Costly mistakes you have made with gear...not at all parody

  • Thread starter Thread starter S̷͖͑m̵͎͂á̵̺s̸͚̈́h̴̬̑
  • Start date Start date
I wish I was like these guys complaining about chasing the tone in their head. My problem is I want every tone that pops into my head and every tone I hear on albums. One day I’m convinced I need to be a Tele picker into a clean Fender, the next 8 string active pickups into a 5150. Champagne tastes, beer budget.

But luckily I haven’t made any costly mistakes and blown anything. (I wouldn’t pay to blow, maybe the other way around- I’m selfish). Only really stupid mistake was selling a Charvel 750xl for hundreds of dollars 15 years ago and watching every one since sell for thousands of dollars.

I did the same thing

I picked up an ‘89 Charvel Amber 750 XL in mint condition w/OHSC for $500 OTD at a pawnshop 5 years .

I kept it for a about a year and then sold it and some other guitars to a local guitar dealer for some decent money.

I sure didn’t get the $2500+ they’re going for now.

It looked like this one

IMG_5424.jpeg
 
Another time I used the wrong adapter on my MXR CAE wah......

Fortunately the dudes at MXR/Dunlop still fixed it for free even though I told them I was an idiot and I offered to pay. All I had to pay was shipping to send and that's it.


Cool people at MXR/Dunlop 👍
 
I was breaking in a speaker with the amp too and pushing it hard but I always cranked it..... My friends would crank it and use the head all the time for their band and they loved it so much the guitar player ended up getting a Mesa..... I even left it plugged in feedbacking for an 1+hour by accident..... It never red plated or anything then.

I did put blankets over the cab but it was a 112...... This was a head version of the Classic 30. Put it in a separate room too.....


Maybe I was hard on it, maybe it was the Russian tubes werent from a reputable dealer...... Just random from eBay.....before then I'd never seen red plating anything maybe light orange at best. These things were nuclear, pure red.


The tubes were the only difference really and I didn't crank it any more or less than I did any other time. As said I left this on for 1+ hours by accident feedbacking one time and the whole neighborhood was balking and nothing happened, no red plating, no smoke nothing even after hours of gigs my friends would use it for in their Sublime Cover band. The amp would be blasted and keep up with a PA and a full band and sounded glorious.


All in all IMO and IME it's just best to use reputable brands and buy from reputable dealers and just use gear as it's intended.


Since, I still crank amps, do stupid shit sometimes like run music through them at full blast, nothings happened using reputable tubes from reputable dealers.... All in all IME and IMO its just best to use reputable brands/dealers and using amps/gear as intended and I haven't had any issues just following common sense and it works for me :dunno:
 
Last edited:
T
I blew an amp once.... Wasn't cool, shit sucked and it was a nice amp. An MIA Classic 30.....its a cathode based amp so no bias needed and I'd always swap GTs and JJs no problem.


Transformer melted as well as shit on the board. And I had more than enough power too using an Eminence Screaming Eagle....


I used NOS Russian tubes I got on Ebay. People on the Internet/Forums said it was fine but they red plated and didn't notice and by the time I did it was too late. Shit sucked because it sounded great and buddys used it for their Sublime Cover band and they loved it more than their amps and PA. It sounded tits. Always would crank the shit out of it and nothing would ever go wrong until I used those NOS Russian tubes on Ebay people would recommend.


It was supposed to be military grade and robust and everyone said they were safe.....I got the EV versions which cost more and were supposed to last forever and sound great. Shit blew up my amp.


At least I got it for 300 bucks used after winning money at the Casino. But when that shit blew no one was going to replace it for me even though many online and on forums said the tubes were safe.


Maybe other than that the stupidest thing I did was use a 12 volt for my Hardwire CM2 because I thought it could handle it as it had an internal voltage doubler. Nope..... That was me just being an idiot.


Probably the worst was the Classic 30 so after that I just don't use shit that isn't from a reputable source/brand, don't just take dudes word on whatever or anything and just follow the spec sheets/official data and common sense.


Cool thing about the amp was that once I actually left it on for 2+ hours going to In-N-Out, it was feeding back loud as fuck that whole time and never blew up. It only blew up when I used those Military Russian tubes everyone recommended from forums on eBay. This was way way back I must have been a teenager.


To this day I always check my amps for red plating on the tubes after some long sessions 😂
There are sublime cover bands?
 
I was breaking in a speaker with the amp too and pushing it hard but I always cranked it..... My friends would crank it and use the head all the time for their band and they loved it so much the guitar player ended up getting a Mesa..... I even left it plugged in feedbacking for an 1+hour by accident..... It never red plated or anything then.

I did put blankets over the cab but it was a 112...... This was a head version of the Classic 30. Put it in a separate room too.....


Maybe I was hard on it, maybe it was the Russian tubes werent from a reputable dealer...... Just random from eBay.....before then I'd never seen red plating anything maybe light orange at best. These things were nuclear, pure red.


The tubes were the only difference really and I didn't crank it any more or less than I did any other time. As said I left this on for 1+ hours by accident feedbacking one time and the whole neighborhood was balking and nothing happened, no red plating, no smoke nothing even after hours of gigs my friends would use it for in their Sublime Cover band. The amp would be blasted and keep up with a PA and a full band and sounded glorious.


All in all IMO and IME it's just best to use reputable brands and buy from reputable dealers and just use gear as it's intended.


Since I still crank amps, do stupid shit sometimes like run music through them at full blast, nothings happened using reputable tubes from reputable dealers.... All in all IME and IMO its just best to use reputable brands/dealers and using amps/gear as intended and I haven't had any issues just following common sense and it works for me :dunno:
1787380008438.gif
 
I did the same thing

I picked up an ‘89 Charvel Amber 750 XL in mint condition w/OHSC for $500 OTD at a pawnshop 5 years .

