How is your 2020 year in gear ending?

mystixboi

I went through some big changes... went all digital with the Helix to Friedman Runt to JJ back to EVH 5150 iii... love it!

As far as guitars, bought and sold a ton, but ended up with these two:

Ibanez JS 2450... absolute perfection

HKmUwi2.jpg

and I just got this today... Balaguer Growler

adZXXZ6.jpg

How about you?

2020 was huge for me gear wise.

I grabbed 1960ax and 1960bx cabinets with greenbacks.

I found a 1971 1992 Marshall Superbass in original condition with the original headshell and tolex. I plan to restore it and convert it to 68 specs.

And finally, I just finished up 2020 with an overdrive pedal I’ve been looking for for ages, a visual sound double trouble in the original box.

I also started and finished by 1974 1959 to 2203 conversion! I certainly have no room to complain.

Those JS Ibanez are always so sexy.

Lots of changes but bottom line is the tone I had today is more satisfying than a year ago and I had fun it was a welcome distraction getting there. Pretty much everything else about this year sucked tho (thank you captain obvious).

For me the 'brought most smiles' award goes to this homebrew ('68-spec Superbass).
20200718-191552.jpg[img]

Ending the year in good standing gear wise... Les Paul RO Historic, Bogner Helios, full pedalboard with switching system... Would like to grab a Luxxtone Choppa T or something very similar in early 2021... but we shall see how it all works out. Grateful and happy with what I have. Cheers, stay safe, and a long, stern farewell to 2020!!!

Stainless frets, bone nut, and 50's wiring on my #1 LP.

Bought and sold mini Jube, JJ Jr, Yeti, and something else I am forgetting.

Keeping Splawn Quick Rod.

Bought a gold top LTD EC-400AT. Really surprised at how so very close it is to my LP in feel and tone. Need to dull the back of the neck though.

Bought/sold/traded probably 20 pedals. Now I have several pricy pedals that I am not using and am too lazy to post.

I went through a ceriatone molecular, a Ceriatone monomyth 2204, a peavey 5150, a couple guitars and sold my beloved KSR Ortos II. The KSR and 2204 had to go against my will.

I ended up with a new Jackson Soloist, a Solar A1.6D, a Mark IV, and a Leviathan.

I want to replace the 5150 and the KSR in 2021. Also I have a mayones custom that was supposed to be finished this month but got pushed back to March which turned out to be a blessing. I would like to get a single cut and maybe an explorer or Charvel this coming year.

First 6 months I did a ton of deals, bought a ton of gear. Picked up a PRS 548 McCarty, Caparison Horus, PRS SC248, Ibanez PGM 333, 1984 JCM 800, bunch of pickups, ton of straps and accessories, new Apple Mac tower, lots of software, too much shit to list really.... sold a bunch too.
Last 6 months I started working on ToneFind marketplace website for gear and did not buy or sell shit, but have spent a lot on the site.

Mesa Boogie Rev G Triple Rectifier, Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 and a 1x12 cab, Orange Micro Dark, tons of pedals. I think 2021 needs to bring me some new guitars.

Ibby Prestige
ESP Viper
Orange Dual Dark
Diezel Herbert
Egnater Armageddon
Suhr Reactive Load
Pedalboard
8-10 new pedals (fuzz mostly but boosts too)

Pretty good year gear wise

I ditched everything digital with the exception of my mooer radar cab sim that I use just to go direct with my tube preamp pedal I built for direct recording and demoing. It's inexpensive and sounds OKish.

I think the modeling stuff is a great tool and really advancing nicely. Many people much bigger and better than me are using them but for me I just want the real deal all the time. I totally understand the advantages but I find I sit and fiddle with knobs and settings more than I play my damn guitar. It is distracting ! Plus the latency , not a big fan of that.

Tubes & regular old pedals for me !

I'm probably missing some things, but 2020 turned out to be a busy year for gear for me. From what I can remember

I Bought....

Diezel Herbert mk3
Wizard MTL mk2
Omega Granophyre
Driftwood Purple Nightmare
Revv Generator 100P
Dover DA-50
Wizard W-800
Wizard MTL/MCII Hybrid
Mesa JP2C
FGN Mythic 6
KSR Eros
Highwind Direwolf
Wizard Leopard
Lehle Dual SGOS
Several BK pickups
Various speakers

I Sold...

Wizard MCII KT150
2 Ampete 444s
Fryette Fat Bottom 412
Mesa JP2C
Fortin Cali
Diezel Herbert Mk3
Driftwood Purple Nightmare
Revv Generator 100P
Dover DA-50
FGN Mythic 6
Furman AR-15 II
Wizard Leopard
Suhr Koko Boost
Fulltone ABY
Nux Atlantic
Matrix Gt1000
MLC DSLM
Gibson LP Custom
various speakers

What new gear did I get in 2020?

Got a 1987 Marshall 2553, but didn't bond with it and flipped it.
I got a 2555x and it's a keeper.
Last Saturday I got an EVH Wolfgang Standard.
I got the newest version of the Metropoulos Head Master.
I got a Bogner 4x12 with Scumback M75s in it and also got a Marshall TSL 2x12
I got a TC Electronic Spark

And I think that's really about it. I sold off some stuff I'd gotten in previous years, but 2020 was pretty tame for GAS.

I picked up a couple of guitars this year. A Fender American Professional Strat with a baked maple neck and a Washburn N4. The strat sounds good, and does the strat thing. The N4 is simply one of the best guitars that I have ever owned. It rings like crazy, and after swapping the BLUSA pickup for a Duncan PATB-1, has become my main guitar. Hoping that 2021 will see an end to lockdowns so that I can get back to playing live again.

I ended up selling all of my amps and cabs, pedals (from board that I wasn't using) and my Waza TAE. Just don't need them for live anymore. I was able to recycle both pedalboard and use them regularly with the FM3 on one and the FC6 on the other.

Using Fractal FM3 and Axe III with a couple of custom Friedman ASC-10's that tilt back. All sounds great and not a lot of weight to carry around with my lousy aging back.

I also picked up a new Charvel and really love it!

My year is ending with me getting rid of my beloved Mark IV and picking up a Tremoverb. I just got the Friedman Smallbox pedal which is great and a nice alternative to my staple which is the original Bogner Red (still my fav AIAB)

I have a Fryette PS-2 incoming so I can get the most out of the Tremo (will use the PS-2’s loop) and my other amps. Getting into IRs and hopingthe PS will serve many functions; recording direct, getting killer, manageable sounds at home and eventually acting as a power amp for some rack pres. I might need a Studio pre to replace my Mark!

Pretty good on guitars although I’d like to grab a baritone at some point. 2021 will be the year of the cab for me! I really would like a Bogner OS212 and a Traditional Recto 412 straight.

Last edited:
I picked up a Friedman JEL and a reissue pointy head Charvel from 2005 and managed to sell nothing :cautious:

Started off my year with a Fortin Meshuggah and a Friedman Butterslax. Sold both amps and purchased a Hermansson modded Marshall SLP and Hermansson modded Mesa Dual Recto Rev G, I have zero amp gas now for high gain. I see a Bassman in my 2021

Slim.

I've managed to sell every single piece of gear that I own except for my KM7 which is also currently for sale.

When it's all said and done I want to end up with a $400 beater 6 string, a Peavey Bandit combo and a cheapish Acoustic.

Reactions: PDC
Back