Metal heads -- what kind of metal music do you listen to?

dm426

What is your preference? Vintage metal, thrash, death metal, doom metal, metalcore, etc.

Favorite band?

I like a lot of different metal, but my favorites tend to be:

Thrash - All the classic 80's stuff including Big 4, 80's bands that still bring it today like Testament and Overkill, more modern bands that nail the classic sound like Municipal Waste. I know Pantera gets the "groove" label but I kind of throw them in here too.

Melodic and Technical Death Metal - Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Kalmah, Necrophagist, Nile, Gorod, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Psycroptic.

Some power/prog stuff, as long it stays heavy. Symphony X my absolute favorite, Adagio was really good too. Not sure if Nevermore fits here, but another huge favorite. Old Fates Warning. Blind Guardian on more the power side. Primal Fear, Gamma Ray, some Helloween.

Tons of hair metal/classic hard rock all the way too though...I'm all about old school Dokken (really that's my favorite band back in the day along with Ratt), Van Halen, KISS, etc. Classic Priest for sure.

I still like thrash the most, but also dig prog.

80's Metal/Thrash:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Overkill
Exodus
Kreator
Testament
Slayer
Iced Earth
DRI, (crossover, Thrash Zone is a masterpiece)
Havok

Prog:
Opeth
Dream Theater
Pyramaze
Symphony X
DMG
Ghost

Death Metal:
Death
Napalm Death
Malevolent Creation

Thrash/Death/Hardcore:
Sepultura
Lamb Of God
Killswitch Engage
Arch Enemy
Nevermore
Revocation

Those are pretty much my favorite bands.

Hair Metal Mood - Cinderella, Crue, Ratt, Dokken, etc.

Wish I was British Mood - Maiden, Priest, and Motorhead

ADD Build Up/Angry - Slipknot/Powertrip

Thrash Mood - Testament

I listen to so much more though. I'm 50 years old and will be a metalhead until I die. I'll listen to anything if it rocks. I go thru the Sirius metal channels and always getting to hear good stuff I've never heard before on Liquid Metal, etc.

I go thru moods or stages. I'll go thru huge Zeppelin phases and will listen to it on vinyl and will want to buy drapes and lava lamps. Then I'll get mad at work and want to dress up like one of the guys in Slipknot and run down the street clotheslining people. LOL! It is so true about music man. It definitely can take you places.

A little sidenote without getting too wordy, etc. I was an Army brat from birth until 18 years old and then did 21 years in the military myself. With all of that moving, leaving friends, making new friends, etc., music was a God send. When I hear a song, it takes me to a certain state or country or something that happened. It is insane how music can be good or bad in that way. Like that song from Kingdom Come "What Love Can Be" off their first album. I was listening to that when I was in the Germany and the airshow crash happened. All of these people died or were injured and my friends were there and had no way of finding out if they were ok, etc. It took me years to be able to listen to that song again. It would just mess me up. To leave on a good note though, I remember hearing "Caught in a Mosh" by Anthrax in Germany and I was so happy and blown away!!! :)

I'm 37, and started listening to metal in probably 1990. So i grew up on older stuff. I'm a sucker for the classics of most subgrenes before the 2000's. Could never get excited about all the xxx-core bands, or these american kids that rip of all my favorite euro metal riffs from the 90's, but with some "Core" guy singing illegible tough guy or even worse "sensitive tough guy" gibberish over it. Never liked the "Adderall metal" of the late 2000's where everyone was trying to "out tech" each other in tasteless ways. Dillinger esacpe plan was kinda sweet, but all those bands that came after them, :doh: <----me

for me its all about:

-NWOBHM (diamond head, venom, angel witch, etc)
-early American thrash (big 3,etc)
-90s European melodic death metal (in flames, bodom, dark tranquility, opeth, early arch enemy/later carcass, etc)
-90's European back metal (burzum, early Ulver, dark throne, early mayhem, early dimmu borgir, emperor, immortal, even going back to bathory)
-80's and 90's american and euro "traditional" metal bands (i.e ozzy, dio, maiden, motorhead, priest, helloween, accept, scorpions, sonata arctica, early stratovarius, early iced earth, etc)

bands that broke post 2000's?
Mastodon, Gojira, Agalloch, maybe a half dozen others if that.

