5153 blue channel changes. True or false?

Lord Toneking":21r36h5r said:
I always end up going back to my trusty old ass Quickrod

And the 5153 50w is what convinced me I was done with my Quick Rod. Ch 2 with the gain at about 10-11 o'clock and the EQ knobs right around noon. I really dig the sound and FEEL of these amps. Heck, the blue channel and the volume knob on my guitar is all I would ever really need (but I still have all my old Marshalls too).

Chubtone":3cpuu5bw said:
nevusofota":3cpuu5bw said:

Yeah, but there is no guitar plugged into that amp and the light isn't on. Obviously he's not using them.

Umm... Pilot light is on and there is a cable in the input jack...

f550maranello2":2sqyh0ht said:
Padre Bonic":2sqyh0ht said:
SFW":2sqyh0ht said:
SFW":2sqyh0ht said:
I did the mods to my 100 watt (remove or clip one leg of r26,remove c23 and jump with a wire if not already done from the factory,and change r25 to 100k). I'm telling you this is it! Channel 2 has the 50 watt gain now but slightly more open and ballsier I'm thinking due to the 100 watt power section. Absolutely perfect now. The 50 watt was killer in rehearsals for my thrash/punk band but I wanted a 100 watt for gigging. Now there won't be a tonal/gain difference between the two because I reside mostly on channel 2.

What was the amp rating for the R25 100k resistor you used?
I used a 1/4 watt resistor

Cool. Thanks.
Your best bet though is to piggyback(parallel) a 220k resistor over the existing one which will bring the value to 100k. Much easier than pulling the board to get out the old one and putting in the other. This also makes it easy to put back to stock if you ever want to.

we need some clips man, im really tempted to do this to my amp
i'll try to get something tonight at rehearsal but think 50 watt blue channel. It really sounds just like it now. I A/B'd them last time I was there and it was almost indistinguishable

So tempted to try this. Just clip r26? You mean just cut an end of r26? Could you take a pic of what you did? Safe to do once the power is unplugged? I'm a total noob at working on amps besides swapping out tubes and fuses when needed. Soldering and the such is not my skill. Is this something that I should even attempt myself or should I take it to a tech?

victim5150":84aht1kv said:
So tempted to try this. Just clip r26? You mean just cut an end of r26? Could you take a pic of what you did? Safe to do once the power is unplugged? I'm a total noob at working on amps besides swapping out tubes and fuses when needed. Soldering and the such is not my skill. Is this something that I should even attempt myself or should I take it to a tech?
i would let a tech do it even if you were the least bit apprehensive about it. Better safe than sorry.

Ok, so I just did the R25, R26 & C23 mods. The amp definitely has more gain on the Blue channel now. Can't really give input on tone yet, because the 212 I have at the house sucks. I should have an EVH 412 here tomorrow. I can say that the Blue channel is still more open sounding and less compressed than the Red channel. I'd say that with the Blue gain maxed out you have as much gain as the Red channel with the gain about noon.

SFW":2bq600t7 said:
Ok, so I just did the R25, R26 & C23 mods. The amp definitely has more gain on the Blue channel now. Can't really give input on tone yet, because the 212 I have at the house sucks. I should have an EVH 412 here tomorrow. I can say that the Blue channel is still more open sounding and less compressed than the Red channel. I'd say that with the Blue gain maxed out you have as much gain as the Red channel with the gain about noon.

Looking forward to the 4x12 review. 100W with the 50W blue channel would be a great amp. I played the Stealth and the 50W combo's too much gain for me. I had to have the gain backed almost all the way off and that's just weird.

That cord is plugged into a dummy through jack which comes out the other side into the front of his Friedman BE100 and the light is just the built in variac he is running the Friedman off of.

There is no way the guy is using his sig gear..... heck in that new video he just did, he has a dummy, cardboard shape of a Wolfgang taped over his Suhr guitar.

;)

Chubtone":2zy2stcy said:
That cord is plugged into a dummy through jack which comes out the other side into the front of his Friedman BE100 and the light is just the built in variac he is running the Friedman off of.

There is no way the guy is using his sig gear..... heck in that new video he just did, he has a dummy, cardboard shape of a Wolfgang taped over his Suhr guitar.

;)
ok....i haven't played guitar in many months...sold all of my gear...haven't been here at rigtalk in many many months...but this post brought me out of hibernation ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Chubtone":72cmfj1c said:

;)
Not sure about it.....
I received a classified information from the inner circle who said that he uses a boost pedal

zewango":1spf4l5v said:
SFW":1spf4l5v said:

Looking forward to the 4x12 review. 100W with the 50W blue channel would be a great amp. I played the Stealth and the 50W combo's too much gain for me. I had to have the gain backed almost all the way off and that's just weird.
I played with the modded 100 watt blue channel at rehearsal last night and I loved it. IMHO it sounds a little better than the 50 watt now. Gain at 12:00 was perfect for my needs and the tone was slightly smoother and less squawky in the mids if that makes sense. Very happy with it.

Just found these pics online of a Stealth board. Apparently there are traces cut on the board. Possibly caps being cut out for the tonal shift on channel 3?

Padre Bonic":1xo3uhtq said:
Just found these pics online of a Stealth board. Apparently there are traces cut on the board. Possibly caps being cut out for the tonal shift on channel 3?

...and here is Howard Kaplan's response:

Yes. The 100S is created by hand modifying the 100W PCB assembly. The cuts (there are two) are done with a Dremel tool and there is nothing to worry about. The signal re-routing is done with coax wire. We stand behind the amp with our warranty. The chassis is also new to accommodate the resonance controls; bias test jacks and bias pots. Stop worrying and play the thing!

nevusofota":12yu3g4m said:
Padre Bonic":12yu3g4m said:

...and here is Howard Kaplan's response:

Yes. The 100S is created by hand modifying the 100W PCB assembly. The cuts (there are two) are done with a Dremel tool and there is nothing to worry about. The signal re-routing is done with coax wire. We stand behind the amp with our warranty. The chassis is also new to accommodate the resonance controls; bias test jacks and bias pots. Stop worrying and play the thing!
looks like R29 and R61 are lifted and the trace cut but where do the coax wires go to?

Back