Has anyone ever implied that you were not good enough of a guitar player to justify your expensive gear?

Yeah the purpose of this was clearly to promote whatever company was willing to push his dopey song out to various formats. Access for the mediocre goofballs that can NOW have Videos on the web! LONG LIVE WEB ACCESS!! :rawk::LOL::LOL::LOL:

MY BROTHER!!!! :D Long time no see!!
THANK you for that, what a gift, I get to see you play again, and bring some EVH/Schon tones for me on an “ask”! Love those GMW’s!

Hope all is good with you, glad to see you still Bringing it years later, THIS? Is what it’s supposed to be about, we all BUST our ass developing skills, earning and getting Quality gear that lets you “Play and sound” the way you hear and want, and FUCK the PRICE as long as the point was for beating on a guitar and enjoying it! That’s all there is.. we all fucking play and put the time in, cause we LOVE it! Who cares how it’s acquired or the cost…? :rawk:

For sure, and that’s really something I think that has come with the Internet and social media over the past decade or so especially. Like so many other social niches created by this medium, it’s one where people can project an image and achieve some kind of status.

But it’s not so much a matter of deserving a level of gear because of your skill but just "do you even play??" It doesn’t effect me either way I guess but when you see guys who spend a lot of time posting about their expensive gear hoard but seem to be primarily motivated by the buying and selling and not playing it boggles the mind a bit. I got obsessed with tone and shit because I love to play guitar. If I didn't, I'd be doing something else and certainly not spending the cash on gear.

I really do get this take on things, but at the same time I know lots of guys who have a sports car or hot rod sitting in the garage that they talk about constantly and drive about 2-3 times a year. To myself, and I suspect a lot of us here, we tend to judge these two things differently, but I really do wonder if there's any real difference in the end. Some people collect and just enjoy that, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It isn't for me, but if they can afford it and do it, more power to them.

In fact, I'm one of those who's gotten an extra couple of vehicles in the garage that I don't drive nearly enough to really justify, and likewise have more than a dozen guitars, most of which I can't justify. (I can play, but honestly don't play all that much anymore. I retired from gigging/recording a number of years back, though would like to get back to recording.....and would need to work my chops back up a bit before doing that for public consumption.)

MY BROTHER!!!! :D Long time no see!!
THANK you for that, what a gift, I get to see you play again, and bring some EVH/Schon tones for me on an “ask”! Love those GMW’s!

Hope all is good with you, glad to see you still Bringing it years later, THIS? Is what it’s supposed to be about, we all BUST our ass developing skills, earning and getting Quality gear that lets you “Play and sound” the way you hear and want, and FUCK the PRICE as long as the point was for beating on a guitar and enjoying it! That’s all there is.. we all fucking play and put the time in, cause we LOVE it! Who cares how it’s acquired or the cost…? :rawk:

You know, I play guitar today, for the same reason I started all those years ago... I just LOVE it! I realized that it wasn't just the notes being played on the fretboard that fascinated me, but it was the various sounds that a guitar could make. It was always a parallel interest for me. Of course, I believe that it's better to have more and not need it, than to need more and not have it-- as it goes to gear selection, but until there's a purpose it's purely self-indulgent, and that's cool too. Even if you don't play, just hanging on the wall-- it's art. hehehehe

It took YEARS to get to the point that I figured out what I wanted the setup to do, and be able to have gigging actually justify the cost and pay for it didn't suck. I remember being a kid and looking at the the Judas Priest Unleased in the East album and seeing all those Marshalls and realizing it was more than music-- it became clear that a separate facet was show business.

Then the 1st retail outlet stores Lab Sound, I walked in and heard a guy playing through a stereo Boogie rig w/ a TC 2290, Lexicon PCM 70, Eventide H3000, DBX Compressor line mixers and that changed EVERYTHING Forever. I was hearing the sounds you hear on an album coming out of the amp's speakers, and before that-- it NEVER occurred to me that was possible. Fast Forward, and I'm using pretty much the same stuff today still. Not gigging, but still play everyday, just through my little cheap practice amp, but I've been practicing w/ my purple GMW

IMG_0516.jpg

GMW You, Ralph and Kage turned me on to them almost what (?) 20 years ago WOW, time flies... and they are still second to none

Last edited:
I have a similar Pflueger reel (good reels for sure...DSL like). I'm digging my Shimano reels which for me, are more Splawn like :LOL:

A8LUxVdl.jpg

But yeah - good fishing to be had in Southern MO.
Ive got the Walmart 20$ special. Lol. Been kayak fishing in the canal this morning…using beetle spins. Brackish water ….tides pulling back may need to go to some gulps.