I kept it for a about a year and then sold it and some other guitars to a local guitar dealer for some decent money.

I sure didn’t get the $2500+ they’re going for now.

It looked like this one

View attachment 457135
Beautiful. Mine was a very yellow amber like Shawn Lane’s.
 
T

There are sublime cover bands?


It was a local Sublime cover band in High School but they went on to do gigs at the House of Blues around town and other gigs in the surrounding cities too.....

They were cool people and I would always lend them my amp when I could as one of them had an oversized 412. It was pretty big or seemed big with the Classic 30 on it.

Arum was the guitar dude and he played Fenders mainly in High School but last I saw him he was playing Charvels and was using a Charvel DK24 with a Mesa.
 
Last edited:
Yeah don't mean to sound like a broken record and just coming in to share why I'm kind of over protective with my gear. I loved that amp and well it just makes me not take gear for granted especially now that it cost a lot and it's harder to come by.

I don't have get a lot of gear but when I can I try to get something nice and when I do I want to take care of it. To this day I still remember that Classic 30 and it wasn't bad...... It was pretty solid and it kicked ass looking back at it. The amp wasn't bad for what it was and everyone loved it.

It sounded pretty good and well there were a lot of memories in that amp now that I think about it....... It wasn't bad and it was one of my first amps and my second tube amp. The other one got stolen at a backyard gig and my first one was a Fender Super 60 112 Red Knob, those weren't to bad either.
 
One day I forgot all cabs are not 16 ohms ( all mine are ) . Plugged my cab into 8 ohms
I had used 8 ohms in 15 years . Was not a friendly reminder
 
One day I forgot all cabs are not 16 ohms ( all mine are ) . Plugged my cab into 8 ohms
I had used 8 ohms in 15 years . Was not a friendly reminder
Wow that's scary it should be a safe mismatch. I've done this too and didn't have problems but sometimes you don't know but usually as said it isn't dangerous. If it's like 16 ohm tap into 4 ohm load and vice versa then that is pure danger.
 
The dumbest thing I ever did was play thru my Splawn Quickrod with no speaker load. They were Small Blocks, which is Scott's take on a Greenback. I'm whacking at the strings and messing with knobs and then I realized my friend plugged the speaker cable into my FX return by mistake (we were swapping heads around). But no tranny's were blown.

Personally, I think it would be impossible to blow one of these trannys :dunno:



H1JGl1Vl.jpg
I've done this too by accident and I was so embarrassed. Nothing happened but you don't want to mess around with stuff like that at all.
 
Wow that's scary it should be a safe mismatch. I've done this too and didn't have problems but sometimes you don't know but usually as said it isn't dangerous. If it's like 16 ohm tap into 4 ohm load and vice versa then that is pure danger.
Man it still blew my power tubes and a fuse .
 
Man it still blew my power tubes and a fuse .
If youre stepping down and crank it from 2:1 ratio it may not be all that safe then possibly or a safe mismatch.

I did it with my SS Katana Artist and nothing happened but for SS amps it's not safe to have a safe mismatch that is say an 8ohm speaker to 16ohm tap for SS at all and that's what I did. Usually with tube amps the 2:1 ratio applies but you may safer with a load>tap vs load<tap.... When you're cranking especially with load<tap you're probably just putting to much stress on the amp one figures and it may blow tubes/fuse even with a 2:1 ratio possibly or in this case :dunno:

Thankfully it was just tubes and fuse and not the whole amp. If it was a mono/stereo cab in 8ohm you may have plugged into a 4ohm load or something but not sure if that figures. If there were ground loop issues or electronic issues in the place to that may have contributed as well but who knows 🤔
 
Last edited:
Not buying a IIC+ in 2014. And not buying III and IV too, they were dirt cheap.
I feel you.
Around that time I could buy a IIC+ for around $1700 in Europe, but even then I thought, 'nah, too good to be true'. Two days later the thing was sold and I saw a HNAD post from a local guy on a Mesa Boogie forum. :aww::bash:

Same with a Hamer Californian Elite in Aztec Gold around 2013 or 2014 ish. A grail guitar for me.
I owned two of the cheaper import ones, but this was the one I was really lusting for. Tried to haggle a bit too aggressively (as my cashflow was... 'different' back then compared to today 🤠 ), the guy wouldn't budge... $1900 ish... Now they're 2-3 times more expensive IF you can find them.

Looked like this... 🥴
1787396515630.png


But last year at least I got a cheap look-a-like for the time being.

no name $400.jpg
 
It’s like one person here is on a mission to make the most posts in the thread. 🤔

By the way NOS Russian tubes, particularly from the old St. Petersburg factory are some of the best tubes available. Hence the price on matched triplets of Winged C 6550s. Or the old 6550Bs.
 
I feel you.
Around that time I could buy a IIC+ for around $1700 in Europe, but even then I thought, 'nah, too good to be true'. Two days later the thing was sold and I saw a HNAD post from a local guy on a Mesa Boogie forum. :aww::bash:

Same with a Hamer Californian Elite in Aztec Gold around 2013 or 2014 ish. A grail guitar for me.
I owned two of the cheaper import ones, but this was the one I was really lusting for. Tried to haggle a bit too aggressively (as my cashflow was... 'different' back then compared to today 🤠 ), the guy wouldn't budge... $1900 ish... Now they're 2-3 times more expensive IF you can find them.

Looked like this... 🥴
View attachment 457147

But last year at least I got a cheap look-a-like for the time being.

View attachment 457148
Damn, that hurts even me reading it. Hope we get a chance to run it back one day.
 
Back
Top