NGD: 1978 Gibson RD Standard

Blitzie

This thing has a pretty interesting story.

I went to NYC to see a show with my soon-to-be-fiance, her brother and his wife. We were looking for things to do and he mentioned that Rudy's Music is a great place so we decided to stop by.

We were kicking around the store and I saw this beautiful thing sitting on the wall. I had seen them many times in Fluffs (Ryan Bruce) YouTube demos but I had never seen one in real life. I figured I would give 'er a run so I could say that I played one.

Little did I know, I was about to play one of the best guitars I've ever picked up. This thing is AMAZING. It resonates like no one guitar, it plays effortlessly. The neck feels worn and loved. And it's clean as can be. A few scratches here and there and just a touch of buckle rash.

But they were asking a little too much for it and I had to walk away. Damn near broke my heart.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. I called them and tried to make a deal. Much to my surprise, they went for it and they shipped it next day air to me. And here she is! I am a proud owner of vintage Gibson! I don't know what pickups are in it but I assume they're original. I will give them a test run tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I don't own a camera.

rl5ybhS.jpg

LK1tEKV.jpg

Et4W6eW.jpg

GorYppp.jpg

wO6KyGr.jpg

7OFbiaL.jpg

ZpjeEmK.jpg

Thanks everyone! The guitar is incredible. I've been playing it all day. Finally plugged it in and I'm not totally over the mood with the pickups but they're good enough that I don't want to rip them out.

That purple lined case though!

That is sweet! I've always dug the RD's, especially that natural color. I played one of the reissue ones at GC last year, and it was a total piece of shit. One of the worst guitars I have ever played. It felt like a toy. I've played around with First Act guitars at a wal-mart that felt better.

The old ones are great though. I'd love to have one. HNGD!

Nice guitar !!!
My brother has an RD artist that was my Dad's .
Lot of memories with that guitar !
Sweet score !!
My Dad liked it because it was similar to a firebird and he was a huge Johnny winter fan !

CaseyCor":3mypung2 said:
That is sweet! I've always dug the RD's, especially that natural color. I played one of the reissue ones at GC last year, and it was a total piece of shit. One of the worst guitars I have ever played. It felt like a toy. I've played around with First Act guitars at a wal-mart that felt better.

The old ones are great though. I'd love to have one. HNGD!

Thanks man! I haven't played one before but I don't need to play another one ever again!

So when a Les Paul and Firebird have sex... :LOL: :LOL:

Sometimes you find one that's a keeper for life. If you're really lucky, you find a few. Sounds like you found one of yours. Congrats!

Congrats! I've had a -77 Standard for close to 15 years and will never sell. Have spent quite a lot on repairs on it, but it's been worth every penny. Played all and owned a few of the re-issues, none comes close. Shouldn't be called RD's to begin with.

Jens RKLR":2vai205n said:
Congrats! I've had a -77 Standard for close to 15 years and will never sell. Have spent quite a lot on repairs on it, but it's been worth every penny. Played all and owned a few of the re-issues, none comes close. Shouldn't be called RD's to begin with.

That's awesome man, thanks for the love. I think seeing how rare these are, we should definitely be hanging on to them for life.

Back