Does this Mark III sound right?

mojotone":2mtvmm3h said:
sjk":2mtvmm3h said:
Mojotone you have had both the III and IIC, if that is what I'm reading how would you compare the two?

There is no way in HELL that I would ever open that can of worms.

Interesting reply. I do not have a MKIII. And oddly enough, the incredible dynamics of the clean channel sold me on the MKIIC. It has such a sweet clean channel it could be the best clean and high gain amp each individually that i own. The Bogner New Yorker is a dream clean machine. MKIIC gets 95% of that. A tele and compressor show a completely different side of the IIC. If the MKIII is remotely as good, it would be worth having one to keep the IIC out of dodgy gigs.

rocknrolla":1nfor7h4 said:
sjk":1nfor7h4 said:
mojotone":1nfor7h4 said:
sjk":1nfor7h4 said:
Mojotone you have had both the III and IIC, if that is what I'm reading how would you compare the two?

wtf, just a question dude, why so dramatic? This ain't the Boogie grail forums full of fanboy fanatics :LOL: :LOL:
Hahaha! True dat! Those guys are WAYYYY to touchy about their little preciouses. Any time anybody asks about what sets these two amps apart you get two or three snobs that treat you like you just asked them for nekkid pics of their wives.

No drama, and I'm damn sure not any fanboy. This topic is taboo at the Boogie forum, and I do not care to re-hash the topic. As far as being a snob, my #1 guitar is a Norlin-era pancacke-bodied Goldtop Deluxe routed for full size humbuckers. No snob here, for sure. :rock:

jkkkjkhk":1fqppqpg said:
rocknrolla":1fqppqpg said:
Here's a clip of MOP with just the guitars. They didn't use that much gain on this album it was just that every guitar was quad-tracked and they slaved the Boogie preamps into cranked EL34 power amps.
https://youtu.be/D47BgD04K-8

Actually only double tracked but yeah I have all those master tracks. I know damn near every specific of how both MOP and AJFA were recorded BEYOND just the notes Flemming posted. I actually got my most recent email from him today regarding a piece of the puzzle I've been trying to figure out for a few years.

But even compared to that my amp sounds like it needs to have the drive at 8 to get that gain, but they only had it at 5. There's a lot more pick and string noise and little nuances that come through with the gain around 5, but kinda disappear when it's closer to 8. Again could just be illusions though.

And I thought that the Boogie Board was the only place chock full of Metallica fanboys............. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Make your own tone, and do it well. :thumbsup:

mojotone":2x7ksubl said:
jkkkjkhk":2x7ksubl said:
rocknrolla":2x7ksubl said:
Here's a clip of MOP with just the guitars. They didn't use that much gain on this album it was just that every guitar was quad-tracked and they slaved the Boogie preamps into cranked EL34 power amps.
https://youtu.be/D47BgD04K-8

Actually only double tracked but yeah I have all those master tracks. I know damn near every specific of how both MOP and AJFA were recorded BEYOND just the notes Flemming posted. I actually got my most recent email from him today regarding a piece of the puzzle I've been trying to figure out for a few years.

But even compared to that my amp sounds like it needs to have the drive at 8 to get that gain, but they only had it at 5. There's a lot more pick and string noise and little nuances that come through with the gain around 5, but kinda disappear when it's closer to 8. Again could just be illusions though.

And I thought that the Boogie Board was the only place chock full of Metallica fanboys............. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Make your own tone, and do it well. :thumbsup:

Used to be a BIG fanboy but not so much anymore. While there's many tones out there I love nothing really I'd want to call my own. I first wanted a Mark III years ago for MetallicA riffage but when I finally got one it was solely for me, not for someone else's tone. As far as me knowing all the fine details of how MOP and AJFA were recorded it's partially from past fanboy days as well as just loving the details of how my favorite albums were recorded. I get deep into MOP through black album, Dark Side of The Moon, some Trivium albums, and random other ones. Helps me learn little tricks and just ideas on how certain sounds are made. Since for the most part I can't just figure it out on my own. :thumbsup:

