China is producing some nice inexpensive guitars, look out America

  • Thread starter Thread starter Geo
  • Start date Start date
Geo

Geo

Well-known member
Picked this up "open Box" for $300.

I added a trem stopper, a new set of strings and did a few minor adjustments and BAM, a really nice player.

Even the pickups sound pretty good.

WP_20260814_14_09_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20260814_14_18_50_Pro.jpg
 
Could be, it's supposed to be poplar.

It sounds pretty good, I'll make sure not to chew on it.

It's always a roll of the dice 🤷

When you get one of these imports that's actually solid, it's always a hell of a deal

The problem is that half of the time the wood is too wet to even go into a fireplace, which means that youre in dire straights if the neck twists or bows
 
It's always a roll of the dice 🤷

When you get one of these imports that's actually solid, it's always a hell of a deal

The problem is that half of the time the wood is too wet to even go into a fireplace, which means that youre in dire straights if the neck twists or bows
I picked up one of those Kramer Pacer Classics real cheap. Total garbage. Pickups unusable. Pickup rings screwed on crooked. Had to replace the locking nut.

But this thing is real nice. Nice binding on the neck. truss rod worked perfectly. Action low and still plays good. The fit and finish is real nice.

WP_20260814_14_08_33_Pro.jpg


WP_20260814_14_10_06_Pro.jpg
 
I picked up one of those Kramer Pacer Classics real cheap. Total garbage. Pickups unusable. Pickup rings screwed on crooked. Had to replace the locking nut.

But this thing is real nice. Nice binding on the neck. truss rod worked perfectly. Action low and still plays good. The fit and finish is real nice.

View attachment 456416

View attachment 456417

Here's hopin the woods good and it stays straight - the finish looks great
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
the made in Vietnam IYV guitar i bought my kid, plays so good i thought about keeping it for me and buying her something else :ROFLMAO:
cost me $150.

There is a larger conversation to be had here...about American pride. The assumption that "Made in America" is automatically better, and more trustworthy, is being replaced by entitlement, resentment, distraction, corruption, etc.... but thats a bummer and not as fun to talk about as "YAY, CHEAP GUITARS!!" so i'll just keep it light, and talk about that.:geek:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
A friend on a tight budget got a £130 Harley Benton 7 string recently, he got it shipped to me since I expected it would need a full setup and maybe some other work, given its price point. It did need a full setup, nut slots cleaning up, and the neck pocket was routed slightly crooked so the strings were closer to the edge of the fretboard on the bass side. Not bad enough for them to be falling off the edge when fretting but the neck pocket was tight and didn’t allow adjustment there. Some light router work and that was fixed. I expected to give it a full fret level and crown but the fretwork was surprisingly very nice, nicer than some of my more expensive guitars. Even had rounded over fret ends (which look like they were pre-done before installation). The pickups even sounded good.

I liked it so much I bought the white/maple fretboard version for myself. Neck alignment was perfect on mine but fretwork not as good (still ‘pretty good’ though and no need for a fret level currently). It did also need a full setup, and initially had very low output due to the + connection on output jack touching the conductive paint inside the cavity.

Overall I think the bones were good and just needed a bit of work to make them play and sound great. They were much better than I expected at that price point, but I also have not been guitar shopping for a new guitar in like 10 years. I suppose how they hold up over time is the question now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
American quality has gone down and Asian quality has gone up.

If I were going to play it a bunch, I would probably put a Gotoh 1996t on it.
 
I purchased three Chibanez guitars from different sellers on AliExpress; 2 out of three are good. The third had finish issues under the body clear coat, but it's a solid player, stays in tune, was easy to setup, etc., it's just a fugly finish which is too bad since the guitar is solid, but it's not worth putting in extra effort.

For around $300 it's not a big deal at this price.

One of my Chibanez is nearly flawless, I upgraded the pickups, and changed the knobs from black to white, and the pickup selector from black to chrome...on a $300 guitar that Ibanez won't make or allow me to order from their custom shop, for any price.


after.png
 
If one is comfortable with the Floyd Special and sets one up overall these things can be great.


Upgrade the pups and you are set, for S type guitars I still feel MIM or MII are nicer nvm MIJ.


All things said the Chinese stuff ain't bad and these Jacksons are great 👍


Epi Les Pauls are friggin fantastic though and they really are amazing though and they are Chinese so yeah :dunno:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
If one is comfortable with the Floyd Special and sets one up overall these things can be great.


Upgrade the pups and you are set, for S type guitars I still feel MIM or MII are nicer nvm MIJ.


All things said the Chinese stuff ain't bad and these Jacksons are great 👍
The floyd rose special is fine if you don't intend to dive bomb all the time.
 
The floyd rose special is fine if you don't intend to dive bomb all the time.
Yup you could block the trem or deck it.....





With a nice set up then you kind of have an MIM/MII level instrument with some Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios blocked trem or upgraded one down the road like a GT1996 or a Floyd Rose 1000/1500.


Its not bad and looks dope *_*
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Geo

Similar threads

Back
Top