Best sounding ENGL amp demos/recordings?

Agreed 100 percent. That record is the fucking antithesis of the soft, safe, no edge mixes of today. I can not believe they remixed this, it’s by far my most hated remix of all time. That album was absolutely fucking perfect, sounded perfect, everything.

Just listened to a few minutes of the PEM remaster. Jesus it's so much weaker and softer than the original mix. What were they thinking? Did they not use the original as a reference? Like they must have gone back and A/B'd the mixes against each other at some point.

Maybe they all have horrific tinnitus and the old album is too prominent in the upper mids for their ears or something. That's about the only thing I can think of that even starts to explain it.

It's amazing how much of a difference it all makes. The mixing engineer really is the "5th" member of every recorded band, huh.

Just listened to a few minutes of the PEM remaster. Jesus it's so much weaker and softer than the original mix. What were they thinking? Did they not use the original as a reference? Like they must have gone back and A/B'd the mixes against each other at some point.

Maybe they all have horrific tinnitus and the old album is too prominent in the upper mids for their ears or something. That's about the only thing I can think of that even starts to explain it.

It's amazing how much of a difference it all makes. The mixing engineer really is the "5th" member of every recorded band, huh.
Agreed, they fucking neutered it. Whenever there’s an option for original recording or remastered, I go original. Most remasters sound like modern, polite, squashed BS in comparison.

I Really like this song. do they always have 2 vocalist? It seems i'm going down the Darkane Rabit hole when i get home from work.

They are so killer, I haven’t followed them in years, I’m not even sure they are still a band, but I absolutely loved their style. The record this is on is so incredibly underrated, and has some absolutely killer thrash and melodic death riffs. Can’t figure out why they never took off more.

I’ll also throw in another studio fredman masterpiece that never took off. Nightrage. I honestly think this album might be the finest sounding record fredman ever did. I believe this is An Engl savage 120 and a 5150. It’s eerily close to the clayman tone, but its it’s own thing at the same time. Insane record. It’s like the crown, dimension zero, at the gates, and in flames made a record together. But then again, all of those bands spawned from 2 bands anyways haha!

Just listened to a few minutes of the PEM remaster. Jesus it's so much weaker and softer than the original mix. What were they thinking? Did they not use the original as a reference? Like they must have gone back and A/B'd the mixes against each other at some point. I’m

It’s probably the biggest buzzkill I’ve ever heard. It is so god awful. I mean, their new sound is much darker I get it, but bands change, evolve etc; but previous work is supposed to be a snippet of time in that bands history. I can’t fathom a good reason to remix this, it’s so drastically terrible the songs don’t even sound like that great of songs anymore. Just awful.

I’d say the savage 120 was used almost as much as the 5150 on anything that came out of studio fredman during those days….. soulwork had them all over their records prior to natural born chaos.

I’ll throw a throwback into the mix, one of the heaviest sounds I had ever heard at the time. But this is all savage 120 I believe. I chased that sound for years.

Huge Darkane fan here. I'm pretty sure they used this amp on the Demonic Art album (not a fan of that album). I remember reaching out to Christofer to ask him what gear they used for the Rusted Angel album, and I forgot what he said! Doh!

But I love the tone on Expanding Senses it's just so massive, even if the drums sound a little bit overproduced, it's one of my favorite drum sounds

Huge Darkane fan here. I'm pretty sure they used this amp on the Demonic Art album (not a fan of that album). I remember reaching out to Christofer to ask him what gear they used for the Rusted Angel album, and I forgot what he said! Doh!

But I love the tone on Expanding Senses it's just so massive, even if the drums sound a little bit overproduced, it's one of my favorite drum sounds
Layers of Lies is Savage 120 too.

PEM is such a kick ass album. The rumor on the remix is because shagrath or silenoz can’t remember which one absolutely hated the drums on it and wanted a natural sound. However, I think they’re wrong lol.

PEM is such a kick ass album. The rumor on the remix is because shagrath or silenoz can’t remember which one absolutely hated the drums on it and wanted a natural sound. However, I think they’re wrong lol.

The drums sounds fucking great on it, it completely fit the music and the vibe. I mean it is what it is, it’s their choice, but I’d be shocked if one person says it was the right choice to do.

I will not listen to this . Thank you both for saving me from this pain lol

If I just wasn't so damn cheap to spend at least $2600 on one. Would it really be that much of an upgrade to my 6505+ or is it a completely different animal?

The drums sounds fucking great on it, it completely fit the music and the vibe. I mean it is what it is, it’s their choice, but I’d be shocked if one person says it was the right choice to do.
I 100% agree and wish dimmu would go back to this style.

If I just wasn't so damn cheap to spend at least $2600 on one. Would it really be that much of an upgrade to my 6505+ or is it a completely different animal?

A savage and a 5150 are nothing alike to me at all. I mean maybe the fact that they are both very midrange forward, but that’s about it .

I don't know if I'd fully call it an upgrade, no more than calling a JCM 800 an upgrade to a 6505+. Both have pretty solid build quality, but are different beasts in sound. One isn't better than the other, just different.

Back