major pieces of metal history. So not the usual "best album" by band match-up but more if you took a couple of key albums from the same year.

But great opinions here, keep 'em coming!

I went on record earlier saying I love both, and it's pretty close for me even though I picked Cowboys. But if we were talking other favorites, I actually prefer Peace Sells for Megadeth.

Out of my top three metal breakdowns, Pantera does two of them. One is on CFH. Slayer does the other one. I'm 50 and fucked up but I still want to get up and hit something when I hear that shit. I like Megadeath but it just doesn't kick me in the nutz like Pantera does. They broke me out of my classic rock mold, then ruined me with Vulgar.
I hear you man! Someone else suggested I should have added Seasons in the Abyss as well since I was going for a 1990 showdown, wish I had that one in the mix as well. I'm not surprised RIP is winning (nor bothered by that, all amazing metal here), but just interested if I was alone with Pantera kind of taking the crown right out of the gate.

Rust in Peace. It’s one of my all-time favorites, so this one isn’t even a close one for me. I like Pantera, but I much prefer some of there other albums to Cowboys.

I honestly love TRENDKILL the best . It just hits me in this real honest way . There’s some sadness in the madness

Same, it's still my fave Pantera album. So damn dark :love:

CFH is my least favorite Pantera album (though it does have some killer moments for sure) besides Reinventing the Steel, so out of the two I'd have to choose RIP

Back