new Down : (

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaceU4her
  • Start date Start date
This definitely gave me "who approved this?" vibes

Because the riffs are literally like shit I would come up with jamming to a youtube Metal Drum Backing Track™ and the vocals sound like phil is literally ad libbing mnemonic devices to figure out a melody or rhythm.

This is shockingly shitty, especially for such big famous musicians


It’s like offensively bad to me, like you dudes can’t be serious with this shit lol
 
It’s like offensively bad to me, like you dudes can’t be serious with this shit lol

I've never been a huge fan but I remember down having like creative, slinky, groovy stoner riffs

Not like fischer price My First Drop D Riff™ shit like this

And the vocals are horrendous - I thought it was a joke at first but no he sings like that all the way thru
 
Fuk me!
I used to really dig these guys.
If Phil growling over drop C quarter notes for 5 minutes is all they got left at this point, then fuk that, I'm out!
What a fukking let down.
 
In my opinion, it wasn't great but also not horrible. A little overproduced by previous Down albums maybe? Kind of lost that live in the room vibe, but I am not a Down historian.

Was going to go to the Helmet Down show tonight. Ended up at a new to me amp techs place longer than expected so decided not to go. Wish I would have gone.
 
Always really liked this band...But this sounds a bit "stock" and generally uninspired.
 
I've never been a huge fan but I remember down having like creative, slinky, groovy stoner riffs

Not like fischer price My First Drop D Riff™ shit like this

And the vocals are horrendous - I thought it was a joke at first but no he sings like that all the way thru


super behind the beat groovy greasy riffs with "live" sounding production they had. Maybe they are just 60, tired and out of riffs, it sure as hell sounds like it. I cant imagine the rest of the album being this bad, but i guess we'll see


 
After about a minute I had to listen to the new COC album to clear this shit out of my ears. Talking of, going off the last COC album's kick ass riffs I can pretty much eliminate Pepper as the source of the suck in this bullshit.

Maybe it's just the low hanging fruit, but Imma call out Phil on that shit. Pepper's a badass guitarist, not a turd polisher.
 
After about a minute I had to listen to the new COC album to clear this shit out of my ears. Talking of, going off the last COC album's kick ass riffs I can pretty much eliminate Pepper as the source of the suck in this bullshit.

Maybe it's just the low hanging fruit, but Imma call out Phil on that shit. Pepper's a badass guitarist, not a turd polisher.
Dude. I dunno. I haven't dug anything COC since America Volume Dealer.
It's like they forgot how to sing with any sort of melody since Arms of God.
This last effort has some groovy riffs... all wasted on laziest vocal efforts.
Perhaps they burnt up the brain cells capable of making a real tune long ago.

And yeah, this "Down" tune is pure crap. Lacks any energy or effort.
 
Dude. I dunno. I haven't dug anything COC since America Volume Dealer.
It's like they forgot how to sing with any sort of melody since Arms of God.
This last effort has some groovy riffs... all wasted on laziest vocal efforts.
Perhaps they burnt up the brain cells capable of making a real tune long ago.

And yeah, this "Down" tune is pure crap. Lacks any energy or effort.

I can see the issue with the vocals, but I was more talking about the guitar work. Most vocalists lose it long before guitar and bass players.

Personally I dig the new album, but it's definitely different. Otoh I remember being shocked when Blind came out. They had totally changed their sound, and they settled into the groovy southern metal thing for a long time that most people know them for. Then they did the OG line up album a ways back, then back to the more groove based southern metal again. Now this. I'm used to COC changing their shit by now, and usually tend to dig what they put out.
 
I'm usually not as negative as folks on here, but this was pretty disappointing. Especially after that Dr John cover they did...


But also, how the fuck do you top NOLA? For me, thats one of the best heavy metal albums of all time and everything they've done since then has been a disappointment....so maybe this one is just fine?
 
The first two albums are fuckin’ fire, the 3rd album is the one I would have been happy if they said “Let’s ride out our career right here in this vein”, but I’d imagine there are very few guys but themselves who tell anyone in that band these days “Hey, that riff sucks, dude” and Phil probably hasn’t had anyone ask him to re-write something since ‘95.

I think a lot of times these guys get so stuck in the grind that they’re rarely truly inspired to write and it becomes a ‘well this is what you do, collect riffs and make them into songs” thing rather than a “Holy shit, I got this riff and we gotta write a song around it!” kinda thing.
 
They apparently need to smoke more weed. Or maybe less? :confused: Dudes are old(er), comfortable, and lost that edge we all came to know and love. Not particularly loving the new C.O.C. either.
 
I like a simple drop D riff as much as the next guy (at least it’s easy enough for a hack like me to play along with) but agree it doesn’t have the usual “Down vibe” - the riff could have used a little extra zing and swing. The recorded version’s vocals are pretty hard going
 

Similar threads

E
Replies
6
Views
435
griff10672
griff10672
Shreddy Mercury
Replies
3
Views
337
ChurchHill
ChurchHill
cobrahead1030
Replies
5
Views
362
Mike Oxhuge
Mike Oxhuge
Back
Top