Best sounding ENGL amp demos/recordings?

easstudios

Just curious to understand the ENGL sound a little better and trying to find some great sounding recordings of them. I’ve had the Mark 1 versions of Savage, Powerball and Fireball in the studio so I’m somewhat familiar with those but it would still be cool to hear some killer sounding examples of all their amps.

I’m not really a fan of their build quality and IMO the price should really be a lot less to reflect their construction methods….. that said, it has no bearing on whether an amp can sound killer so I’m really just looking to hear the best examples of them (ideally mic’d up rather than camera in the room tones).

Anyone got any good examples from Youtube to post?

ENGL VS

ENGL SE/Savage

But when it comes to ENGL I prefer the Savage/Blackmore/Artist DNA.

Last edited:
id like to have an engl in the stable at some point, ill probably just get one of their preamps though instead another amp. there is a savage 120 thats been on my craigslist for $2200, maybe if he goes down to $1800 or something ill snag it

The Chop Tones demos of the Inferno and Morse are pretty spot on. The videos sound almost identical to what I hear in the room and really showcase the different tones you can get out of them. Keep in mind those 2 amps have ENGL DNA but aren't as compressed as most of their other models.

Here is a group videos from Euge Valovirta that are good examples of the ENGL sound.

id like to have an engl in the stable at some point, ill probably just get one of their preamps though instead another amp. there is a savage 120 thats been on my craigslist for $2200, maybe if he goes down to $1800 or something ill snag it
Get that savage . I need one . They are the peak Engl imo and super awesome. On my list

Thanks so much guys! This is turning into a cool resource of ENGL tones. So far the Choptones demos sound best to me. Also digging @Guitarjon 's ENGL tones.

That said, before I started this thread, I felt like I was missing something with ENGL tones but I'm pretty convinced I just don't vibe that much with them. Euge's demos summed it up for me - I love the sound of his playing, but I didn't like the tones as what he gets with other amps. There was one where he flipped to his Marshall and it reminded me of what I was missing. I think it works quite well for the powermetally sounding stuff, its kind of classic and modern at the same time

Thanks so much guys! This is turning into a cool resource of ENGL tones. So far the Choptones demos sound best to me. Also digging @Guitarjon 's ENGL tones.

That said, before I started this thread, I felt like I was missing something with ENGL tones but I'm pretty convinced I just don't vibe that much with them. Euge's demos summed it up for me - I love the sound of his playing, but I didn't like the tones as what he gets with other amps. There was one where he flipped to his Marshall and it reminded me of what I was missing. I think it works quite well for the powermetally sounding stuff, its kind of classic and modern at the same time
The Invader is the open metal version of a high gain engl . More Marshally : I know Dan loved that one

The Invader is the open metal version of a high gain engl . More Marshally : I know Dan loved that one

A guy I know has been trying to sell me his Invader for a while, I might see if I can borrow it for a few days to see how I get on. I sort of remember liking the Savage Mk1 in person, so I’d be curious to try a Savage mk1/2 or Artist or Blackmore too (Invader might be cool for me but I’d prefer the more simple circuit). SE 670 would also be cool to try, a lot of people love that one and a buddy sent me a clip recently that sounded cool.

I’m not really fussed about it sounding like a Marshalls, although perhaps the more dynamic and open sounding ones would suit me better

Rectifier is what Silenoz said in guitar world . Maybe both ? But man one of the best tones ever
Fredman said it was a 50/50 blend of Savage and Boss GX-700, believe it or not. You can see the Savage in studio footage from that era, and Silzenoz had several GX-700s in his live rig.

Necgrophagist's albums are Engl classics. This one was the rare E860 rackhead.

Fredman said it was a 50/50 blend of Savage and Boss GX-700, believe it or not. You can see the Savage in studio footage from that era, and Silzenoz had several GX-700s in his live rig.

Necgrophagist's albums are Engl classics. This one was the rare E860 rackhead.

On misanthropic he used rectifier though right ? I just read an old guitar world abs he said that album. But this one here is the savage boss comb ?

On misanthropic he used rectifier though right ? I just read an old guitar world abs he said that album. But this one here is the savage boss comb ?
I misremembered—it was Silenoz who wrote what they used on Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Here's what he said:

for the PEM recording we used the Engl 120 Savage head and my Boss GX-700 preamp and mixed them pretty much equally, 2 left and right.

Back