Give me amp gas. 3-channel, 2203 flavored but modern?

You guys got any experience with Ceriatone? There’s a handful of amps he’s making that are remarkably cheap and seem to hit the nail on the head. I know TGP dudes love Ceriatone but I think that’s for the Plexi/Dumble style kits.

Spaceboy":1jnrb72n said:
You guys got any experience with Ceriatone? There’s a handful of amps he’s making that are remarkably cheap and seem to hit the nail on the head. I know TGP dudes love Ceriatone but I think that’s for the Plexi/Dumble style kits.

FYI, Nick has an Wizard MCII clone in the works last I emailed with him.

bubucci":1d8w1gnd said:
I'am really curious how close he can get with MCII. It should by Wizard for ordinary poeple :)

I had sold a 2017 MCII and was planning on waiting for Nick's take on it, but I wound up with a 2020 MCII instead :aww:

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

hopkinWFG":3lf5n9ca said:
Thanks !! Think mine is a 2014 version lol... mine is too aggressive on the bright lead knob.. anyway i did found the TAD 7025 WA can smoothen out a bit more of the brightness...

I understand MC2 need a certain dose of brigntness engaged but the knob hardly goes to 4 and beyond it get overly shrill on leads but playing riffs is well enough... i heard some user has gotten their bright knob to 1 oclock... i wonder how different is their MC2 compares to mine...

Sorry got carried away and am hijacking this thread...

My MC2 is a '14/'15 and I run my brights pretty high....at 3:00. Same goes for my MTLs. I will say my newer MTLs are a little warmer than my '16. I generally prefer a brighter/aggressive tone.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread including the JSX.

I'm just going to back up Splawn as well. Those amps are very well known for being of high quality. I know MetalHeadMike had his issues and I don't want to question him or try to take that away from him but every builder is allowed some hiccups. I've never had anything but great experiences with Scott both on the phone and in email and I bought my amp used so he doesn't owe me anything.

You can get a used Splawn in the $1K mark these days which means you can either save some cash or buy another amp - either way they check all of your boxes and are a tremendous value.

Vht deliverance 60. A boost and the volume knob, will make it seem like a 3 channel. That amp cleans up better than any ive had, and gets modern quick with a boost.

mchn13":1guy7yi2 said:
Vht deliverance 60. A boost and the volume knob, will make it seem like a 3 channel. That amp cleans up better than any ive had, and gets modern quick with a boost.

Great suggestion here :thumbsup: Totally slipped my mind. The Damn 50CL Pitbull I sold recently also fits the bill. One of my top 5 amps.

Spaceboy":6y9wl3r1 said:
I've never seen a Wizard in the real world. Always thought those were amps for the doom boys, demos online sound good, would probably need a boost though. I'm definitely in the more oldschool death metal (Schuldiner :rock: ), thrash, hardcore realm. I don't do djent and all that, but would like something modern and tight, while still in the Marshall camp. A lot of new school flavors of amps just don't have the same cut and snarl. Wizard seems to have but way over budget for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, not blowing off anything yet still doing my own research too.

Wizards are hard to come by. I heard one at a local ampfest, and didn't hesitate when the opportunity to purchase came up. It has tight attack, minimal compression, sounds like a really good 2204 cranked up. Can it thrash? I made this with it, and have a hard time doing it with other amps:
https://soundcloud.com/bmandrell/wizard ... er-riffage

MetalHeadMike":6y9wl3r1 said:

Aw man, wish I hadn't seen this. :doh:

LPMojoGL":39yvxdoq said:
Spaceboy":39yvxdoq said:
I've never seen a Wizard in the real world. Always thought those were amps for the doom boys, demos online sound good, would probably need a boost though. I'm definitely in the more oldschool death metal (Schuldiner :rock: ), thrash, hardcore realm. I don't do djent and all that, but would like something modern and tight, while still in the Marshall camp. A lot of new school flavors of amps just don't have the same cut and snarl. Wizard seems to have but way over budget for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, not blowing off anything yet still doing my own research too.

Wizards are hard to come by. I heard one at a local ampfest, and didn't hesitate when the opportunity to purchase came up. It has tight attack, minimal compression, sounds like a really good 2204 cranked up. Can it thrash? I made this with it, and have a hard time doing it with other amps:

MetalHeadMike":39yvxdoq said:

Cool tune...killer tone!

:LOL: :LOL: I thought it'd be fun to try, much cheaper of course, and I'm sure it will be a cool amp, but finally concluded...it won't be a Wizard.

MetalHeadMike":2ebd110j said:
LPMojoGL":2ebd110j said:
Spaceboy":2ebd110j said:

MetalHeadMike":2ebd110j said:

Cool tune...killer tone!

:LOL: :LOL: I thought it'd be fun to try, much cheaper of course, and I'm sure it will be a cool amp, but finally concluded...it won't be a Wizard.

Thanks, the tone is righteous. So easy to thrash on a Wizard.
I sold off my Marshalls, kept a Naylor thinking I'll be good.
But that Wizard thing keeps calling to me. That tight attack. And it cleans up well for lighter type stuff.
Ideally, I'd hold out until a newer MCII pops up. Financially, a new one is out of reach.
News of the Ceriatone is inviting, but I'm afraid I would come to the same conclusion.
Something special about owning a Wizard, I think.

LPMojoGL":s9fyfqlj said:
MetalHeadMike":s9fyfqlj said:
LPMojoGL":s9fyfqlj said:
Spaceboy":s9fyfqlj said:

MetalHeadMike":s9fyfqlj said:

Cool tune...killer tone!

Thanks, the tone is righteous. So easy to thrash on a Wizard.
I sold off my Marshalls, kept a Naylor thinking I'll be good.
But that Wizard thing keeps calling to me. That tight attack. And it cleans up well for lighter type stuff.
Ideally, I'd hold out until a newer MCII pops up. Financially, a new one is out of reach.
News of the Ceriatone is inviting, but I'm afraid I would come to the same conclusion.
Something special about owning a Wizard, I think.

The Wizard is the king !!

Send a 2205/2210 to the modder of your choice for a complete rebuild, use only the headshell, chassis, transformers and knobs. Have a custom Marshall built from the ground up. You could even buy a non functioning amp to be the donor. This will get you all the Marshall Kerrang and mids you want/need, but the flexibility you're looking for.

Back