So NAM A2 is shitting all over everything and I'm here for it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nigel
  • Start date Start date
N

Nigel

Well-known member
It's so fucking good, like my God, finally digital that gets it right.

Folks bitching about "Can't turn knobs!" need to stfu and gtfo...no need to tweak if it's setup right.

Can finally capture states of rigs that are on the verge of death from high bias/volume/red plating into oblivion and have that for 24/7 tone.

Talked to an old friend / Master amp creator/tech and he's about to go to a little place in the desert and do ALL of his legendary amps.

My captures of the mods/tweaks I do to his amps and others will be out there too.

I'm most happy for the broke kids that can get the tone for free so they can get on with playing instead of tinkering to oblivion.

What's your opinion on NAM A2?
 
It's so fucking good, like my God, finally digital that gets it right.

Folks bitching about "Can't turn knobs!" need to stfu and gtfo...no need to tweak if it's setup right.

Can finally capture states of rigs that are on the verge of death from high bias/volume/red plating into oblivion and have that for 24/7 tone.

Talked to an old friend / Master amp creator/tech and he's about to go to a little place in the desert and do ALL of his legendary amps.

My captures of the mods/tweaks I do to his amps and others will be out there too.

I'm most happy for the broke kids that can get the tone for free so they can get on with playing instead of tinkering to oblivion.

What's your opinion on NAM A2?
Idk.....


I really think this capture stuff is overrated...... Its not even modeling the amp really and it's just a capture of one sweet spot.....

Its cool and all but from what I hear it's not even modeling an actual amp and it's just kind of like a frame of an amps setting and that's it.



Kind of lame if you ask me and modeling is still where it's at when it comes to digital IMO because it behaves more like a real amp.
 
Also I do believe it's magical thinking just like with anything else before it or any new thing that once you get XYZ now you're going to sound so much better and play that much better....


And XYZ was what one needed all along and it solves all their problems..... Okay sure.


The stuff is nice and it doesn't sound bad but I really think many are getting carried away with this stuff IMO......


Plus shit is free too or not sure how free because you still have to buy an Apple/Intel Laptop, interface, monitors etc etc with it and all this other shit to even use it properly and whats that like 1500 to 2000 dollars or more maybe 3,000$+ or not sure but yeah I'm buying and using real gear and stuff to hook up to real gear digital or analog :dunno:
 
Last edited:
Now we just need a pedal that simulates having a band with decent paying gigs. Capture that. :LOL:
Maybe it could be a pedal you lick that gives you flashbacks or a NAM A2 shroom patch you download or whatever the fuck....


This shit is getting ridiculous 😂
 
NAM A2 is crazy good, but it is very dependent on how great the capture is and most captures out there are garbage. I created my own plugin and app using NAM A2's core. Basically just pulled the raw wavenet inference model out of it and then added my own processing on top it (saturation, eq, ect). I was shooting for a drag and drop finished "album tone" using my 5150 into my Mesa 412, and holy shit is it amazing. I haven't turned that amp on since. The plugin has the sound and feel of exactly what I am after without any effort or time spent on dialing it in. If I was professional artist I would be capturing each tone I use exactly like this and never tour with an amp again.
 
I would love to try some of the capture software. I dont really want to capture shit as much as try what has been captured to see if it is good.

I wont be antidigital if they nail it
 
I'm a capture/digital amp guy. I love my Quad Cortex. I sold all my IIC+'s, Rectifiers, ENGLs, Vox(es) and almost all of my overdrive pedals. It nails 99% of the amp tones I'm after and it captures the pedals at damn near 100%.. The key is capturing your own tones, your own settings. A lot of stuff out there for the kemper, axe-fx, and even quad sound like absolute dogshit.

I tried the NAM out multiple times (pedal, vst, etc..) and it's the same issue. You have no idea what kind of equipment these dudes are capturing with. Every time I read "Captor X" in the description, I skipped. That thing adds such a weird high end artifacting that it will make the nicest tube amp sound like a PODxt. It's always better to capture your amp at your settings with your guitars using quality amp load boxes. I have multiple captures of my amps for different guitars and different tunings.
 
I'm a capture/digital amp guy. I love my Quad Cortex. I sold all my IIC+'s, Rectifiers, ENGLs, Vox(es) and almost all of my overdrive pedals. It nails 99% of the amp tones I'm after and it captures the pedals at damn near 100%.. The key is capturing your own tones, your own settings. A lot of stuff out there for the kemper, axe-fx, and even quad sound like absolute dogshit.

I tried the NAM out multiple times (pedal, vst, etc..) and it's the same issue. You have no idea what kind of equipment these dudes are capturing with. Every time I read "Captor X" in the description, I skipped. That thing adds such a weird high end artifacting that it will make the nicest tube amp sound like a PODxt. It's always better to capture your amp at your settings with your guitars using quality amp load boxes. I have multiple captures of my amps for different guitars and different tunings.
100% this. I doubt ill ever buy another pedal again. Still haven't used NAM but anything captured through a CaptorX was an immediate nope. Sold that thing as quickly as I could. Much better results from the Fractal Loadbox.

Ive gotten to a point where a common amp like a stock 5150, ill use a digital version, and I've started slimming down my tube collection to modded or more rare amps that I'd miss even if I capture them well. My guitars all sound so different that I will always make a tweak here or there when I fire them up.
 
Back
Top