Friedman Golden Pearl

Detroit ABA

Does the Friedman Golden Pearl excel at having level all the way up, gain all the way down and tone adjusted to taste? Would it do this better, worse, or just differently than an SD-1?

I do not own one, and have never used one.

But, if you are referring to using it as a Boost, I usually start with the knobs at 12 o'clock, and adjust "more" or "less" of each function, from that starting point.

Does the Friedman Golden Pearl excel at having level all the way up, gain all the way down and tone adjusted to taste? Would it do this better, worse, or just differently than an SD-1?

I had one. The SD-1w I have has more gain and adds way more saturation than the GP.

Cool, thanks for the replies, I have been wanting to give the golden pearl a try but I think I will stick with the SD-1 or maybe look to add a different variant. I have been looking at a Lovepedal Eternity, Horizon Precision Drive, OD9 or TS9. Again, I rarely crack the gain, almost always just use as a boost.

SD-1 is my favorite boost. Bought the Golden Pearl expecting better and was let down. It’s more of a standalone drive IMO. Kind of tubby and doesn’t really do the tightening/compressing thing that the SD-1 has. It has tons of drive on tap, but hard to control IMO. Kind of felt the same way about the Buxom Betty.

SD-1 is my favorite boost. Bought the Golden Pearl expecting better and was let down. It’s more of a standalone drive IMO. Kind of tubby and doesn’t really do the tightening/compressing thing that the SD-1 has. It has tons of drive on tap, but hard to control IMO. Kind of felt the same way about the Buxom Betty.

I hated the Golden Pearl. Tubby was my experience as well. Definitely not ideal for tightening up an amp, kinda like an OCD.

I'll always keep an SD-1 in the toolbox.

Back