Is Synergy still Worthy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skoora
  • Start date Start date
I wish there were more rack preamp options besides Syn-2... I dont want to buy a 30 year old rack preamp and have to worry about recapping a PCB.
 
I have the SYN-1, SYN-2, and a PS-2 as one of my main rigs. Was a Randall MTS guy for a while as well back in the day. The power amp makes the difference as far as I am concerned.

Sometimes I will run the preamps into random amp power sections and they all bring a different feel and sound. Find the power section that works for you, and the modules will bring you into that family of tone for sure at a fraction of the price.

Players that are touring the Synergy stuff as of late that I can remember are Opeth, Vai, Tremont, and Bjorn from In Flames recently posted a pic of his SYN-2 with a 6505 and JCM800 modules loaded up.
 
I wish I could find the Randall modules for a goof price, want to have a few modded, and want to try my hand at modding a few. They are really hard to find for a reasonable price used.
 
I have the SYN-1, SYN-2, and a PS-2 as one of my main rigs. Was a Randall MTS guy for a while as well back in the day. The power amp makes the difference as far as I am concerned.

Sometimes I will run the preamps into random amp power sections and they all bring a different feel and sound. Find the power section that works for you, and the modules will bring you into that family of tone for sure at a fraction of the price.

Players that are touring the Synergy stuff as of late that I can remember are Opeth, Vai, Tremont, and Bjorn from In Flames recently posted a pic of his SYN-2 with a 6505 and JCM800 modules loaded up.
Hey how are you digging the Gator rack?
 
Hey how are you digging the Gator rack?
So far so good. Tomorrow night will be the real test though. Both of my main rigs are at a tech and I pick them up tomorrow.

I broke a speaker jack on the Powerstation partly because I was trying to dig behind the 19" deep rack and my amp shelf didn't have wheels to pull out. Getting behind it was a pain. I added wheels to the shelf and will need to reload the new shallow rack tomorrow night. Expecting a much easier experience!

Also excited to get my 2203X back. I knew that it needed some serious attention even before it blew up. Two power tubes were completely gone, the other two tested at 30%. Two filter caps were bulging, and the bias section had to be replaced. Some other things needed to be cleaned up and the input jack was bad. Basically had the tech make it as clean and bullet proof as possible.
 
i’d really like a zero watt 3 tube AC45 module.
one channel of bruce’s AC30 ch 1 module with a top boost/brilliance control, and one channel of JTM 45 glassy clean to classic breakup gain.
 
i’d really like a zero watt 3 tube AC45 module.
one channel of bruce’s AC30 ch 1 module with a top boost/brilliance control, and one channel of JTM 45 glassy clean to classic breakup gain.
Two sounds I would really dig having. Can’t imagine they could nail down both in one module though.
 
Two sounds I would really dig having. Can’t imagine they could nail down both in one module though.
the DS definitely has some JTM charm. i had an opportunity to do a shootout with some very coveted early radio spares/gold lion kt66 loaded JTM 45s, the Dirty Shirly combo, the DS syn module into the return of the DS combo, and my mojave peacemaker, which Victor explained to me starts life as a replica of his favorite personal plexi Super Bass.

(i had him do the high gain mod to the PM, and then custom voice it to have more JTM 45 EQ qualities.)

with the exception of slightly less honey jar glass and ping in the top end that the vintage amps exhibited, my peacemaker was very much in the zone. the DS module held its own to the extent that it inspired me to buy it.

to demonstrate the range of the DS, the cleans in this clip are DS blue channel set for more modern glass:



and this one is DS blue channel again set more vintage edge of breakup being hit with a Bogner blue pedal



that was running through the vht 2-90-2. it gets even sweeter in a vintage way with my Randall RT2/50 power amp.

and since we’re on the AC30 subject here’s my randall top boost module (essentially channel 1 of Bruce’s vox ac module) which i sent to him to mod so that it didn’t break up as quickly on the gain knob and do this improvement:
“

Randall Clean & Blackface Mods​

There was an issue discovered after several production runs in all the clean to mid-gain Randall models including the Clean, Blackface, DLX, Top Boost, Plexi, JTM, & Brown, that causes excess distortion overloading the input gain. Too eliminate this issue and clean up these modules, position R1 which is a 470 ohm 1/2w resistor, needs to be changed to a 150 Ohm 1/2w resistor. This is only the early production Randall models and some of the early Egnater models. The new modules have been fixed at the factory but you should check any current module that you have. You can identify what value is in your module by the color bands located on the resistor, 470 ohm resistors have yellow, purple, and brown color bands, where the correct 150 ohm resistors have brown, green, brown color bands.”

 
the DS definitely has some JTM charm. i had an opportunity to do a shootout with some very coveted early radio spares/gold lion kt66 loaded JTM 45s, the Dirty Shirly combo, the DS syn module into the return of the DS combo, and my mojave peacemaker, which Victor explained to me starts life as a replica of his favorite personal plexi Super Bass.

