Most quiet amp

I hear a Marshall Major is a decent living room amp. Just need two cabs, minimal space, ya know.

sutepaj":w1d87v39 said:
I always wonder how people have these issues with noisy amps. I can honestly say it has never been an issue with me, even in the studio. I don't use high gain, is that what is causing it? Or is it hum?

This thread is not about noise or hum. It's about dezibels in the living room. :confused:

Racerxrated":34cql2up said:
Quietest amp I’ve owned is the F Triple. Didn’t even know it was on; and that’s with a boost in front.
:LOL: :LOL:
Well I clearly misunderstood the OP. Oops.

I loved my old 2554 Jubilee combo...great low volume amp and very small footprint. Then hook it up to a 4x12 and watch out.

Vin Diezel":2vtpdet7 said:
sutepaj":2vtpdet7 said:
I always wonder how people have these issues with noisy amps. I can honestly say it has never been an issue with me, even in the studio. I don't use high gain, is that what is causing it? Or is it hum?

This thread is not about noise or hum. It's about dezibels in the living room. :confused:

True...I still don't get it though..haha.

swamptrashstompboxes":2o3ybi5y said:
I hear a Marshall Major is a decent living room amp. Just need two cabs, minimal space, ya know.
The Marshall Major isn’t actually super loud even though it was rated at 200 watts. I owned a ‘68 Major and tried 2 others, the 50 watt superleads are way louder. Even the Vox AC30 I just got may be louder or at least similar. For 200 watts it was pretty weak in retrospect. It certainly was no coliseum or Wizard

As for low volume amps, the 2 best I’ve had of the big heads would probably be my ccv or Atomica modded Marshall that I used to have. The IIC+ is does very well at low volume, especially if you boost it. Same with my jubilee. Most Engl’s also did pretty well. There a bunch of good options. The ‘80’s Randall RG100ES also are great for low volume on the red channel, but not at all on the green channel. In general, amps with diode clipping switches seem to do well

The Wizard’s I’ve had and stock Marshall’s besides the Jubilee would all be a no go’s for low volume playing

Just kiddin. I haven't received the lil amp yet. I hope it sounds as good as in the video and gets along with a distortion pedal.
I won't be able to turn it up like that dude did.

braintheory":8fs0wmcz said:
swamptrashstompboxes":8fs0wmcz said:
The Marshall Major isn’t actually super loud even though it was rated at 200 watts. I owned a ‘68 Major and tried 2 others, the 50 watt superleads are way louder. Even the Vox AC30 I just got may be louder or at least similar. For 200 watts it was pretty weak in retrospect. It certainly was no coliseum or Wizard

interesting. i obviously haven't played one, i thought i was being the ultimate smartass but i guess that got debunked. hahahaaha. that is really interesting.

Engls have great master volumes, the Fireball and Savage can even go down to whisper volumes. Diezel VH4 too. If you're into Marshalls, try to snag a JVM of some kind, maybe the Satriani version, those also have a good MV.

The major issue you're going to have with low volume is that tone suffers a bit. Got to have some air moving with speakers like V30s.

However, if you go with a speaker like an EVM12L, you are good to go. Those are able to reproduce tones at low volume as well.

Hi everyone.
Tried to play my 6505 and my vh4 at really low volume today. After listening to the amps at normal levels and very low levels through studio monitors, I can say the difference is very small for the gainier channels. The cleaner channels sound a bit thinner when the volume is low.
Still looking forward to that little blackheart.

nightlight":2sfl0u26 said:
Engls have great master volumes, the Fireball and Savage can even go down to whisper volumes. Diezel VH4 too. If you're into Marshalls, try to snag a JVM of some kind, maybe the Satriani version, those also have a good MV.

The major issue you're going to have with low volume is that tone suffers a bit. Got to have some air moving with speakers like V30s.

However, if you go with a speaker like an EVM12L, you are good to go. Those are able to reproduce tones at low volume as well.

I had a Thiele with an evm12l. Hated it. :D
Greenbacks and v30s I use.

Lil Giant has landed. Hardly any gain unless on 10. Then it's a Page/Young crunch.
The quality of the headshell and chassis is quite unbelievable for the price I paid.

It's a very clean, warm sounding amp, no harshness unless boosted.
Still needs a master volume added for living room use.
I am using an sd9 now but that does mostly fusion leads imho.

Vin Diezel":3krs6auu said:
Lil Giant has landed. Hardly any gain unless on 10. Then it's a Page/Young crunch.
The quality of the headshell and chassis is quite unbelievable for the price I paid.

Congrats man. :cheers:

Welcome to the club. I use my Peavey Vypyr more now for say living room practice while the wife watches her 'people watcher' shows (I call them). It has a headphone jack too though.
:LOL: :LOL: :D :LOL: :LOL:

I have a 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant. Not sure if you can read the words on the inside of the amp but it says 'Choking Hazard - Do Not Put This Amp in Your Mouth'. It has 1 knob and Page/Young the entire sweep.

KAEecZCl.jpg

icBkbVIl.jpg

braintheory":3ccvk2q2 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3ccvk2q2 said:
The Wizard’s I’ve had and stock Marshall’s besides the Jubilee would all be a no go’s for low volume playing

I respectfully couldn't disagree more. I just sold four amps this month and have one more listed on it's way out the door and I sold 8-10 others this past year that were all great at low volume but both MCIIs (2017 & 2020) have been the absolute best low volume amps I've ever owned. With the loop send/return level controls in conjunction with the master, I can get thick, full, punchy, tight, organic tones down at bedroom volumes. Just my 2 :dunno:

Of course the tones get better as you wind the amps up, but with an eq in the loop I have zero issues getting very satisfying tones at bedroom volume from most any tube amp 100w, 50w, whatever wattage. Fortunately, I don't need to play at low volume often if ever :D

MetalHeadMike":ayjxvho7 said:
braintheory":ayjxvho7 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":ayjxvho7 said:

I respectfully couldn't disagree more. I just sold four amps this month and have one more listed on it's way out the door and I sold 8-10 others this past year that were all great at low volume but both MCIIs (2017 & 2020) have been the absolute best low volume amps I've ever owned. With the loop send/return level controls in conjunction with the master, I can get thick, full, punchy, tight, organic tones down at bedroom volumes. Just my 2 :dunno:

Of course the tones get better as you wind the amps up, but with an eq in the loop I have ZERO issues getting VERY satisfying tones at bedroom volume from most any tube amp 100w, 50w, whatever wattage. Fortunately, I don't need to play at low volume often if ever :D
Well to be honest I never really bothered spending much time playing my 2016 MTL at low volumes or even trying to make it sound good at low volumes with those controls. I briefly played it a few times at low volumes and wrote it off as being just like my ‘96 MC1 at low volumes, which didn’t have all those controls and definitely wasn’t good at low volumes, so you may be right about my MTL. I don’t play it as much as my other amps and only play it when the coast is clear to play loud. I mostly just play the iic+ when I need to play quieter like when it’s late at night. Some of my other amps (especially my ccv) are as good or better for low volume playing, but I just tend to always go to that one out of habit

311splawndude":an8em0de said:
Vin Diezel":an8em0de said:

Congrats man. :cheers:

Welcome to the club. I use my Peavey Vypyr more now for say living room practice while the wife watches her 'people watcher' shows (I call them). It has a headphone jack too though.
:LOL: :LOL: :D :LOL: :LOL:

I have a 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant. Not sure if you can read the words on the inside of the amp but it says 'Choking Hazard - Do Not Put This Amp in Your Mouth'. It has 1 knob and Page/Young the entire sweep.

I would have taken the ant, too.

Back