Give me amp gas. 3-channel, 2203 flavored but modern?

Spaceboy

I adore my JMP2204 and Suhr RL combo for like 90% of my tonal needs. Fantastic cleans, medium gain is the sound of rock n roll, and with an OD808 it’s the sound of thrash. I haven’t had strong GAS for an amp in a long time, but as I get away from modelers for the sake of simplicity, I’d like to find an amp that covers similar territory as the 2204 but cover more modern metal tones and great pedal-friendly cleans as well. I also want a great master. The 2204 is basically a bedroom amp. It’s too loud for my bands to get the sound I want, and over 40 years old. I would love to spend less than 2k but can stretch it for the perfect amp for me. I basically need 2203/4 crunch, light breakup cleans that work well with fuzz, and modern high gain of any particular flavor but tight and controlled in the bottom end is important. There’s a ton of amps out there at the moment, and I have been stuck on single channel amps and modelers for years, idk what exists anymore.

Not 3 channels, but the Splawn Nitro checks off every other box on your list. Definitely more articulation / string separation than a Recto or Uberschall. Very workable clean channel that really opens up with a touch of chorus and reverb. The newer versions with the old/new voicing switch and mid boost/cut switch can cover quite a bit of territory. More gain on tap than you would likely ever need - but still does the gain at noon + 808 thing extremely well. Resonance control for modern thump. And loop volume for wide open tone at whisper quiet volume.

I’ve got a fully loaded 50 watt Nitro available, but as I type this, it makes me wonder if I really outta be letting it go?

dirtyfunkg":bhsujicw said:
This sounds like a Bogner Ecstasy.

I was going to say...I feel like this could be it. Or outside of the box? How about synergy? Expensive though and I don't think you want to go all in on 1500$ just in three modules and then the amp. Maybe the bogner 3534?

Spaceboy":3vmr6def said:
I also want a great master
Spaceboy":3vmr6def said:
I basically need 2203/4 crunch, light breakup cleans that work well with fuzz, and modern high gain of any particular flavor but tight and controlled in the bottom end is important.

I'm EXTREMELY BIASED, but a Diezel Paul should do all of above and fit the 2K limit :)

I’d say the EVH 100, or if you are patient maybe a Wizard MCI might come in at 2K used...2 channels but can be boosted for a 3rd. They are like a Marshall/HiWatt hybrid with slightly different mids.

Leo Diezel":1dnxuibv said:
Spaceboy":1dnxuibv said:
Spaceboy":1dnxuibv said:
I basically need 2203/4 crunch, light breakup cleans that work well with fuzz, and modern high gain of any particular flavor but tight and controlled in the bottom end is important.

I'm EXTREMELY BIASED, but a Diezel Paul should do all of above and fit the 2K limit :)

LMK where you can a find a Paul for less than $2K. I've never seen it for less than $2400 used in the States.

Looking at that $2000 price cap, I may retract my Ecstasy suggestion. Occasionally you can find a used one under $2000 but it's pretty rare. $2200+ seems to be the going rate.

Maybe a Marshall 6100 head? I've never played one but have heard it's like a "Marshall through the years" type of head with some more modern features like midi, etc.

A suggestion a bit out of left field, but what about a 5153/Stealth, Multi-Watt Dual Rectifier or a Fryette Sig:X? They're not really 2203/2204 lineage amps, but based on what you've described, these amps can cop what you're looking for at a high standard and would be easily within your budget (particularly used). They just won't really sound like a true Marshall.

dirtyfunkg":1nkmtb0c said:
Leo Diezel":1nkmtb0c said:
Spaceboy":1nkmtb0c said:
Spaceboy":1nkmtb0c said:

LMK where you can a find a Paul for less than $2K. I've never seen it for less than $2400 used in the States.

Looking at that $2000 price cap, I may retract my Ecstasy suggestion. Occasionally you can find a used one under $2000 but it's pretty rare. $2200+ seems to be the going rate.

Maybe a Marshall 6100 head? I've never played one but have heard it's like a "Marshall through the years" type of head with some more modern features like midi, etc.

A suggestion a bit out of left field, but what about a 5153/Stealth, Multi-Watt Dual Rectifier or a Fryette Sig:X? They're not really 2203/2204 lineage amps, but based on what you've described, these amps can cop what you're looking for at a high standard and would be easily within your budget (particularly used). They just won't really sound like a true Marshall.

This one?
https://reverb.com/item/34601575-diezel ... r-amp-head

Leo Diezel":y6gjf5x4 said:
dirtyfunkg":y6gjf5x4 said:
Leo Diezel":y6gjf5x4 said:
Spaceboy":y6gjf5x4 said:
Spaceboy":y6gjf5x4 said:

This one?
https://reverb.com/item/34601575-diezel ... r-amp-head

I stand corrected.

OP, maybe that's your amp right there. I've never played one so have no idea.

I would look for a modded 2204 that has a Jose style master, and have a triode/pentode switch installed to lower the volume a bit, then flavor with your favorite OD/boost pedals.

I’m reaaaaally into demos of the Splawn Quick Rod at the moment but still looking at everything posted. The Revv Generator is pretty cool too, and there’s a lot going on in that amp. The Marshall flavor is a bit weaker and might lack some personality while still sounding good. Judging from demos only obviously, never even seen Revv in the wild before.

I was gonna say a newer MW Dual Rectifier. Fantastic clean channel and Ch.2 in Vintage Mode is killer rock tones. We all know what Ch.3 Modern does.

I’ve been suggested that Joe Satriani JVM before but always here dissented comments whenever JVMs get discussed online. I didn’t like the old DSLs. The JVM I assume is better than the DSL? The HR DSL is a slightly different story though.

JVM Satriani has 'that' modern Marshall sound. Sounds good but still a little bit sterile and I like bone stock JVM better and even newer DSL100H. Great features on that amp but great tone wasn't there. Too much expectations after all discusions I red. 6100 is similar, jack of all trades …
I suggest Bogner Helios. It has plexi sound on 70's mode, JCM on 80's mode, tight botom, amazing feel under finger and best master volume and low volume sound. I had all amp mentioned before and no one can touch Helios.

Spaceboy":34zg70a9 said:
I’ve been suggested that Joe Satriani JVM before but always here dissented comments whenever JVMs get discussed online. I didn’t like the old DSLs. The JVM I assume is better than the DSL? The HR DSL is a slightly different story though.
I personally prefer the stock JVM, it's more raw, not as refined as the Satch. And it's more hairy when it comes to the gain. I dig that and it's my main amp.

I've never been a fan of the DSL's, lots of guys can wrangle great tones from them, I'm just not one of them.

I would love to recommend the Mezzarbarba Trinity, it's got everything you would want in a 3 channel amp. Impeccable build quality and features but I did not bond with it. Amazing clean tones, plenty of gain for liquid leads but I struggled mightily dialing in a high gain rhythm tone to my taste. But might be worth a try, it certainly meets all the qualifications. An amazing amp, just not for me. I know it's over 2k used but I've seen them going for 2500. That was the most I could get for mine.

Back