Metallica and Iron Maiden share the title of GOAT. Greatest of all time, as the hip hop guys say. no bands will ever be as big, or as influential, despite YOUR opinion of them. The size of their success, brand, fan bases, etc speak for itself. no one will ever get to that level again, and rightfully so. Both bands have had some sizeable failures in their careers too, but it doesn't seem to effect their draw, or how passionate their fans are.

my top 10:
1) metallica
2) opeth
3) maiden
4) Bodom
5) in flames (90-2004)
6) Dimmu Borgir (1994-2004)
7) Accept
8) Agalloch
9) Death
10) Hypocrisy

i almost don't consider motorhead a metal band as much as a rock and roll band on speed. but if they're metal to you, then they're in the top 5.

Every bit of it....except folk metal and sludge. Only sludge i've really gotten into was Type O. By folk I mean folk power metal. I don't mind some folk influences in black and extreme.

Okay, so here's another question for you while we're at it. What metal do you dislike that a lot of other people seem to like?

dm426":g5t9h6np said:
Okay, so here's another question for you while we're at it. What metal do you dislike that a lot of other people seem to like?

i never got into iron maiden or priest. none of the european melodeath stuff does anything for me.

Classic Hard Rock/ Hair/Glam metal- I like my music happy and upbeat and always cared more about the music than the lyrics.
Favorite bands-
Van Halen
Dokken/ Lynch Mob
Ratt
Warrant
Danger Danger
The Scorpions
The Darkness

Then the other part of me likes guitar virtuoso metal:
Yngwie
Jason Becker
Vai
Satch
Tony Macalpine
Vinnie Moore
Paul Gilbert

Part of me likes some newer metal bands, but I still tend to be into the more melodic side of metal-
Killswitch Engage
Periphery
Firewind
Children of Bodom
Dragonforce
Steel Panther

And some other bands would be-
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Anthrax
Megadeth
RATM
AIC
Dio

Vintage metal:

Iron Maiden
Ozzy
Black Label Society
Black Sabbath
Dio

Modern metal:

Ahab
Saturnus
Triptykon
Rammstein
A Pale Horse Named Death
Agalloch
Gojira
Godsmack
Metallica

Annoying noise:

Mastodon
Pantera
Slipknot

dm426":hq2souq9 said:

It is not that I dislike it, but the style I could never get into is that European fast metal stuff with the opera-like vocals, double-bass drums, and keyboards. I can't think of what it is called right now. It is like DIO, Accept, and Dream Theater were involved in a gangbang and the baby is that stuff. I have no idea why I'm not into it. I should give some of it another listen probably.

dm426":3ty4ezxo said:
I just can't palette cookie monster vocals. If it has good musicians and I can hear what they are doing I probably will like it. I love instrumentals but bad vocals just ruins it for me.

I'm nearing 50 and got into metal at a young age, back then my favorites were Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, first two Motley Crue albums - then thrash came along and it was Slayer, Exodus, etc. These days I still listen to the old stuff but have gotten more into death metal - old Deicide,Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, War Master, Vital Remains, Cemetery Filth.

SpiderWars":1ckiof60 said:
dm426":1ckiof60 said:
I just can't palette cookie monster vocals. If it has good musicians and I can hear what they are doing I probably will like it. I love instrumentals but bad vocals just ruins it for me.

I get that. The vocals just ruin Lamb of God for me.

Carcass, Napalm Death, morbid angel, Brujeria, Bolt Thrower, obituary

then Doom/Sludge Eyehategod, Buzzoven, Electric Wizard, Bongripper, Pelican

Then stuff like Mastodon

Then Thrash usual suspects

oh and Dethklok

Back