Buying Used Pickups

8len8

If you buy used pickups are you ever concerned the previous owner might have messed with the pole pieces and screwed up the tone of the pickup?

If you buy used pickups are you ever concerned the previous owner might have messed with the pole pieces and screwed up the tone of the pickup?
The pole price make far less difference than you would imagine. There’s really only a few alloy choices. 1010, most commonly seen in PAFs, and 1018 or 1022, most common in modern pickups. 1010 being the softest and least bright and 1022 being the hardest and brightest bury we’re talking a micro-adjustment of the treble control of an amp to compensate. It’s not going to change the overall characteristic of the pickup. The number 1 influencers by a far mile are the wind pattern and the magnets, but I would bet most people not mess with the magnets.

Last edited:
The pole price make far less difference than you would imagine. There’s really only a few alloy choices. 1010, most commonly seen in PAFs, and 1018 or 1022, most common in modern pickups. 1010 being the softest and least bright and 1022 being the hardest and brightest bury we’re talking a micro-adjustment of the treble control of an amp to compensate. It’s not going to change the overall characteristic of the pickup. The number 1 influencers by a far mile are the wind pattern and the magnets, but I would bet most people not mess with the magnets.
I mean adjusting their height.

Only thing I am concerned is if the previous owner had the PUs in a box with other PUs rattling against them and discharging the magnets over time.

• Haha
Reactions: PDC
The pole pieces are adjustable, so if the pup arrives and you disagree with where they are, just screw them back to where you want.
I’ve bought 50-100 pups in my life and only one arrived with issues. Returned it.

Reactions: PDC
The pole pieces are adjustable, so if the pup arrives and you disagree with where they are, just screw them back to where you want.
I’ve bought 50-100 pups in my life and only one arrived with issues. Returned it.
Yeah, but Craigslist doesn't always have a return policy. I think those are the fuckheads OP is worried about.

Yeah, but Craigslist doesn't always have a return policy. I think those are the fuckheads OP is worried about.
Very true.
OP, if you’re worried about local stuff get a multimeter and bring it with to test the pickups. You’ll at least know if the output is still kosher.

I mean adjusting their height.
Well, winders don’t set them for an optimal tone. That’s the whole purpose, is for the user to fine tune the height based on the various string radiuses used on guitars. Again, very subtle unless in extreme adjustments. The height of the pickup itself makes a bigger difference. Meaning raising the pickup 1/32” vs. raising the screws 1/32”.

Last edited:
Never, don't worry about it.

Just set them back to uniform height and tweak from there as part of your setup.

I usually wrap them in a few layers of kitchen paper and close them away. That way magnetcontact is prevented.
you can store them close as long as they they don’t have opposing forces facing one another it’s okay to store:

Slug:Screw <-> Slug:Screw is fine. But NOT
Slug:Screw <-> Screw:Slug because the screw coils have the same poles pushing against one another

Magnets are actually stored like this and lose no gauss:

dude, do you know much about pickups?? the pole pieces are meant to be screwed up from flush so as to customize to your guitar's needs and setup.

any of the above about magnet discharge or anything else is fantastical and not happening

you think back when billy gibbons was recording tres amigos that he was hand-wringing about if his oickups may have sat too close together in a box?

just install the pickups and play your guitar

Back