Cowboys Vs. Rust

Cowboys Vs. Rust...which was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Comparing apples and oranges here. RIP is one of the greatest thrash albums of all time but was the peak of the genre at the time, the other is a genre defining album that influenced every single US heavy/groove metal band in the 90s/2000s. Just on my personal genre preference I’d definitely pick RIP but I think they’re equally influential for different reasons.

I love both, but Cowboys takes it for me, the riffs, the whole band at that point...Pantera was the cure for the 80's ending for me and got me through the first half of the 90's. When I heard both albums in 1990, Cowboys hooked me right from hearing Dime's first riff. With RIP, I thought it was cool, but not as heavy as Peace Sells even though Marty was of course awesome. Plus Chris Poland is a different player than Marty, but has such a cool and unique style too, so I didn't feel like Megadeth had never had a great lead player. But even all that said, I was thinking about both of them and actually struggling on which I liked better and why, both are so epic, so I thought I'd toss the question out there.

Not even close. CFH is fantastic but if you want to have a chance, you'd have to talk about how Vulgar stacks up to RIP. To me RIP IS thr best Thrash album of all time out of that scene. Riffs, drumming, and leads. Insane. Vinnie Paul was great but he was a very straight ahead drummer where Menza had a feel and aggressiveness to his style. Also less clicky and sound like proper drums. That's all preference though but I still think RIP can't be touched. SLAYER'S seasons in the abyss was also pretty killer. Pantera was in tough in that era.

Not even close. CFH is fantastic but if you want to have a chance, you'd have to talk about how Vulgar stacks up to RIP. To me RIP IS thr best Thrash album of all time out of that scene. Riffs, drumming, and leads. Insane. Vinnie Paul was great but he was a very straight ahead drummer where Menza had a feel and aggressiveness to his style. Also less clicky and sound like proper drums. That's all preference though but I still think RIP can't be touched. SLAYER'S seasons in the abyss was also pretty killer. Pantera was in tough in that era.
Yah, I mean, you can compare this stuff a lot of different ways. Vulgar's my favorite too. But I'm comparing these cause I remember what it was like back in 1990 and man, these albums came out within months of each other and would go on both to be some of metal's finest moments. Pantera kicking off their heavy era, Megadeth starting to wrap up theirs but in a big way (no offense to those who like Countdown and later stuff).

I'm also gonna say, I'm not sure RIP was totally thrash, heavy and cool that it was. The height of thrash to me was more around 86 even though a lot of great stuff over the next few years. That's another reason I thought these 2 were kind of interesting. Neither was really pure old school thrash in my way of thinking (though a lot of thrash DNA still there), nor were they that similar.

I feel like I should say it again though, Rust in Peace is an absolute metal masterpiece. I started learning how to play Holy Wars right after the first time I heard it. Pantera though brought that rawness that reminded me in spirit of older thrash, but taking it in a new direction.

Ok I see what you are saying and you are right, both albums were out in 90. So was Seasons which is why I added it. I would still think that for most, Cowboys probably sits 3rd behind the other two. It is kick ass though no question. Love Dime's riffs and cowboys is a sick riff. I mean he really knew how to make an impact that's for sure.

Ok I see what you are saying and you are right, both albums were out in 90. So was Seasons which is why I added it. I would still think that for most, Cowboys probably sits 3rd behind the other two. It is kick ass though no question. Love Dime's riffs and cowboys is a sick riff. I mean he really knew how to make an impact that's for sure.
Oh man, you are so right about Seasons. Yeah, that hangs for me up there as well. If I had a redo I would have put them in the vote, good call!

Back