Give me amp gas. 3-channel, 2203 flavored but modern?

Spaceboy":10cyz2pw said:
I’m reaaaaally into demos of the Splawn Quick Rod at the moment but still looking at everything posted. The Revv Generator is pretty cool too, and there’s a lot going on in that amp. The Marshall flavor is a bit weaker and might lack some personality while still sounding good. Judging from demos only obviously, never even seen Revv in the wild before.

The two QRs I've owned sounded killer but had cold solder joints that led me to spend more time trouble shooting/repairing then playing.

Priced over your budget even used ($3000-$3500) but it will do exactly what you're after...Wizard MCII. Takes boosts EXTREMELY well. Rock n roll>thrash>death metal>modern metal with a boost and eq and best volume control of any amp I've ever owned. I have sold about 20 amps because of the MCII...it's that good at covering all the bases.

blackie13":xu7h7gdz said:
OP said under 2K...??
how much is the Revv...??
He could stretch a bit if it where thi right amp.

But i got mine used for $1750. That was a crazy deal but around $2000-$2200.

Well worth it. Has an amazing modern metal tone man. And does a crazy good Marshall tones also. You can use the aggression switches to tailor the gain to your liking. So versatile.

If you can find a Landry LS100G3....that's what I would go for. Amazing amps. I cannot believe more people aren't over the moon on them.

sutepaj":2fp972r1 said:
If you can find a Landry LS100G3....that's what I would go for. Amazing amps. I cannot believe more people aren't over the moon on them.
That may be one of the last amps I try before putting the kabosh on my recent amp spree. Just something about them on vids that are very, very interesting.

jabps":rr769nxv said:
sutepaj":rr769nxv said:
That may be one of the last amps I try before putting the kabosh on my recent amp spree. Just something about them on vids that are very, very interesting.

I have played his amps in person a couple times and absolutely loved them.. and from what I understand since then they have gotten even better, if I were going for those tones..that would be the amp. Super nice guy too.

7 Stringer":1wgc1j9z said:
blackie13":1wgc1j9z said:
OP said under 2K...??
how much is the Revv...??
He could stretch a bit if it where thi right amp.

But i got mine used for $1750. That was a crazy deal but around $2000-$2200.

Well worth it. Has an amazing modern metal tone man. And does a crazy good Marshall tones also. You can use the aggression switches to tailor the gain to your liking. So versatile.

I have a 100p Generator .... Its an incredible amp but I don't get that much of a Marshall vibe from it.

Lot of guys are selling their Friedman BE100 heads to upgrade to the Deluxe. Some great deals can be had on an original BE100 because of that. Absolutely great amp. Just my 2 cents. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I can stretch a bit, like maybe $2400 new prices, but I'm probably not dropping that on something used, or going for something 3k. That Diezel Paul sounds killer. I've played the Ecstasy before and that definitely did not strike me as a metal amp. I'm sure it could manage with a boost, but was definitely not what I'd consider a tight amp.

MetalHeadMike":1sm64yxz said:
Spaceboy":1sm64yxz said:
I’m reaaaaally into demos of the Splawn Quick Rod at the moment but still looking at everything posted. The Revv Generator is pretty cool too, and there’s a lot going on in that amp. The Marshall flavor is a bit weaker and might lack some personality while still sounding good. Judging from demos only obviously, never even seen Revv in the wild before.

The two QRs I've owned sounded killer but had cold solder joints that led me to spend more time trouble shooting/repairing then playing.

Priced over your budget even used ($3000-$3500) but it will do exactly what you're after...Wizard MCII. Takes boosts EXTREMELY well. Rock n roll>thrash>death metal>modern metal with a boost and eq and best volume control of any amp I've ever owned. I have sold about 20 amps because of the MCII...it's that good at covering all the bases.
Damn, bummed to hear that about the Splawns. I know they seemed to be well liked around here a few years back but I wasn't chasing Marshall sounds in those days.

I've never seen a Wizard in the real world. Always thought those were amps for the doom boys, demos online sound good, would probably need a boost though. I'm definitely in the more oldschool death metal (Schuldiner :rock: ), thrash, hardcore realm. I don't do djent and all that, but would like something modern and tight, while still in the Marshall camp. A lot of new school flavors of amps just don't have the same cut and snarl. Wizard seems to have but way over budget for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, not blowing off anything yet still doing my own research too.

Spaceboy":3d86oned said:
I can stretch a bit, like maybe $2400 new prices, but I'm probably not dropping that on something used, or going for something 3k. That Diezel Paul sounds killer. I've played the Ecstasy before and that definitely did not strike me as a metal amp. I'm sure it could manage with a boost, but was definitely not what I'd consider a tight amp.
XTC is not tight enough even with boost. Too much low mids on blue channel. And weird voicing on red channel.
If You are used to JCM800 dynamic, touch sentivity and its core sound, no Diezel can give You that. Very sterile, stiff amps and overly bass (deep=flaping pants /burried in mix mode).
VHT Ultralead can be considered, if 3 channel is a must.

Spaceboy":3dyx21oo said:
MetalHeadMike":3dyx21oo said:
Spaceboy":3dyx21oo said:

Damn, bummed to hear that about the Splawns. I know they seemed to be well liked around here a few years back but I wasn't chasing Marshall sounds in those days.

