Cowboys Vs. Rust

Cowboys Vs. Rust...which was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough choice, but RIP was the reason I bought my first guitar. Tight rhythm playing and Marty’s solos were unlike anything I’d heard before. Still think Tornado of Souls is one of the greatest solos of all time in any genre of music.

Completely agreed on Tornado of Souls’ solo. It’s such a journey, great melody, ebb and flow of tension, and ends with classic Marty Friedman blistering shred. Easily my #1 favorite metal solo.

I think the opposite honestly, probably mostly cause Phil was still a great singer on CFH, after that not so much lol
I get it . I like him better with out the halford screams . I preferred the more hardcore death Phil . My favorite vocals ever might be Trendkill album. But I understand your statement . He was more a singer then

Bitches still be hating cuz they still can't cop Dimes riffs or solos correctly. Lol. Cemetery gates solo alone wins hands down.
Totally disagree. Listen to the solo of Tornado of Souls (one of the best guitar solos) or also Marty’s leadwork in Holy Wars or Hangar 18 (Not Dave’s leads lol, which were juvenile at best). None of Dime’s leadwork can touch Marty’s in those songs in either actual musical content nor playing itself (both technically and in the nuance/feel of Marty). Marty was one of the few players along with RR to play fast leads that actually had some depth and feeling in their note choices and wasn’t just playing fast to try solely to impress like the other 99.9% of shredders

Totally disagree. Listen to the solo of Tornado of Souls (one of the best guitar solos) or also Marty’s leadwork in Holy Wars or Hangar 18 (Not Dave’s leads lol, which were juvenile at best). None of Dime’s leadwork can touch Marty’s in those songs in either actual musical content nor playing itself (both technically and in the nuance/feel of Marty). Marty was one of the few players along with RR to play fast leads that actually had some depth and feeling in their note choices and wasn’t just playing fast to try solely to impress like the other 99.9% of shredders

dimebag didnt have depth and feeling in his solos?? i hear more and more shit every day i cant believe someone would say, this may be at the top of the list though :LOL:

Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls are good examples of this, but don't forget Five Magics...the leads put my jaw on the floor.

I voted Cowboys, but anyone who says ANYTHING destroys RIP is just stirring shit up.

vulgar needs the same recognition the black album got this year for the 30th anniversary which was immense
I agree . It seems Panteras mangers and reps are not doing a great job as other now classics . Business looks shoddy . I mean when they going to put vocals on the last damage plan album . If that’s all that’s left Rita can get a different legend on each song . Dudes would be honeyed to put vocals on those tracks

dimebag didnt have depth and feeling in his solos?? i hear more and more shit every day i cant believe someone would say, this may be at the top of the list though :LOL:
It's all relative to who you're comparing to (in this case Marty Friedman). Cemetery Gates is a very good solo musically, but can't remember hearing any others that did anything for me (some like the CFH solo is honestly quite juvenile imo compositionally, but I would agree he plays with good feeling, but musically (note choice wise) not so) and even the CG solo imo just isn't in the same league as Marty's best leadwork. I love a lot of Dime's riffs and Pantera's songs, but if we're talking just solos or leadwork then I'm sorry but I just don't hear it as being on the level as someone like Marty

Based on the number of songs I ACTUALLY like off of each album, CFH wins by a lot. I only like Holy Wars and Hangar 18 from RIP. I like almost all of the songs on CFH.

I can't imagine a world where I have to pick Marty against Dime lol. To be honest though, Dime probably would have voted for Marty and his playing on RIP because it is essentially Perfect. Hard to find a note or a solo that was lackluster on that one. Same with Countdown. The songs may not be everyone's bag but holy shit Marty continued smokin on that one. Dime ain't no slouch though. Cemetery Gates, This Love, he wasn't lacking in any feeling. Plus those insane "get yer pull on" harmonic squealy pulls and dives. So good. He hit those everywhere and was a monster player live. Both those guys are (were) fucking awesome.

Body of work though, Megadeth has that one by a long shot. I think even Marty has to know that he peaked in that band. No amount of Japan pop or cheesy super fast instrumental stuff he has done since compares.

Back