Eye balling floating trem

mniel8195

I have my Suhr perfectly setup. I do struggle with eye balling if the gotoh 510 is parallel to the body or not. I think the lighting/shadows plays tricks on my eyes. Is there a way to measure how parallel the bridge is? Any other tricks?

I have never had a problem eyeballing it. You could take a 8 inch long piece of metal, have it flat with the bridge and measure on both sides and adjust until parallel. I have honestly never had to do that though.

I put a plastic ruler on the trem (holding it very lightly), next to the low E saddle, extending forward over the pickguard (or body). Then, I check the gap between the pickguard and ruler to make sure it's parallell.

does it return to zero? if so and if it looks parallel I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't have to be exact.

splatter":3itfa4w2 said:
does it return to zero? if so and if it looks parallel I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't have to be exact.

This. And typically, there is an EVER SO SLIGHT forward tilt. It does not need to be perfectly parallel.

Chris O":1b04o5p2 said:
splatter":1b04o5p2 said:

This. And typically, there is an EVER SO SLIGHT forward tilt. It does not need to be perfectly parallel.
A slight forward tilt is preferable according to John Suhr, rather than slightly backwards. I tend to believe that as well.

guitarnerdswe":2t2404n5 said:
Chris O":2t2404n5 said:
splatter":2t2404n5 said:

A slight forward tilt is preferable according to John Suhr, rather than slightly backwards. I tend to believe that as well.

yea a backward tilt would not be good.

I have been tinkering with he trem and actually having it lean forward a bit keeps the guitar in better tune. I must have had it tilting back a bit and it was causing issues with the strings binding in the nut or saddle. Guitar stays in perfect tune now. I just loosened the screws a 8th of a turn until the guitar could dive bomb and keep in tune.

Back