China is producing some nice inexpensive guitars, look out America

  • Thread starter Thread starter Geo
  • Start date Start date
Cool, now we just need to remember how to play in bands...and not just sit at how getting tones.

Good luck barking up that tree, there's like a half dozen of us (out of over 25k members!) that actually play music in bands here :ROFLMAO:

Most members have a high paying residency at madison square bedroom

Although IIRC op has aged out of gigging, which is the respectable version of this
 
“look out America” 💔

I like your guitar and glad you got a good one, Geo - congratulations. I pretty much default to Jackson more often than not. I also have poplar on my property and when they fall I cut them up for firewood. It burns like paper but it's full of water at the outset - takes minimum 1 full yr on my south facing hill to dry b/f it’s ready for the wood stove, but it’s also very humid on the east coast.

I only wish Jackson (ie: Fender) would not produce their stuff in China, especially the Jackson pro series. Granted I am triggered (admittadly) by any sentiment proclaiming that China has now set a new benchmark. This ‘outsourcing’ idea started during Clinton, but it’s also been promoted by every president since :cautious:. I’m losing confidence we (the US) will ever bounce back. IMO any country that does not actually produce a tangible good will eventually go the way of the dodo bird. I’m not suggesting the US will collapse, but I never thought I’d see the collapse of US domestic manufacturing in my lifetime :mad:

Nonetheless - nice guitar and thanks for sharing. I played one of the X series at GC briefly and came away feeling the neck was a little disappointing in its construction, but that’s true for a lot of the import guitars, so par for course I suppose. The lack of properly dried lumber for these low cost items seems to be ‘the way’ to cut costs significantly and I hope yours stays straight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
I just learned that song the other night.
But it just dont sound right as a 190 pound white dude singing it
A worthy endeavor. He was one of a kind so don't feel bad. One of my favorite artists from the golden oldies era.
 
“look out America” 💔

I like your guitar and glad you got a good one, Geo - congratulations. I pretty much default to Jackson more often than not. I also have poplar on my property and when they fall I cut them up for firewood. It burns like paper but it's full of water at the outset - takes minimum 1 full yr on my south facing hill to dry b/f it’s ready for the wood stove, but it’s also very humid on the east coast.

I only wish Jackson (ie: Fender) would not produce their stuff in China, especially the Jackson pro series. Granted I am triggered (admittadly) by any sentiment proclaiming that China has now set a new benchmark. This ‘outsourcing’ idea started during Clinton, but it’s also been promoted by every president since :cautious:. I’m losing confidence we (the US) will ever bounce back. IMO any country that does not actually produce a tangible good will eventually go the way of the dodo bird. I’m not suggesting the US will collapse, but I never thought I’d see the collapse of US domestic manufacturing in my lifetime :mad:

Nonetheless - nice guitar and thanks for sharing. I played one of the X series at GC briefly and came away feeling the neck was a little disappointing in its construction, but that’s true for a lot of the import guitars, so par for course I suppose. The lack of properly dried lumber for these low cost items seems to be ‘the way’ to cut costs significantly and I hope yours stays straight.
The body is poplar but the neck is maple and finished. I would be surprised if the neck warped.
 
I’ve never owned a MIC guitar.

I own a ‘90 Fender MIJ 50’s RI Strat that’s awesome.

I also own an amazing ‘03 Epiphone MiJ Elite LP Custom with stock USA hardware and pickups.

And lastly a ‘90 Epiphone MIK Sheraton II that came with upgraded Seymour Duncan pickups and Schaller hardware.

The Strat and Epi LP Custom both cost me $300 each, and the Sheraton came in at $275.

I’v had a lot of other MIM and MIJ guitars over the years, but these are just amazing guitars.

I haven’t bought electric guitars in quite a while, so I haven’t been exposed to any of these new MIC offerings.

If I did find a MIC guitar to buy, it would have to be used and at a killer price.

I’m kinda of a cheap F*k when it comes to buying gear.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
1786823356662.png
 
Good luck barking up that tree, there's like a half dozen of us (out of over 25k members!) that actually play music in bands here :ROFLMAO:

Most members have a high paying residency at madison square bedroom

Although IIRC op has aged out of gigging, which is the respectable version of this


I think many of us have aged out of playing live gigs. For perspective, I played my first paying gig at the age of 14 in 1977, my last in 1995 at 32. Some of you weren't even born while I was gigging. I played the local CT, NYC-CT-Boston, and regional circuits from PA/NJ/NY through all of New England for most of that time, ending in the mid-90s in metro Atlanta. Many years, many bands, many genres, many roles, many shows, many roadtrips, etc..

age and arthritis have impacted my playing; when I think of what I used to be able to do/play vs now, it's disheartening. but I haven't given up completely, and do more keyboards with organ/synth action instead of weighted keys for the same reasons...but weighted keys are still easier and less painful than playing guitar.

