MXR Flanger/Doubler Pedal $333.00

  • Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
The Universal Audio Astra offers the MXR Flanger/Doubler and more pedals for the same price. In Europe it is even cheaper than this new MXR pedal. I would be interested to try this pedal, but not for this price. The retro trend towards famous analog products of the past is driving profit margins today that border on an insult to the customer.

That is digital. One nice thing about this MXR is it is trying to replicate the analog BBD delay design with modern BBDs.
 
I use doubling with my full gig rig but there are a lot of options besides MXR when you are hitting that $350 dollar mark.

I kind of wonder if you could get something similar with an analog delay set to 30ms - 50ms or so.

The doubling does sound good on the clips. Less metallic than using like a digital delay or micropitch or something.
 
I kind of wonder if you could get something similar with an analog delay set to 30ms - 50ms or so.
I think so but it would depend on your needs. I'm using a Spaceman Meridian set nearly to the lowest delay point which makes it around 1-1.5ms. It maxes out at 50ms and the shortest delay time is .8ms. If I crank delay time it doesn't sound like a good basic electric guitar anymore. I just want a fatter, bigger sounding note so depending on what you're after 30-50ms might not be a short enough delay time. For reference, I looked up the specs on the MXR and it goes down as low as 17ms to 66ms max.
 
While we’re talking about Doublers, has anybody been using anything besides the Mimiq?

I’ve heard really good things about the KMA Geminus. I haven’t played one, but clips on YouTube show it to sound good.
 
I think so but it would depend on your needs. I'm using a Spaceman Meridian set nearly to the lowest delay point which makes it around 1-1.5ms. It maxes out at 50ms and the shortest delay time is .8ms. If I crank delay time it doesn't sound like a good basic electric guitar anymore. I just want a fatter, bigger sounding note so depending on what you're after 30-50ms might not be a short enough delay time. For reference, I looked up the specs on the MXR and it goes down as low as 17ms to 66ms max.

Yeah, I said 30ms - 50ms because I looked up the MXR specs last night and saw the doubling mode said 17ms to 66ms.

I am not sure if the doubling mode is straight delay though, or if it still has the modulation in the signal.
 
Yeah, I said 30ms - 50ms because I looked up the MXR specs last night and saw the doubling mode said 17ms to 66ms.

I am not sure if the doubling mode is straight delay though, or if it still has the modulation in the signal.
According to google it still has modulation but like the meridian you can adjust the controls to minimize or eliminate the sweep.
 
According to google it still has modulation but like the meridian you can adjust the controls to minimize or eliminate the sweep.

I have an analog BBD delay with modulation I built a while back. I tried it tonight like this, and it works pretty well! Delay time barely on, feedback barely on, and a little bit of rate and depth. I was definitely getting in the ballpark of what I am hearing in the MXR videos.

Something like a Deluxe Memory Man might work well for this, as it is a common analog BBD Delay with Modulation.
 
I have an analog BBD delay with modulation I built a while back. I tried it tonight like this, and it works pretty well! Delay time barely on, feedback barely on, and a little bit of rate and depth. I was definitely getting in the ballpark of what I am hearing in the MXR videos.
Nice man! Sounds similar to how I run the meridian. Regen all the way down, rate and time barely cracked, width to basically minimum. I'm not sure how the Meridian gets such small sub 1ms delay times but it uses a 3007 chip which isn't uncommon IIRC and apparently is the same chip used in the new MXR unit.

Having done some more digging it looks like the original used reticon chips, now not really available, so apparently the new unit isn't really even the same as the original so it really strikes me as kind of a fanboy shakedown i.e false advertising.
 
Nice man! Sounds similar to how I run the meridian. Regen all the way down, rate and time barely cracked, width to basically minimum. I'm not sure how the Meridian gets such small sub 1ms delay times but it uses a 3007 chip which isn't uncommon IIRC and apparently is the same chip used in the new MXR unit.

Having done some more digging it looks like the original used reticon chips, now not really available, so apparently the new unit isn't really even the same as the original so it really strikes me as kind of a fanboy shakedown i.e false advertising.

Yeah, the original used the Reticon SAD1024, so any reissue will never be a direct clone. Most newer pedals use the MN3007 (EHX style) or 3207 (Boss Style). I have built a ton of BBD pedals, and I have used both of those. The analog delay I was talking about uses the MN3005, and so does my DMM clone, which I will have to try tomorrow like this.

