Now this is one big joke. Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists

Lists suck in general :thumbsdown:

Greatest guitarists/bands/songs/albums/blah blah blah are all completely subjective. I'll rarely dignify an article like that with a look as I couldn't care less what some bag-o-douche at Rolling Stone (or any other "expert") has to say about the sublect. I remember Rolling Stone comparing Cobain to Lennon after he offed himself... :hys:

JTyson":2ji5bt84 said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Kurt Cobain is #12, and Brian May is #39
case closed

Kurt Cobain doesn't even belong on the list. Anyone who can't even tune the guitar properly, should be immediately disallowed from the list. :gethim:

mboogman":m3qepsy0 said:
JTyson":m3qepsy0 said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Kurt Cobain is #12, and Brian May is #39
case closed

Kurt Cobain doesn't even belong on the list. Anyone who can't even tune the guitar properly, should be immediately disallowed from the list. :gethim:
There goes Hendrix ;)

After reading everyones comments on the list........

I am not even going to look at it and disgust myself. :LOL: :LOL:

Where is that "Face Palm" Smiley when it is REALLY NEEDED!! :doh:

amiller":3prrij54 said:
Random Hero":3prrij54 said:
amiller":3prrij54 said:
Random Hero":3prrij54 said:
... Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

Yeah, but, some on the list aren't even thought of as guitarists. Kurt Cobain may have been a lot of things but guitarist...NO! If the Rolling Stone is going to have a list with the word "guitarists" in the title then the members on that list should be guitarists.

The guy plays guitar on stage and on record in a hugely influential and popular band for years and he's not a guitarist? Ok.... I've truly heard it all. The funny thing is, I understand what you're trying to say here but I just think it's so wide of the mark.

OK, then by your logic Kurt Cobain could have held a pie pan on stage and banged on it thereby making him one of the top 100 drummers of all time...yeah, right. :LOL: :LOL: I get that he may have been "hugely influential," but just because you put a guitar around your neck and bang out some chords doesn't make you a guitarist let alone in the top 100.

Well, no.

Randy Van Sykes":3i09tzc2 said:
Every time Rolling Stone does this, we complain...I think it's just to get people riled up. :LOL: :LOL:

I think this is the same list that someone from the forum stumbles onto every few months because they didn't see it last year. :doh:

yes its sad, and yes lists do suck in general, I was listening to Preston and Steve on 93.3 WMMR a year or two ago and the did the top 20 best guitar riffs of all time, you want a funny list that was it. Smoke on the Water was #1, and Pearl Jam had like 3 spots. But really what we are doing is empowering the list by sitting here bitching about it. at least Im at work and getting paid to haha. ps Kurt Cobain is a guitarist! and a reason for a lot of guys to pick up a guitar in first place so he's not Vai or Satch etc but he's still a guitarist. don't be a hater just because hes not a soloing machine, I understand where you are coming from but IMO its a little one sided. To me it would be like saying Jared Leto isn't a musician he's an actor

Random Hero":3mi4e4j9 said:
Why is #1 a joke? Hendrix is awesome. Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

They aren't, but it's still bullshit.

Jack White, Kurt Cobain and Kirk Hammett all in the top 20? Fucking please.

Lead_sound said:
This is better :rock:
GUITAR WORLD's 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists Of All Time - Jan. 23, 2004

Nigel Tufnel? pffft :LOL: :LOL: Actually though that's a list that looks like it's written by a man who's head's not up his arse.

Random Hero":3bofqnve said:
danyeo":3bofqnve said:
Random Hero":3bofqnve said:
Why is #1 a joke? Hendrix is awesome. Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

Look at the rest of the list, it's a complete joke. Kirk Hammet #11, and where's David Gilmour.

I didn't say I agreed personally with the list, my points were merely that a) Hendrix is/was/will always be awesome and b) It isn't about technique. I agree that Gilmour should be higher up on the list and Hammett isn't the 11th best by any stretch or under any criteria but I'm not about to get worked up about it.

I agree with this approach to looking at the list... I think the way this list was devised was not just technical wizardry on the ax, but the impact the guitarist had on the music scene and the world in general. I always look at this list as "alright, what happened with this guitarist when they came on the scene??" and sure enough, it was something pretty big. Cobain and Nirvana ERASED a decade's worth of garbage, shit hairbands and neon-clad bozos... Joan Jett? Give me the name of another chick who rocked as hard - and if you say Courtney Love, you're basically going BACK to Joan Jett, as these are all iterations of the original. Gilmour? He doesn't stand out as an incredible player as much as Pink Floyd stands out as an incredible, progessive, slightly psychadelic musical movement. He alone, is not what I call an impact, whereas Pink Floyd as a whole, most definitely. Chuck Berry? Hell yeah, that's angry rock'n'roll's roots RIGHT there!! Keef Richard and a host of rock'n'roll royalty STEMMED from Chuck Berry. And Hendrix?? Damn straight, that guy ripped music a new asshole when he landed in the UK and blew the likes of Beck, Clapton and an entire establishment's worth of virtuosic pedigree off the stage with this style, ingenius approach, and balls-out playing...