(i had him do the high gain mod to the PM, and then custom voice it to have more JTM 45 EQ qualities.)

with the exception of slightly less honey jar glass and ping in the top end that the vintage amps exhibited, my peacemaker was very much in the zone. the DS module held its own to the extent that it inspired me to buy it.

to demonstrate the range of the DS, the cleans in this clip are DS blue channel set for more modern glass:



and this one is DS blue channel again set more vintage edge of breakup being hit with a Bogner blue pedal



that was running through the vht 2-90-2. it gets even sweeter in a vintage way with my Randall RT2/50 power amp.

and since we’re on the AC30 subject here’s my randall top boost module (essentially channel 1 of Bruce’s vox ac module) which i sent to him to mod so that it didn’t break up as quickly on the gain knob and do this improvement:
“

Randall Clean & Blackface Mods​

There was an issue discovered after several production runs in all the clean to mid-gain Randall models including the Clean, Blackface, DLX, Top Boost, Plexi, JTM, & Brown, that causes excess distortion overloading the input gain. Too eliminate this issue and clean up these modules, position R1 which is a 470 ohm 1/2w resistor, needs to be changed to a 150 Ohm 1/2w resistor. This is only the early production Randall models and some of the early Egnater models. The new modules have been fixed at the factory but you should check any current module that you have. You can identify what value is in your module by the color bands located on the resistor, 470 ohm resistors have yellow, purple, and brown color bands, where the correct 150 ohm resistors have brown, green, brown color bands.”


Nice. Now you need a Mesa 20/20 or Marshall EL84 power amp for the Top Boost module. Didn’t Morgan have a module in the early synergy days based on his AC20 or something like that?
I’ve always felt the DS is the Friedman amp I jive with the most but since the Plex came out, I like that as well. Your clips of the Steve Stevens amps though are really good. I only ever got to play a v1. about 10 years ago at a GC and liked it a little more than the BE-100 that was there (around 2015 or so).
 
Nice. Now you need a Mesa 20/20 or Marshall EL84 power amp for the Top Boost module. Didn’t Morgan have a module in the early synergy days based on his AC20 or something like that?
I’ve always felt the DS is the Friedman amp I jive with the most but since the Plex came out, I like that as well. Your clips of the Steve Stevens amps though are really good. I only ever got to play a v1. about 10 years ago at a GC and liked it a little more than the BE-100 that was there (around 2015 or so).
super agree about using the right matching power amp. the transient of the attack is fine with the vht kt88 power but the back end of the note/chord as it decays is stiff,
compared to running the same module through the randall RT2/50 power amp, which is saggier and closer to the real AC30 crumbly touch vibe.

if i lived close enough to check this out in person, it could be a very stealthy AC30 package…

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/R...311da33861d46da&algoliaIndexName=guitarcenter

https://www.randallamplifiers.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2020/03/RM20_22MANUAL_9_21_10.pdf
 
super agree about using the right matching power amp. the transient of the attack is fine with the vht kt88 power but the back end of the note/chord as it decays is stiff,
compared to running the same module through the randall RT2/50 power amp, which is saggier and closer to the real AC30 crumbly touch vibe.

if i lived close enough to check this out in person, it could be a very stealthy AC30 package…

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/R...311da33861d46da&algoliaIndexName=guitarcenter

https://www.randallamplifiers.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2020/03/RM20_22MANUAL_9_21_10.pdf
That RM22 is brilliant.
 
Awesome tones are always worthy, my friend. :)

I actually love the feel of the power and preamp decoupled. I have a 2xSyn2 and KSR PA100R rig loaded with EL34s and a SYN30 w/ 6L6s. The KSR is so flexible. It is really the ultimate setup for me. I do not want/need the preamps to sound like some specific head. I am using them to build different configs that sound and feel the way I want that particular load out to perform. It’s really the ultimate. I’ve seriously considered selling all my sh*t but the Synergy items. I have like 7 or 8 other heads of various flavors. I also have three other standalone power amps I can set up with them and they can be wired into the heads’ loops but really do not screw with that stuff anymore as I am locked in with my setup now and have my sounds.
 
Awesome tones are always worthy, my friend. :)

I actually love the feel of the power and preamp decoupled. I have a 2xSyn2 and KSR PA100R rig loaded with EL34s and a SYN30 w/ 6L6s. The KSR is so flexible. It is really the ultimate setup for me. I do not want/need the preamps to sound like some specific head. I am using them to build different configs that sound and feel the way I want that particular load out to perform. It’s really the ultimate. I’ve seriously considered selling all my sh*t but the Synergy items. I have like 7 or 8 other heads of various flavors. I also have three other standalone power amps I can set up with them and they can be wired into the heads’ loops but really do not screw with that stuff anymore as I am locked in with my setup now and have my sounds.
synergy is great, and if a players spends a bit more to fine tune the all elements (specific preamp tubes, power tube amp & speakers) you should be able to get so close to the boutique target than you should be very happy, save some money, and no one in the audience should be able to tell the difference.

i also need to spend more time with the tonex stuff too.

 
synergy is great, and if a players spends a bit more to fine tune the all elements (specific preamp tubes, power tube amp & speakers) you should be able to get so close to the boutique target than you should be very happy, save some money, and no one in the audience should be able to tell the difference.

i also need to spend more time with the tonex stuff too.


