Crazy NGD

Devin

It's a Fret-King Danny Bryant signature guitar

I've been on the lookout for a traditional-style strat, but as soon as I saw the pile of pickups on this thing I had to have it :D

Obviously I'm a fan of unusual gear lol

I don't even really know who Danny Bryant is, but it's actually a really nice guitar....nice soft V neck with some heft to it and great fretwork.

The neck pickup is 2 single coils that can be ran together as a humbucker or separately as singles; the bottom knob is a vari-coil control to blend between full bucker or full sc

Fret-King is Trev Wilkinson's guitar brand, so naturally it's got all Wilkinson hardware and pickups

I'm really diggin it!

00m7K1S.jpg

DKpMZAZ.jpg

CxQ1kMF.jpg

The 2 single coils together on the neck sounds really interesting and a cool thought. Do they sound like a humbucker? Do they hum cancel?

The 2 single coils together on the neck sounds really interesting and a cool thought. Do they sound like a humbucker? Do they hum cancel?

The way its wired is position 5 - straight neck-adjacent single coil

Position 4 “humbucker” (it does buck hum)

Position 3 middle + neck-adjacent coil together (with hum)

Position 2 neck-adjacent coil + p90 (humbucking)

Position 1 straight p90

It’s pretty wild

Much to like by the look of it Devin. Well done!

I even like the headstock and the way it shares a theme with the pick guard.

The neck pickup is 2 single coils that can be ran together as a humbucker or separately as singles; the bottom knob is a vari-coil control to blend between full bucker or full sc
This vari-coil control has me intrigued. Never hear of that. So you can control the 'blend' of HB vs SC? I need a demo of this. I wonder how this works technically.

This vari-coil control has me intrigued. Never hear of that. So you can control the 'blend' of HB vs SC? I need a demo of this. I wonder how this works technically.

What little literature i’ve been able to find on the guitar mentions its something like that, but in practice it seems more like a “fat” knob….it seems to only really work on certain switch positions. I think the p90 might actually be a stacked design and the knob takes it from traditional p90 sounds to a fatter humbucker type tone. It’s unusual for sure. I’ll be out of town this weekend but i’ll try to do some clips eventually

Back