jkkkjkhk":23xgiou5 said:
Used to be a BIG fanboy but not so much anymore. While there's many tones out there I love nothing really I'd want to call my own. I first wanted a Mark III years ago for MetallicA riffage but when I finally got one it was solely for me, not for someone else's tone. As far as me knowing all the fine details of how MOP and AJFA were recorded it's partially from past fanboy days as well as just loving the details of how my favorite albums were recorded. I get deep into MOP through black album, Dark Side of The Moon, some Trivium albums, and random other ones. Helps me learn little tricks and just ideas on how certain sounds are made. Since for the most part I can't just figure it out on my own. :thumbsup:
Yup, me too. I had a Triaxis/2:90 rig, a Mark IV, and an Axe-Fx that all had the MOP tone perfectly dialed in. :LOL: :LOL:
Playing with a band and figuring out that each instrument has to work together while simultaneously adding a unique voice has taught me more about guitar tone than the countless hours I spent trying to nail the tone from the CD's.
Anymore I like to use their live tone as a jumping off point for my own but only as far as eq-ing.

mojotone":3vf3dd49 said:
rocknrolla":3vf3dd49 said:
sjk":3vf3dd49 said:
mojotone":3vf3dd49 said:
sjk":3vf3dd49 said:

wtf, just a question dude, why so dramatic? This ain't the Boogie grail forums full of fanboy fanatics :LOL: :LOL:
Hahaha! True dat! Those guys are WAYYYY to touchy about their little preciouses. Any time anybody asks about what sets these two amps apart you get two or three snobs that treat you like you just asked them for nekkid pics of their wives.

No drama, and I'm damn sure not any fanboy. This topic is taboo at the Boogie forum, and I do not care to re-hash the topic. As far as being a snob, my #1 guitar is a Norlin-era pancacke-bodied Goldtop Deluxe routed for full size humbuckers. No snob here, for sure. :rock:

If you ever want to put them to the test you can as I have done it in the past.

record a clip of a MKIIC+ and a good sounding MKIII, don't label which one is which and let the snobs pick out the IIC+ vs MKIII.

Ive done it before on other boards and not one person got it right ;)

Gainfreak":xw5bf84w said:
mojotone":xw5bf84w said:
rocknrolla":xw5bf84w said:
sjk":xw5bf84w said:
mojotone":xw5bf84w said:
sjk":xw5bf84w said:

record a clip of a MKIIC+ and a good sounding MKIII, don't label which one is which and let the snobs pick out the IIC+ vs MKIII.

I second that. Same guitar, settings, cab, mic... I'd love to hear it. And just for kicks then it'd be cool to re-EQ the III to get as close to the IIC+ as possible, then another clip.

I think the hype on the 2c+ is mostly because of availability and the fact that Hetfield had one. It sure sounds different than the MK3. Hell, even the MK3s do sound different from each other(blue, red, etc...)! I do own a 2c+ because I've found one that was chassis only, mounted on three pieces of wood, no cover on the top, with most everything not even working. Sent it to Mesa and Mike B and got back an amazing amp that makes me very happy. However, my plans at the time was to get the MK3, because of amazing price range and tone. I'm still gonna get me a MK3, just to have a slightly different tone, and to have three of the MK series amps. Hopefully a MK4 in the future too.
So, to me, if you ask which one is better my answer will be: The 2c+ will put a smile on your face, the MK3 will also put a smile on your face, but having both, you won't be able to get the smile out of your face!

Gainfreak":3g0svlor said:
mojotone":3g0svlor said:

I can easily see how this would happen, especially with higher gain levels in the lead channel. I discussed this with you when I bought your Canadian Mark IIC+ from you a few years ago. If you remember, I agreed that a Mark III Coliseum would do the heavy music as good or better than any C+. I had an awesome sounding Mark III red stripe that a friend let me do some A/B comparisons with my C+. Scary close, and sometimes indistinguishable. I hate the whole "snob" term that has become associated with C+ owners. It makes me feel like I have to be apologetic for even owning one. They are no more expensive than SLO-100, Cameron, Fortin, etc..... What's the deal???

Back