4x12 Speaker Cabinet "Holy Grail"

Best cab I’ve ever played through was a Cameron 412 with H30 anniversaries.

Honorable mentions are the traditional/Stiletto Mesa 412 and Bogner with V30s
Splawn 412s sounded great too with big and small block speakers

It's always been a question of whether an amp fits well with the cab.

I thought my old Mesa Roadster and Deliverance 60 played particularly well through the Mills Afterburner 412 I had. That was a CRUSHING sound.

My Fryette Sig:X and Diezel D-Moll sound great through my G-Flex 212 with K85's. Roadster sounded not good through this cab, and my CLX is also underwhelming with this cab.

My Pittbull CLX sounds great through the FB412 with P50E's. I've never tried the Fane version but have considered buying a quad of those speakers and swapping them in.

None of these cabs sounded good with any Marshalls (to me).

My favorite cab I owned is my Kerry Wright 412 and I also really like my Bogner Ubercab and Diezel 412 FL. The best cab I ever tried so far was probably a late ‘60’s Marshall 412. None of these cabs though really are that unique in design as far as I know, but I think they’re all very good

My friend has a bunch of Omega cabs. I remembered them being nice, but not blown away

I tried a Port City years ago and remember it being good. Filled up the room a lot

I’ve owned a lot of cabs, and the best sounding was a cheap ass Sonic cab loaded with EVM12s. Great cab.

My two Cameron 4x12 cabs...But mainly the one I got from psycodave. Best sounding for sure.

And my three Randall warhead stacks. 4x12s in the top cabs,2x15s in the bottom cabs. Best wall ever.

straight Bogner 4x12 with Scumbacks.
Best all-around, almost tight as FL cabs but much more musical and not so directional. Close to old Marshalls.
Mesa OS is good for recto etc. but for Marshall voiced amps it sounds boomy and shrill. Ditto old halfbacks. Smaller Traditional is much better voiced for those amps.

LP Freak":2b3c031d said:
paulyc":2b3c031d said:
I’ve owned a lot of cabs, and the best sounding was a cheap ass Sonic cab loaded with EVM12s. Great cab.
Your ears must be broke :LOL: :LOL:
I know how it sounds, but it was a great sounding cab. I was surprised too, believe me. Lol

for me, the metal grill mesa cabs with both back pannels, and c90/ev combo is pretty high on the list if not at the top.
marshall 1960a's with original g12-65's is tough to beat as well.

i'm sure the "holy grail" has to be some 60's marshall with original greenbacks or something else extremely scarce and old.

I have always preferred straight front 4x12 cabs to angled. Something about all 4 speakers pushing in the same plane adds not just low end ‘thump’ but ‘fullness’ across the spectrum. I’ve got 2 Splawn straight fronts loaded with G12EVH that really do it for me. For portability I have a thiele ported 2x12 with 1 G12H 55hz and 1 G12H 75hz. The thiele port runs horizontally across the bottom of the cab. It is the biggest, best sounding 2x12 I have ever heard. But I am eager to snap up one of those ported Genz Benz 2x12s any time I run into one on Reverb or flea-bay.

Tone Monster":1iz9yo6v said:
Mesa Traditional straight with the grill cloth cut off. Tight and musical. Perfect really.

Traditional is a great cab , I like miine alot. I guess sonetimes it can be a bit dark or congested ..... Some cabs sound a bit more open but its still a hard one to beat. Im wonderong if you cut your grill cloth off to get a more open sound ?

paulyc":2epir2sb said:

The first time i saw the band Cynic back in 1990 or 1991. That was the exact cab they used and their tone/sound was amazing back then.

I have three favorite cabs.

1) 1967 Marshall slant with G12M 20w 003 cone pre rolas (used to be Queen and Dokken's cab), got the matching bottom cab with 72 G12M 25w 102/3 cones under it.

2) 1968 Marshall straight cab with G12H30 pre rola 003/014 cones

3) My original Scumback 69 spec cab with M75's...12 years old now, tolex I put on is still holding up!

Scumback Speakers":37gelzwm said:
I have three favorite cabs.

1) 1967 Marshall slant with G12M 20w 003 cone pre rolas (used to be Queen and Dokken's cab), got the matching bottom cab with 72 G12M 25w 102/3 cones under it.

2) 1968 Marshall straight cab with G12H30 pre rola 003/014 cones

3) My original Scumback 69 spec cab with M75's...12 years old now, tolex I put on is still holding up!
10 4 my 68 cab hard to beat

LP Freak":3el6r4hd said:
paulyc":3el6r4hd said:
Your ears must be broke :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:

Man, they must’ve put out some good ones because when it came to buying my son a cab, I tried one of those out. I wouldn’t even think of giving my 15 yr old a cab that bad. Ugh.

I call my 79 Marshall bottom with creambacks my secret weapon...and I expect my 78 I scored to be the same. I also jumped on Nates Lynchbox 412 covered in alligator but never played the speakers it has in it. On my list one day is a Orange PPC412, always heard good things about those too.

I’ve had or tried them all. Marshall (old and new), old Mesa (1/2 backs, 1/2 back oversized bass cabs) new Mesa (regular and oversized) Vader, all of the popular high quality clones, etc. I’m down to like ten 4x12’s these days. lol

I have had a few old Marshall’s that sounded killer. One was a late 70’s with Celestion 75’s that sounded like greenbacks. Super smooth sounding. Nobody believed they were 75’s. My other Marshall cabinet everyone loved was a 1973 cab loaded with H30 Blackbacks. I brought it to an amp fest with Fortin, gainfreak, etc. and everyone was floored by it. It just sounds like no other cabinet. I’ve owned it since 1990.

All of that said, I have four Cameron 4x12’s that I really prefer and use the most. I don’t give a crap that it says Cameron (they are made by vboutique),the cabinets have straight from baffles and the grill cloth is several inches away from the baffle. This adds to the distinctive sound.

Back