Is it me, or have Daddario's gone to shit?

Not to mention that if you actually played those guitars with any regularity the strings would be divoted as fuck from the frets after 8 years....no way they'd come close to intonating

I know right?

Not changing strings after 2 weeks is stretching it for me cos I play every day but 8 years??????

I never* have to change strings - but have always been a Fender 150, GHS Nickel Rocker guy. Last few years I have liked the DR Pure Blues. Gibson vintage pure nickel seems fine too - but I have only had them for about 5 months.

*not exaggerating - I have two guitars right now with strings probably 8-9 years old and they are still shiny and bright
8 years? Man, you must have the cleanest hands and a light touch, my strings get roached after 2 weeks

Do coated strings help reduce fret wear?? It seems like the coating might help this, but IDK??

So far so good for me... Ive used them for decades. Sound fine and I'm cheap. I corrode strings in hours with my, apparently, toxic hand sweat.
My hands used to corrode strings very fast, but that was when I was a teenager. When I got older my hand sweat became less toxic to the strings and they last forever now, kinda weird.

I don't notice a difference between brands except for those overpriced coated Elixirs and the garbage neon DR ones

Not to mention that if you actually played those guitars with any regularity the strings would be divoted as fuck from the frets after 8 years....no way they'd come close to intonating
No, I play 9s or 10s (depending on FR or traditional bridge). I have a very light touch and my hands don’t sweat or have any acidity. My Telecaster - man it may be 2012 since I changed strings on that guitar and I am currently sessioning that one. Usually what happens is a truss rod will need adjusting and I hate unbolting my necks so I take it in and tell’em to change the strings while they’re at it. My Tele just never needs adjusting.

I don't notice a difference between brands except for those overpriced coated Elixirs and the garbage neon DR ones

There may not be a difference in tone but there is definitely a difference in feel and tension.

EB and GHS 9s are way slinkier than D'Addario 9s

I never* have to change strings - but have always been a Fender 150, GHS Nickel Rocker guy. Last few years I have liked the DR Pure Blues. Gibson vintage pure nickel seems fine too - but I have only had them for about 5 months.

*not exaggerating - I have two guitars right now with strings probably 8-9 years old and they are still shiny and bright
Fender 150’s are more musical/less harsh sounding than Ernie Ball Slinky’s or any other non-pure nickel/nickel plated string I’ve tried. That’s what sold me: TONE. They don’t corrode and fade like slinky’s either. A Fender guy admitted they are made by D’Addario.

I used to do outdoor beach bar gigs and just a Fri/Sat night will totally trash a set of strings and put more age on your guitar than years sitting in an air conditioned home. So I can see there being huge differences between string changes.

I've been D'Addario forever, I have a couple of straps and lots of D'Addario "I ♡ my strings" shaker glasses from saving the packaging and I threw out a shoe box packed with old packaging during a move.

Ignotance is bliss tho. I don't really think about it other than gage and I'm not paying NYXL prices.

I used to do outdoor beach bar gigs and just a Fri/Sat night will totally trash a set of strings and put more age on your guitar than years sitting in an air conditioned home. So I can see there being huge differences between string changes.

I've been D'Addario forever, I have a couple of straps and lots of D'Addario "I ♡ my strings" shaker glasses from saving the packaging and I threw out a shoe box packed with old packaging during a move.

Ignotance is bliss tho. I don't really think about it other than gage and I'm not paying NYXL prices.
Yes, doing sessions is FAR different from my long-lost live days. My old band used to have the Byron Nelson golf tournament gig every year and that sweaty/humid environment would mean 2 shows for a set of strings.

What a great gig that was - five or six thousand screaming folks under a massive pavilion tent. Fun times!

Yes, doing sessions is FAR different from my long-lost live days. My old band used to have the Byron Nelson golf tournament gig every year and that sweaty/humid environment would mean 2 shows for a set of strings.

What a great gig that was - five or six thousand screaming folks under a massive pavilion tent. Fun times!
When I was around 16 years old I used to work at the Byron Nelson (late 80s). It was a lot of fun! If that was when your band was playing I may have seen you there.

When I was around 16 years old I used to work at the Byron Nelson (late 80s). It was a lot of fun! If that was when your band was playing I may have seen you there.
We played there mid-to-late 90s.

SO fun. Crazy. We left our setup at the location because it was a 5-day gig so I just took my old Marshall Valvestate 65 and a Boss pedal board. Sounded great!

My session amp those days was a VHT Fifty/Twelve which was incredible but I didn’t want it walking off.

Back