It's why I don't share clips here or anywhere, because I remember what I was once capable of in the past vs today; and it's not pretty. IMO.

I don't have any "impressive" clips of me in my prime, most of our gigs and practices were never recorded; those that were the quality was bad because we didn't have good recording gear or money to spend on it, demo tapes are long lost except my last band (death/black metal band) where I was on bass, not guitar - and even that is only cassette tape.

I stopped playing completely after 1995 until around 2005; I still had my full ADA guitar and bass rigs and a few instruments gathering dust, and got back into it...with thoughts of bands again; but by then I had a wife, kid, mortgage, and work that required international and US travel regularly...so no bands.

I'm fine in madison square living room with more gear than makes any practical sense; I'm fine being retired; I'm fine being a hobbyist.

Frankly, unless they were good friends of mine, I'm not interested in seeing/hearing a bunch of old geezers/fossils around my age on stage looking like escape from the nursing home, but more power to them if they're doing it.


Blackmore was one of my main inspirations to play guitar, and seeing him with DP playing the encore with SOTW was sad knowing what he once was capable of...that's similar to my situation, just that I refuse to put myself through it,; not interest in criticism, ridicule or pity. :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo
I think many of us have aged out of playing live gigs. For perspective, I played my first paying gig at the age of 14 in 1977, my last in 1995 at 32. Some of you weren't even born while I was gigging. I played the local CT, NYC-CT-Boston, and regional circuits from PA/NJ/NY through all of New England for most of that time, ending in the mid-90s in metro Atlanta. Many years, many bands, many genres, many roles, many shows, many roadtrips, etc..

age and arthritis have impacted my playing; when I think of what I used to be able to do/play vs now, it's disheartening. but I haven't given up completely, and do more keyboards with organ/synth action instead of weighted keys for the same reasons...but weighted keys are still easier and less painful than playing guitar.

It's why I don't share clips here or anywhere, because I remember what I was once capable of in the past vs today; and it's not pretty. IMO.

I don't have any "impressive" clips of me in my prime, most of our gigs and practices were never recorded; those that were the quality was bad because we didn't have good recording gear or money to spend on it, demo tapes are long lost except my last band (death/black metal band) where I was on bass, not guitar - and even that is only cassette tape.

I stopped playing completely after 1995 until around 2005; I still had my full ADA guitar and bass rigs and a few instruments gathering dust, and got back into it...with thoughts of bands again; but by then I had a wife, kid, mortgage, and work that required international and US travel regularly...so no bands.

I'm fine in madison square living room with more gear than makes any practical sense; I'm fine being retired; I'm fine being a hobbyist.

Frankly, unless they were good friends of mine, I'm not interested in seeing/hearing a bunch of old geezers/fossils around my age on stage looking like escape from the nursing home, but more power to them if they're doing it.


Blackmore was one of my main inspirations to play guitar, and seeing him with DP playing the encore with SOTW was sad knowing what he once was capable of...that's similar to my situation, just that I refuse to put myself through it,; not interest in criticism, ridicule or pity. :D
Being someone of your era, the forums seem to have de-evolved into a place of deterioration with the shills/moderators and marketing hype, as well as the parroting echo chambers...there's not much left now. seemed like a good idea 20 years ago though. but, like most things theoretical...they don't pan out in real life. might be time to go back to cassettes and radio airplay...at least then, there was hope.
 
Being someone of your era, the forums seem to have de-evolved into a place of deterioration with the shills/moderators and marketing hype, as well as the parroting echo chambers...there's not much left now. seemed like a good idea 20 years ago though. but, like most things theoretical...they don't pan out in real life. might be time to go back to cassettes and radio airplay...at least then, there was hope.


different generations have different experiences; makes it tough to relate sometimes.

I don't expect someone who wasn't even born when The Beatles, Hendrix or EVH were new to understand or relate to it the same way as those who experienced it first hand, or shortly after. Then again, there are things I experienced first hand (grunge, nu metal, rap) that I had no interest in.

we all have our subjective views, even about objective things. Keeps it interesting ; even idiots can have occasional brilliant moments; and geniuses can have occasional stupid moments. We all just filter it for ourselves.

My Gen Z kid has his own musical interests, but the music of my life has a big influence on his music...he grew up listening to music I like, and found his own favorites among my music, and his own...e.g., some bands I liked but wasn't crazy about; and bands I didn't like from the '60s - '80s, he managed to find on his own...but my music tastes clearly influenced his
 
  • Like
Reactions: Geo

Similar threads

Back
Top