It's not a list about technical proficiency as much as it is a list of guitarist impact and how they changed the face of music.

My 2 cents...
V.

amiller":uk0ha633 said:
Random Hero":uk0ha633 said:
amiller":uk0ha633 said:
Random Hero":uk0ha633 said:
... Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

Yeah, but, some on the list aren't even thought of as guitarists. Kurt Cobain may have been a lot of things but guitarist...NO! If the Rolling Stone is going to have a list with the word "guitarists" in the title then the members on that list should be guitarists.

The guy plays guitar on stage and on record in a hugely influential and popular band for years and he's not a guitarist? Ok.... I've truly heard it all. The funny thing is, I understand what you're trying to say here but I just think it's so wide of the mark.

OK, then by your logic Kurt Cobain could have held a pie pan on stage and banged on it thereby making him one of the top 100 drummers of all time...yeah, right. :LOL: :LOL: I get that he may have been "hugely influential," but just because you put a guitar around your neck and bang out some chords doesn't make you a guitarist let alone in the top 100.

I'm with amiller on this one

having a guitar does make you a guitarrist, but Curt Cobain isn't recognised as a guitarrist, he's recognised as a singer, he was alot of things, but a good guitarrist, no.

Plus it just goes to show how fucking 'hip' and basicly pretentious Rolling Stone are by rating him so highly. I hate hipsters.

Ventura":zc8or1d5 said:
Random Hero":zc8or1d5 said:
danyeo":zc8or1d5 said:
Random Hero":zc8or1d5 said:

Look at the rest of the list, it's a complete joke. Kirk Hammet #11, and where's David Gilmour.

I didn't say I agreed personally with the list, my points were merely that a) Hendrix is/was/will always be awesome and b) It isn't about technique. I agree that Gilmour should be higher up on the list and Hammett isn't the 11th best by any stretch or under any criteria but I'm not about to get worked up about it.

I agree with this approach to looking at the list... I think the way this list was devised was not just technical wizardry on the ax, but the impact the guitarist had on the music scene and the world in general. I always look at this list as "alright, what happened with this guitarist when they came on the scene??" and sure enough, it was something pretty big. Cobain and Nirvana ERASED a decade's worth of garbage, shit hairbands and neon-clad bozos... Joan Jett? Give me the name of another chick who rocked as hard - and if you say Courtney Love, you're basically going BACK to Joan Jett, as these are all iterations of the original. Gilmour? He doesn't stand out as an incredible player as much as Pink Floyd stands out as an incredible, progessive, slightly psychadelic musical movement. He alone, is not what I can an impact, whereas Pink Floyd as a whole, most definitely. Chuck Berry? Hell yeah, that's angry rock'n'roll's roots RIGHT there!! Keef Richard and a host of rock'n'roll royalty STEMMED from Chuck Berry. And Hendrix?? Damn straight, that guy ripped music a new asshole when he landed in the UK and blew the likes of Beck, Clapton and an entire establishment's worth of virtuosic pedigree off the stage with this style, ingenius approach, and balls-out playing...

It's not a list about technical proficiency as much as it is a list of guitarist impact and how they changed the face of music.

My 2 cents...
V.

Fair point.

However.. The White stripes IMO haven't done anything to help music evolve or progress, and James Hetfield wrote all the riffs for Metallica, plus Kurt Cobain was a massive musical force, yeah, but what about Chris Novoselic and Dave Grohl? Stuff KC in RHCP and they'd still be RHCP.

EVH gets #70 and there isn't a single modern guitarrist that isn't influenced by him directly or through other guitarrists, FACT.

Tawlks":1q56iygx said:
amiller":1q56iygx said:
Random Hero":1q56iygx said:
amiller":1q56iygx said:
Random Hero":1q56iygx said:

I'm with amiller on this one

having a guitar does make you a guitarrist, but Curt Cobain isn't recognised as a guitarrist, he's recognised as a singer, he was alot of things, but a good guitarrist, no.

Plus it just goes to show how fucking 'hip' and basicly pretentious Rolling Stone are by rating him so highly. I hate hipsters.

BUT!!!! The 4 chords that are the beginning to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" changed music for an entire generation... Like it or not, those 4 chords are recognized WORLDWIDE!!

Peace,
V.

Back