Attachments

• 8072442B-C5C4-43C7-9B75-BF9645324991.jpeg
    8072442B-C5C4-43C7-9B75-BF9645324991.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 33
I actually justify my mediocre gear. Many times I have said about myself: "I'm not a high end player, so I don't need high end gear".

Sure, it's frustrating to see people show up to a gig with a lot of nice gear yet play so poorly (or set up poorly) that it sounds gross, but that's a staple of every hobby. I see people bring hot rodded/expensive cars to a drag strip but don't know the first thing about how to launch, I see people show up to a gun range with decked out pistols and rifles but literally can't hit a sheet of paper 25 yards out, etc.

The difference is the mentality behind their gear. There's delusional, humble, and everything in between.

Last edited:
I actually justify my mediocre gear. Many times I have said about myself: "I'm not a high end player, so I don't need high end gear".

Sure, it's frustrating to see people show up to a gig with a lot of nice gear yet play so poorly (or set up poorly) that it sounds gross, but that's a staple of every hobby. I see people bring hot rodded/expensive cars to a drag strip but don't know the first thing about how to launch, I see people show up to a gun range with decked out pistols and rifles but literally can't hit a sheet of paper 25 yards out, etc.

The difference is the mentality behind their gear. There's delusional, humble, and everything in between.
So well said.

I'm going though this now as a matter in fact. Long story but here's the bullet points:

I've been saving up my moms WIC vouchers all year (I know this guy who buys em 60 cents on the dollar) and finally got enough to upgrade from my squier to a lovely epiphone dot. I got it cheap due to a poorly done headstock repair (idiot used packing tape but its holding so far) and it sounds amazing.

Anyway theres this douche that calls himself "tough Donnie" he has a gang and flies colors and shit. Anyway, hes kind of a badass, even spit on a teacher once and she hasn't been back since.

He saw me jamming out on my epiphone and started giving me grief cause I cant play the solo to his favorite maroon 5 song. He told me I sounded like shit but less like shit on the squier and then took my dot and dunked it in a ditch full of water while his gang held me by the arms. I lost it and started screaming "ILL KILL YOU DONNIE!" And one of his gang members took my danelectro belt clip half stack and rolled it up in their beanie ( they all wear beanies cause they claim it makes em vatos) and started beating me over the head with it and saying "game respect game." And now it's broken and my epiphone is waterlogged and stinks cause that ditch is the one we all piss in during recess. One time my friend Mike even shit in it.

So basically my whole life is fucked up cause I wasnt good enough yet to upgrade my guitar and entertain a street gang.

My self imposed rules regarding this:

Beginner hack (or playing like a beginner) with expensive guitars and amps (quantity irrelevant) = embarrassing and pointless
Intermediate player with 1 or 2 expensive guitars and amps each = perfectly fine
Intermediate player with a warehouse of expensive shit = fine as well but the intermediate player with just a few guitars/amps is probably better than you.
Pro/advanced players = anything is fine. You've earned the right to play whatever you want and I don't mean that in a financial sense.
Yes, I’ve been motorboated’ real good ONCE.
No words were necessary, this old grumpy looking
dude shows up, Stratocaster up to his titties,
dimes his blues junior whaling Mustand Sally.
I became a LEGIT Boondocks Saint from that f’n
first note of that butchered barfly f’n anthem..

I’m still here old grumpy man…how’bout you?? Hmm?

Last edited:
I say this when a guitarist
visits. I have collected an embarrassing amount of gear over the past 35 years relative to my skill level.

No one has ever said it directly to me. I used to think it when I would watch local cover bands. Why? Because I had no money and I was jealous! Whenever I see threads or comments on a video where someone says something like this, I immediately think back to when I was also just a child and jealous of the toys the other boys got to play with...

To be fair, no one has to tell me what I already know, I suck. That being said, the entire concept of earning or what one deserves exists only in the human mind. The universe does not care about you, the universe does not care what you or anyone else thinks of your playing ability or your gear. If you can afford it and you want it, you buy it and the universe still doesn't care.

Last edited:
yes. I've also been blasphemed for rooting for a university, of which, i did not matriculate. b/c we all know unless you attended and graduated from said university, there is no way you could know as much about it as the person that did. it's snobbery is what it is... they live and roam amongst us....them and zombies. oh and pod-people...saw one of those recently, oddly enough in a guitar shop playing a foo-fighters song. super cheap guitar...mf could PLAY though. had freakishly long fingers.

Back