I have been playing guitar since 85' and over the years have had huge tube amps and solid state and also chased the trends. I had a Johnson Amplification amp, LINE 6, Tech 21 analog, Fractal, etc.

Several years ago I started feeling like my tone was not organic enough and wanted that tube or close to tube tone but also wanted lighter, simple, etc. The thing I like about amp modules is that you can be a desktop recorder, coffeehouse player, or arena, and can take that module and create around it.

I really liked the Synergy tone with my 20IR amp. Then I got the Fryette and love it even more. These preamps are from the companies and then you are using whatever you need to get volume, convenience, etc. If i hadn't gone down the Synergy route I probably would have snagged a Fractal unit and did the modelling thing again. I'm glad though that I have tube sound but in a convenient package.
 
I have been playing guitar since 85' and over the years have had huge tube amps and solid state and also chased the trends. I had a Johnson Amplification amp, LINE 6, Tech 21 analog, Fractal, etc.

Several years ago I started feeling like my tone was not organic enough and wanted that tube or close to tube tone but also wanted lighter, simple, etc. The thing I like about amp modules is that you can be a desktop recorder, coffeehouse player, or arena, and can take that module and create around it.

I really liked the Synergy tone with my 20IR amp. Then I got the Fryette and love it even more. These preamps are from the companies and then you are using whatever you need to get volume, convenience, etc. If i hadn't gone down the Synergy route I probably would have snagged a Fractal unit and did the modelling thing again. I'm glad though that I have tube sound but in a convenient package.
If the convenience was the only thing, it would be a toss up. The fact that it slays the all in one amps I have played makes it a no brainer. I am being patient to be responsible, but I will be getting my synergy setup as soon as it is feasible
 
I can echo some statements here. Power amp matters a surprising amount.

At first, I had a SYN-1 and no power amp. I was running it through my EVH 100S and Mark VII power sections initially. Running the IIC module through the Mark VII in IIC+ mode, we could barely tell any difference. Easy to forget which is the module and which is the amp.

I tried a couple of the small pedal board SS power amps, and they were not good.

I tried a Power Station, and felt it was too neutral.

Eventually, I landed on a KSR PA50, and it brought these modules to life in a surprising way. The Powerball module quickly became my favorite with that power amp. By then, I had already moved the IIC module (redundant with the VII), and I replaced it with the UL module, which was a close second behind the Powerball.

I also ran the Powerball module through my other guitar player's Powerball II, and there was no difference. We could not tell a difference between the module and the amp. Literally identical tone. It was kind of shocking.
 
I run a wdw system with three Syn 2’s. I use the Fryette PS100 for the dry and an ART SLA2 for the wets. I have other stereo tube power amps (Engl and Mesa) but I find that I like the PS100 best with the Synergy modules because it is more transparent and lets the individual character of each module stand out. The stereo power amps or a head for the matter always have a distinct coloring that they add to the sound, which I find make the modules sound more similar, especially the high gain modules.
 
I can echo some statements here. Power amp matters a surprising amount.

At first, I had a SYN-1 and no power amp. I was running it through my EVH 100S and Mark VII power sections initially. Running the IIC module through the Mark VII in IIC+ mode, we could barely tell any difference. Easy to forget which is the module and which is the amp.

I tried a couple of the small pedal board SS power amps, and they were not good.

I tried a Power Station, and felt it was too neutral.

Eventually, I landed on a KSR PA50, and it brought these modules to life in a surprising way. The Powerball module quickly became my favorite with that power amp. By then, I had already moved the IIC module (redundant with the VII), and I replaced it with the UL module, which was a close second behind the Powerball.

I also ran the Powerball module through my other guitar player's Powerball II, and there was no difference. We could not tell a difference between the module and the amp. Literally identical tone. It was kind of shocking.
That is awesome that is was so close!

I wanted a KSR PA50 and was ready to buy and even was going to travel to the shop but I couldn't get a hold of anyone thru any format and was nervous because they seemed to be having supply issues back when I was looking. I'd definitely get one in the future.
 
I wish they would make the Syn 50 with big iron and the ability to change tubes. That way you can make a more exact pairing with the pre-amp.

Also make a Syn 100, same deal with the tubes but add three slots. That's really what has held me up from going that as I feel locked in with a 6L6.
Egnater Mod 100 100 watt amp head with 4 modular rack spaces, predecessor to the Synergy Syn 50 50 watt modular amp head.
 
synergy is great, and if a players spends a bit more to fine tune the all elements (specific preamp tubes, power tube amp & speakers) you should be able to get so close to the boutique target than you should be very happy, save some money, and no one in the audience should be able to tell the difference.

i also need to spend more time with the tonex stuff too.



I have made hundreds of ToneX capturess of my Synergy modules. Definitely nice to have those sounds when I just feel like playing at low volume through the computer.
 

Similar threads

the rossness
Replies
26
Views
4K
Techdeth
Techdeth
PDC
Replies
5
Views
3K
alund
alund
TotallyRadGuitars
Replies
13
Views
2K
TotallyRadGuitars
TotallyRadGuitars
BackCrack
Replies
274
Views
28K
Hardvalve
H
Back
Top