220 to 120

Dyllheaven88

I have a step up / down transformer but I’ve never used one and not sure how to set things up with out blowing the tranny eventually going to re wire the pt . But wanted to test the amp . Any help appreciated !

I have a step up / down transformer but I’ve never used one and not sure how to set things up with out blowing the tranny eventually going to re wire the pt . But wanted to test the amp . Any help appreciated !
is your wall voltage 220/240 or 110/120? Are you using a variac or an actual step up step down trans? by testing do you mean playing or actually testing a circuit?

Playing I figured it out , although I didn’t test the wall voltage but I was guessing 120 / and was running a step down tranny at 120 . But their was another issue so it’s at the tech getting the pt rewire

I just got a Rev F Triple from Europe. I bought a step transformer for it. The Recto PTs are not Re wireable so they are fixed at 117 or 230. The rule of thumb is, whatever the mains fuse is rated for X the wall voltage=the wattage rating for the step trans. So in my case the fuse is 2A X 230V =460, my step trans is 500w. But I’d go bigger if I were playing out with large volumes often.

There's a difference in the frequency also, not just the voltage. US is 60 cycle, Europe is 50 I believe. George Lynch said once that his Marshalls always sounded better when touring in Europe and that the engineers told him that was the difference, because Marshalls are actually designed for the 50 cycle. He had tried step up transformers here in America and it didn't sound the same only boosting the voltage. He said he could buy a converter for $7000.00 .

Back