Glorious New Amp Day

Jccobb2

Picked up my 2nd Bogner amp this weekend (1st was a 101B). This Goldfinger Super Lead feels amazing and sounds great. Seriously the best clean channel I've ever played. I wish it had a bit more grit when pushed hard, but a pedal can do that. It's got a real nice snap under my fingers when I dig in, and somehow never gets harsh even though it's very present.

The gain channel has a 3 way slider that goes from about a Friedman smallbox position on the low end, all the way to a Jose-esque modded up Marshall on the high end. I think the sweet spot is the middle 70's setting which is pretty reminiscent of a 101B blue channel, but with more upper mid emphasis like a real marshall. The gain EQ control is fantastic, and can take it from a brighter more aggressive sound on the left to a thicker low mid sound bogners are famous for when rotated clockwise.

I think this has ended my amp search for a while. I sold my Friedman smallbox for this and couldn't be happier. Much better clean, about the same Plexi style crunch, and then it takes off from there with the 70s and 80s modes. This is probably the biggest sleeper amp I've ever played if you get a chance to check one out I highly recommend it.
20221204_201645 (1).jpg

Congrats.
Agree on 'the most underated Bogner' amp and one of the best 'value for money' if we talk about 45W version. Fantastic clean channel, lush and dynamic. Gain channel start as great JTM/plexi in '69 mode to hotrodded JCM800 in 80's mode. Top notch reverb, footswichable FX loop, boost/preloop... it leaves Smallbox in dust for those classic tones.

The superlead is the 45 watt. No experience with the 90w. I really like the way the 6v6's act in this power amp. Still plenty of punch, just not quite as tight in the low end when you wind up the gain as a 100w. The clean channel feel/sound with those tubes more than makes up for any downside to the lower power rating.

Is it still as composed as a Bogner blue channel even when boosted or is it made to fall apart like a blues amp?

Congrats man!

Is it still as composed as a Bogner blue channel even when boosted or is it made to fall apart like a blues amp?

Congrats man!

it stays together pretty well when boosted. One of the cool things is there is an independent level and gain control for the boost on the dirty channel, and a fat/tight switch. I have the gain set about a third of the way and the switch to "tight". There's really a lot of control.

Nice! Congratulations! I've never played through one of these very cool that you like it. I will say I have heard the words I think my amp search is over 240 million times on this forum I think I've said it 100 million times🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

Picked up my 2nd Bogner amp this weekend (1st was a 101B). This Goldfinger Super Lead feels amazing and sounds great. Seriously the best clean channel I've ever played. I wish it had a bit more grit when pushed hard, but a pedal can do that. It's got a real nice snap under my fingers when I dig in, and somehow never gets harsh even though it's very present.

The gain channel has a 3 way slider that goes from about a Friedman smallbox position on the low end, all the way to a Jose-esque modded up Marshall on the high end. I think the sweet spot is the middle 70's setting which is pretty reminiscent of a 101B blue channel, but with more upper mid emphasis like a real marshall. The gain EQ control is fantastic, and can take it from a brighter more aggressive sound on the left to a thicker low mid sound bogners are famous for when rotated clockwise.

I think this has ended my amp search for a while. I sold my Friedman smallbox for this and couldn't be happier. Much better clean, about the same Plexi style crunch, and then it takes off from there with the 70s and 80s modes. This is probably the biggest sleeper amp I've ever played if you get a chance to check one out I highly recommend it.View attachment 148378
Good to know. I liked the SB but it's master volume hit you fast and hard. Also felt like Dave's top end is all presence and treble and no real upper mids.
How is the MV on this and how does it compare to the Helios? Also to my ears the Helios and SB loved my Les Pauls but the super strat tones were just ok

Good to know. I liked the SB but it's master volume hit you fast and hard. Also felt like Dave's top end is all presence and treble and no real upper mids.
How is the MV on this and how does it compare to the Helios? Also to my ears the Helios and SB loved my Les Pauls but the super strat tones were just ok

I've never played a Helios, but the mv taper is fine for home volume. At super low volumes it gets thin, but that's when it's at conversation level.

The 60s mode loves single coils in my experience, and I've got a suhr modern that sounds nice and thick. The gain EQ control lets you shape the midrange how you want it according to what guitar you are playing. There's a good ability to thicken up stray tones. Not to mention the channel and boost both have independent fat switches to further shape it.

Played one of these over the summer...and I've never felt an amp like this...great tone and so juicy under the fingers...very reactive to the pick and the bloom on the notes was really cool.

Back