Lets talk about Yngwie's New Album

The production is really bad so the album is hard to listen to and fatiguing on the ears. But this would've been a good Yngwie album had he worked with a real producer. The songs will probably translate well live. He just needs to stop self producing his albums.

Last edited:
As much as the sound production suffers, his composition writing skills also suffer. His improvised solos are suffering because it's always the same keys, and the same drum patterns. If the drum pattern is always, "dooka dokka dooka dokka dooka dokka", with the Bassline in E, then it always warrants the same type of solo...and it's beyond stale.

He needs someone to tie him to a chair, bound and gagged, and show him all the instances in the past 20 years where he has repeated himself, be it lyrically or musically. He needs someone like a Mr. Miyagi to teach him discipline, where if he plays the same arpeggio or same linear run more than once in the same solo, the teacher whips his hand with a cane and says, "nope, you've already played that, do something else!!"

He had a period in the 2010’s where he seemed to be calming down with the ego stuff, but the last few things I’ve heard from him is that old, egotistical Yngwie, to the point I think his management (wife?) is telling him that THAT’S the Yngwie people know and love so to keep being that dick he was in the 80’s.

His attitude and persona gets more attention than his playing does, so I wouldn’t be surprised in the least bit if that was the case.

I kinda figured that Yngwie's ego would have gotten checked a bit when guys like MacAlpine and Stump
came out and showed his neo-classical stuff wasn't so unique and their chops showed Malmsteen wasn't
perched on top on any mountains.

Remember when Guthrie Govan did his mash-up of styles video? He whips out Yngwie like it's nothing.

I kinda figured that Yngwie's ego would have gotten checked a bit when guys like MacAlpine and Stump
came out and showed his neo-classical stuff wasn't so unique and their chops showed Malmsteen wasn't
perched on top on any mountains.

Remember when Guthrie Govan did his mash-up of styles video? He whips out Yngwie like it's nothing.

Guthrie should not be considered or counted he. Not my favorite guitar player, but his on the fly precision and outlandish accuracy and ability to adapt and overcome any style is just different.

his on the fly precision and outlandish accuracy and ability to adapt and overcome any style is just different.

I read an interview recently where a guy listed GG as an influence. Had to stop and realize it's
already been 14 years since he exploded in the guitar world.

I use to jam over backing tracks all the time but got humbled to death hearing GG do it back in 2007.

Cesario Filho is the only guy to actual nail Yngwie's style technique and tone. Actually, you don't realize how amazing Yngwie is until you see someone else try to play like him.

I read an interview recently where a guy listed GG as an influence. Had to stop and realize it's
already been 14 years since he exploded in the guitar world.

I use to jam over backing tracks all the time but got humbled to death hearing GG do it back in 2007.

Yep. Agreed! I discovered him around the time he started blowing up here. Namm, I’m fact, back when Walley from Solidbody guitars was the US Cornford guy! I remember watching him in a little room just killing these tracks on a different level. I think he had just dropped erotic cakes, and am still beyond impressed by his prowess on the skrangs.

Yep. Agreed! I discovered him around the time he started blowing up here. Namm, I’m fact, back when Walley from Solidbody guitars was the US Cornford guy! I remember watching him in a little room just killing these tracks on a different level. I think he had just dropped erotic cakes, and am still beyond impressed by his prowess on the skrangs.

You follow any of The Aristocrats stuff?
Ya need jaw band-aids for this shit.

Cesario Filho is the only guy to actual nail Yngwie's style technique and tone. Actually, you don't realize how amazing Yngwie is until you see someone else try to play like him.

Frigging love that album. He was on fire for this one. Songs were great, incredible arpeggio sequences. He was motivated. Just magic. It all starts with the song though.. he wrote good ones for that era.

Brain is addled from all the booze and coke over the years. Hearing is probably shot too.

It became painfully obvious after Trilogy that was all we were going to get from Yngwie from then on. He's such a talented dude, but it's sad how this is playing out.

Back