How old were you when you started playing guitar ?

10. Was super frustrated with lessons. Gave up.

Picked it back up at 12-13 and taught myself using Metallica tab books. I learned every Metallica song ever up until the Black Album. Then got into other stuff. SRV was a big influence too.

About 8. Wasn't able to get serious with it for another 10 years due to various circumstances.
And even then having to work fulltime it was hard to devote enough time.

I was in 5-6th grade. Think I was in 7th when I got my first electric and amp. Got my first Marshall at around 19-20.

I was big into blues and Hendrix, along with Sabbath.

Thing to get my 10 year old into it. He doesn’t care. I got him into Taekwondo for a little while, but he quit that too. It sucks as an instructor that my kid doesn’t do it.
Showed my son everything I know, drew charts etc. He tried a little while but video games ruled I guess?

10 percussion a few years (xylophone, timpani, drums) and back to bass and guitar. Still like playing percussion and drums. Never got very good at keyboards.

Last edited:
14 for me..kid on the block was playing Priest songs and I was mesmerized. Had to try and learn. Self taught; the local guy everyone wanted for a teacher was backed up for months.
It's funny how back then (1981) no tab was available yet...so we all had to put the record on and try and learn by ear. Since the mid 80s guys don't have to learn that way; they can 'cheat' to get it right. I think that's hurt guys' ear to recognize stuff they hear and transpose it naturally,

My son plays and is FAR more gifted than I. He was picking things out by ear first as I tried to keep him off the net with the tab stuff. But he doesn't play much as he's too busy with my 2 yr old grandson lol.

I realized early on that musicians got girls.
Accordion at 12 in '78. I was not a popular kid.
Bass at 14 in '80. Started getting girls playing Van Halen, Priest and Iron Maiden.
Guitar at 19 in '85. Started playing thrash. Much fewer girls at that point.
Got married in '89. Downward spiral from that point on.
Now I'd rather have peace of mind than a piece of ass.

First guitar when I was 6. Just dabbled until 14 or so when I learned Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo. Wasn't obsessed until I was 18.

I realized early on that musicians got girls.
Accordion at 12 in '78. I was not a popular kid.
Bass at 14 in '80. Started getting girls playing Van Halen, Priest and Iron Maiden.
Guitar at 19 in '85. Started playing thrash. Much fewer girls at that point.
Got married in '89. Downward spiral from that point on.
Now I'd rather have peace of mind than a piece of ass.
Realizes musicians get girls.
Picks up an accordion….:hys:
DDA8C617-0D75-4D1A-929A-3C43F4F86B5E.jpeg

Back