NGD!! Finally a 24fret strat with a Floyd

I just dont understand why not go hardtail in that situation if you are just locking down? Never saw the baby floyd. But nice looking guitars!
I had other bridges, gotoh 510, fixed bridges etc.. never gel w/any of them. My first guitar had a floyd and i guess that's really what i'm used to.

I had other bridges, gotoh 510, fixed bridges etc.. never gel w/any of them. My first guitar had a floyd and i guess that's really what i'm used to.
So it's more a feel thing as far as muting? I get that. Honestly, I played a long time and hated Floyds and was a 100% fixed bridge guy. I decided I was going to take the time to really learn the Floyds and I love them now..but if I were to lock one down I would probably go back to the fixed bridge.

So it's more a feel thing as far as muting? I get that. Honestly, I played a long time and hated Floyds and was a 100% fixed bridge guy. I decided I was going to take the time to really learn the Floyds and I love them now..but if I were to lock one down I would probably go back to the fixed bridge.
Its a look/feel thing.. A guitar w/o a floyd just looks off to me. I actually had a pro guitar tech install big brass blocks/5 springs/ ESP arming adjusters on all my guitars that had floyds w/locking nut/fine tuners. All my floyds are essentially like a fixed bridge.. doesn't move.

Tell me the benifits Dan I dont understand

As long as you know how to cut and set up a nut, it will stay in tune just as well as a standard Floyd.

Plus, you can actually re-tune it on the fly!

Setting up a locking nut guitar annoys the crap out of me. So the benefits outweigh any downsides in my opinion.

I'll do some research on the Baby Floyd. I just never knew about it. All my guitars have locking Floyd Rose except my Les Paul of course so I'm definitely a fan. That Koa looks like perfection to me. Cheers man.
If you like floyd but wished it didnt have a locking nut, so you can do drop d than the blocked baby floyd is great. Excellent tuning stability and still has the feel and look of a floyd. i never understood why a locking nut is needed when they have locking tuners.

The Charvel Guthrie Govan Model I had has the same Floyd. (No fine tuners/no locking nut). I loved it and had one put on a Custom Scala strat that I still have. Stays in tune very well, especially with locking tuners and a well lubed nut. Here's the thing I noticed the most about the 'Baby Floyd'. The saddle blocks sit flush on the plate underneath, which gives it a lower profile and full contact of the saddle block to the bridge plate. If you look at the saddle blocks on a Floyd with fine tuners, the end of the block where the locking screws enter is off the deck a bit. A small difference but the entire saddle block is in contact with the trem plate on a baby Floyd. This lower profile also feels a little different(in a good way) under the palm of your picking hand. Cool choice of trem for sure!!!

Last edited:
Baby Floyd? I think it’s called the ‘Original’ as the first version that came out had no fine tuners, like yours.
Congrats on the guitar…looks great!

Back