I recreated the studio rig of classic Alice In Chains.

thefyn

I wish I had thicker strings to better handle the tension and not be sloppy in the lows but I had a lot of ducks in a row.

ElectricVoodoo":34l86e21 said:
Great job nailing that tone. Sounds incredible!

Thanks chaps. When I walked behind the cab while playing I heard that unobtaneum darkness that I heard on the album.

It's crazy how a tiny 1x12 cab was used in the studio to get THAT tone but after going behind it with an open back it made sense.

Sounds rad, man! Thoroughly enjoyed that. The clarity of the full chords with all that gain is nailed nicely. Well done... :thu:

Steve

Keep in mind that Dirt wasn't Marshall. Facelift was a mix of a rental JCM800 that Reinhold had modded along with a Randall for rhythm. Dirt rhythm tracks were a blend of an Ecstasy, Rockman and most importantly a Fish through a Mesa 2:90.

Sucks that a lot of posts got deleted with the recent member exodus but we had Ronnie Champagne posting here discussing in detail what was used during facelift and Dirt in detail.

To the OP, your clip sounds great and you did a great job but some corrections to what Jerry actually used that was mentioned...

He used a late 60's Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks mic'd in a stairwell.

The only over drive pedal used was a BK butler into a Bassman 50.

The JCM 800 was modded by Bogner it was a 50 watter as well. Straight in, no need for a pedal let alone a TS9.

Like I said not trying to criticize, I think OP did a great job! Just want to make some corrections so misinformation isn't perpetuated.

In case you guys don't believe me here was a copy of his post I saved:

"...i know this is a really old thread,i just came across it...my name is Ronnie Champagne i was the engineer with Dave Jerden Producing on Facelift...i am the owner of the Snorkler...that we used for most of the guitar and some six string bass tracks on the album Facelift...its a Marshall 50 watt jcm 800 combo 4010 that i had Bogner modify for me...4-12ax7a tubes and el34's for power...i got in Canada in '83 as a trade for a 50 watt half stack that i didnt want to carry to the states when i moved to L.A. in '84...i was using Andy Brauer rentals in n.Hollywood for most of the gear we used on Janes Addiction's Nothings Shocking and Andy turned me onto a Bogner Modified jcm 800 that Rheinhold had modded...apparently he did a few...for Eddie and Steve and Joe...well i had the same amp and took it over to Rheinhold and asked him to do exactly the same thing to mine...he refused... saying that he was trying to launch his own product...i told him i didnt care how much it costs and that my clients would send him a ton of business,to which he capitulated,grudgingly....good move i'd say!this is the nastiest amp ive ever played thru...you are correct that we used a 4x12 with greenbacks in a stairwell all knobs on ten for solos...but we also used it in various settings for a multitude of overdubs...using a shure sm57 into a neve 1073 into a la-2a compressor/limiter to the tape machine...i also used it on Janes Ritual,Social Distortion,Deconstruction with Dave Navarro and Eric Avery from Janes....and many other records worldwide...plus i toured Europe with it as my main amp...we also used Bogner Ecstacy(?) and Fishes with Navarro....none had the totally full on brazen tone though...it is THE platinum amp,priceless to me(Jerry offered me big cash for it,but i aint no dummy!)in fact the last time i hung out with Alice(new guys) in Boston he still was complaining and wanting....as a side note i also used a R.K.Butler TubeDriver pre amp into a vintage Fender Bassman for many of the 'mellower' tones and also my pink Kramer Baretta 1 with a Ultrasonic 3 pickup(single and humbucker modes) plus a lot of Telecaster drop D tuned...the Snorkler responds unbelievably to single coil pick ups...we also used a Coral elecric sitar (amazing!) thru it...plus the six string bass for chorus's on many tracks...ala the Who....the Snorkler logo is from an old fire extinguisher i found in Hollywood...plus its a reference to blow snorters...my assistant attempted a clone of it but for some reason the o.g. still kicks its ass...ive a/b 'd it to most of the Bogner amps and this puppy is a boutique slayer...i also had some minor alterations done to it by the Professor in Seattle,mostly grounding and switches etc and he built me a new enclosure,i got the vox fabric from Jackson Brown....oh ya i used a KK Audio 1x12 cabinet with an ev 250 12L speaker(totally killer!)for most of the tracking....if y'all have any questions feel free to e-mail me at (removed)...i love chatting gear!but i live to play it!!!!Ronnie C... :)"

Oh man all of those posts from Ronnie got deleted? That was a very informative thread! What's up with that? Didn't he mention someone was able to get a Kemper profile of that original amp? ...anyway nice attempt on coping jerrys tone, I'm a huge fan of it as well.

Ronnie didn't start the thread, so he did not request the posts be deleted. Ronnie just joined in late into the thread. I think Reza started the thread or another member who left and requested his posts get deleted therefore the thread got deleted.

I was thinking about starting a thread to see if anyone save Ronnie's other posts, I only saved that one I posted here.

EXPcustom":1fjl4drv said:
Ronnie didn't start the thread, so he did not request the posts be deleted. Ronnie just joined in late into the thread. I think Reza started the thread or another member who left and requested his posts get deleted therefore the thread got deleted.

I was thinking about starting a thread to see if anyone save Ronnie's other posts, I only saved that one I posted here.

That thread was lost during some weird database thing last year where a whole day worth of threads mysteriously disappeared. Anything that got posted on in the time period disappeared. I was going to ask if you had saved any more of the material until I got to your last post. I wish saved the material I had but didn't realize it would be an issue.

And yes, acidvoodoo , there was mention in that thread that he had Kemper profiles of the Snorkler and still had the amp.

There's also a member here who I can't recall at the moment that tried to clone the Snorkler sound and got fairly close.

I'm digging around a bit to see if I can find a cached version of the RT thread but I'm not seeing anything. There are quite a few other forums with the same post pasted and links back to the original thread which no longer exists. I did find the pics from that thread here:

http://thermionic-studios.com/node/21

Back