I've never seen a Wizard in the real world. Always thought those were amps for the doom boys, demos online sound good, would probably need a boost though. I'm definitely in the more oldschool death metal (Schuldiner :rock: ), thrash, hardcore realm. I don't do djent and all that, but would like something modern and tight, while still in the Marshall camp. A lot of new school flavors of amps just don't have the same cut and snarl. Wizard seems to have but way over budget for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, not blowing off anything yet still doing my own research too.

Yeah I was super bummed on the QRs I had because they did sound and feel really good, but the solder joint issues I had sucked big time. One was a 2012 that I bought in 2017 and the last one I just recently finally sold after two months of troubleshooting/fixing was a 2019.

The Wizard MCII is an old school thrash/death metal wet dream. I'm an old school metal guy and it's such a good amp for those tones. EQ in the loop, a good OD hitting the front and it's just thrash/death metal bliss. It has a tight tight tight immediate response with a robust and extremely punchy low end, it's extremely articulate and has very a hyper aggressive upper mids snarl....perfect recipe for those tones IMO.

No compression what so ever plugged straight in, but smack the front with an OD and it adds the perfect amount of compression/saturation while still retaining the most organic tone I've encountered.

FWIW - I’ve owned 4 Splawns: 100 watt QR & Nitro and now 50 Watt ‘fully loaded’ versions of each. Never a single service issue on any of them. Scott answers his own phone and will talk at length to answer questions etc.
The QR really is my Desert Island / Swiss-Army amp that can do it all. This is a very toned down clip of the Nitro trying to cop a more traditional modded marshall ‘brown sound’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z_biQJsAhQ

PDC":1x66btiv said:
FWIW - I’ve owned 4 Splawns: 100 watt QR & Nitro and now 50 Watt ‘fully loaded’ versions of each. Never a single service issue on any of them. Scott answers his own phone and will talk at length to answer questions etc.
The QR really is my Desert Island / Swiss-Army amp that can do it all. This is a very toned down clip of the Nitro trying to cop a more traditional modded marshall ‘brown sound’

+1 on Splawn amps... I have a 2018 fully loaded Quickrod and have never experienced even one hick up with it. A very solid , versatile killer sounding amp.

I'd buy a JSX for $600 or less, and watch it eat the $2000 amp's lunch. It checks every box, extremely well.

PDC":133n1pwi said:

Lucky you, and I mean that sincerely. Their was zero phone communication when I tried the last few years and when I emailed, his support was more/less "did you try a tube swap". I've read nothing but praise for his support but it was non existent for me.

MetalHeadMike":1bgzh4pa said:
Spaceboy":1bgzh4pa said:
MetalHeadMike":1bgzh4pa said:
Spaceboy":1bgzh4pa said:

Yeah I was super bummed on the QRs I had because they did sound and feel really good, but the solder joint issues I had sucked big time. One was a 2012 that I bought in 2017 and the last one I just recently finally sold after two months of troubleshooting/fixing was a 2019.

The Wizard MCII is an old school thrash/death metal wet dream. I'm an old school metal guy and it's such a good amp for those tones. EQ in the loop, a good OD hitting the front and it's just thrash/death metal bliss. It has a tight tight tight immediate response with a robust and extremely punchy low end, it's extremely articulate and has very a hyper aggressive upper mids snarl....perfect recipe for those tones IMO.

No compression what so ever plugged straight in, but smack the front with an OD and it adds the perfect amount of compression/saturation while still retaining the most organic tone I've encountered.

+101 on this !! Hey Mike just wanna know how does the MC2 2020 differs from the older MC2 besides the added Rhythm gain ? Does the newer MC2 2020 has a better control of the bright knob? Thanks :)

hopkinWFG":u1msrdin said:
MetalHeadMike":u1msrdin said:
Spaceboy":u1msrdin said:
MetalHeadMike":u1msrdin said:
Spaceboy":u1msrdin said:

+101 on this !! Hey Mike just wanna know how does the MC2 2020 differs from the older MC2 besides the added Rhythm gain ? Does the newer MC2 2020 has a better control of the bright knob? Thanks :)

Jun,

The 2020 is no different form the 2017 I had outside of that extra pull boost on the rhythm ch. It's 100% the same in every other aspect.

The bright on both the 2017 and 2020 works amazingly well...not sure the concern you have there?

MetalHeadMike":c0fb0gsp said:
hopkinWFG":c0fb0gsp said:
Spaceboy":c0fb0gsp said:
Spaceboy":c0fb0gsp said:

Jun,

The 2020 is no different form the 2017 I had outside of that extra pull boost on the rhythm ch. It's 100% the same in every other aspect.

The bright on both the 2017 and 2020 works amazingly well...not sure the concern you have there?

Thanks !! Think mine is a 2014 version lol... mine is too aggressive on the bright lead knob.. anyway i did found the TAD 7025 WA can smoothen out a bit more of the brightness...

I understand MC2 need a certain dose of brigntness engaged but the knob hardly goes to 4 and beyond it get overly shrill on leads but playing riffs is well enough... i heard some user has gotten their bright knob to 1 oclock... i wonder how different is their MC2 compares to mine...

Sorry got carried away and am hijacking this thread...

Back