Yeah, the MN3007 is pretty common, especially in EHX type pedals... Small Clone, Electric Mistress, etc.... the newer ones of course. The old 70's ones were Reticon also.

I am sure the new one will be cool either way. It had to be redesigned, but it seems to capture the vibe of the original from what I hear in clips. I just wonder how different the Flanger mode is from the regular MXR EVH/M117 Flanger. It seems like the doubler mode is really the unique feature of this pedal.
 
I am sure the new one will be cool either way. It had to be redesigned, but it seems to capture the vibe of the original from what I hear in clips. I just wonder how different the Flanger mode is from the regular MXR EVH/M117 Flanger. It seems like the doubler mode is really the unique feature of this pedal.
I'm sure it's decent, it sounded good in the demos, it's just not true to the original. And it's monstrously overpriced by 30% or more.

No idea on the flanger side of things. I've never used flanging for anything besides pedal steel. It does seem like the doubler is the unique feature of the pedal, which is why I was interested in it. Short of just trying to get an analog delay to achieve doubling it seems like very few analog options exist right now that are marketed based around their doubling effect.
 
I'm sure it's decent, it sounded good in the demos, it's just not true to the original. And it's monstrously overpriced by 30% or more.

No idea on the flanger side of things. I've never used flanging for anything besides pedal steel. It does seem like the doubler is the unique feature of the pedal, which is why I was interested in it. Short of just trying to get an analog delay to achieve doubling it seems like very few analog options exist right now that are marketed based around their doubling effect.
You are using a $329 pedal to get a tone similar to a $333.00 pedal and complaining it is overpriced by 30%? Must be Rig Talk math…
 
While we’re talking about Doublers, has anybody been using anything besides the Mimiq?

I’ve heard really good things about the KMA Geminus. I haven’t played one, but clips on YouTube show it to sound good.

Back when I was the only guitar player in a band I used the mimiq but also a cheap Marshall super vibe chorus that worked really well for it

I've heard people get good results with just about every stereo flanger and chorus known to man
 
You are using a $329 pedal to get a tone similar to a $333.00 pedal and complaining it is overpriced by 30%? Must be Rig Talk math…
I don't know if I'm using it to get a tone similar to the MXR, I'm just using it cause it is a high quality analog pedal that can do doubling. Spaceman is a premium small maker and MXR is mass produced stuff. I could likely sell it now for more than I paid for it. Good luck with the MXR. Spaceman has a track record of premium pricing and limited runs, MXR decided to rob Dimebag fanboys by pricing THIS particular pedal in the premium range. Never mind the Meridian functions as a doubler, flanger, modulation, and has a killer chorus. The same can't be said for the MXR.
 
I'm sure it's decent, it sounded good in the demos, it's just not true to the original. And it's monstrously overpriced by 30% or more.

No idea on the flanger side of things. I've never used flanging for anything besides pedal steel. It does seem like the doubler is the unique feature of the pedal, which is why I was interested in it. Short of just trying to get an analog delay to achieve doubling it seems like very few analog options exist right now that are marketed based around their doubling effect.

I also built a clone of the old EHX Echoflanger / Polychorus that does the Flange, Chorus, and Double Tracker thing and is all analog with 2 MN3007s in it. That pedal sounds amazing also, but it is very dark. It really chops off the high end.
 
I also built a clone of the old EHX Echoflanger / Polychorus that does the Flange, Chorus, and Double Tracker thing and is all analog with 2 MN3007s in it. That pedal sounds amazing also, but it is very dark. It really chops off the high end.
They want a fortune for those original Polychorus units, it's insane.....

Are you able to dial some sufficient highs back in using an EQ?
 
They want a fortune for those original Polychorus units, it's insane.....

Are you able to dial some sufficient highs back in using an EQ?

I probably could, but I wired it for true bypass, so it is more noticeable. The original isn't, so you wouldn't notice as much because it would always darken your tone.

Yeah, all those old big box pedals go for stupid prices these days. That is why I built clones of all of them, lol.
 
it is a testament to how likable and authentic dime was that there are(at least back in my day) a legion of local band jagoffs who rocked his whole look (pink extended goatee, cargo shorts, chucks, tats, etc), and every piece of gear he ever played/endorsed, and don't even try to look/play original. In the last half of the 2000's they were everywhere that the core kids weren't.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top