Now this is one big joke. Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists

Tawlks":3nzp8bfz said:
Lead_sound":3nzp8bfz said:
This is better :rock:
GUITAR WORLD's 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists Of All Time - Jan. 23, 2004

Guitar World 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists Of All Time:
01. Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH)
02. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (METALLICA)
03. Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC)
04. Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)
05. Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)
06. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
07. Dimebag Darrell (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN)
08. Zakk Wylde (OZZY OSBOURNE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)
09. Adam Jones (TOOL)
10. Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman (SLAYER)
11. Dave Murray & Adrian Smith (IRON MAIDEN)
12. Jimi Hendrix
13. Glen Tipton & K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST)
14. Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS)
15. Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)
16. Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)
17. Yngwie Malmsteen
18. Joe Perry & Brad Whitford (AEROSMITH)
19. Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman (MEGADETH)
20. Chuck Schuldiner (DEATH)
21. Brian May (QUEEN)
22. Michael Schenker (MSG, UFO)
23. Nigel Tufnel (SPINAL TAP)
24. Jeff Beck
25. Tom Morello (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE)
26. Head & Munky (KORN)
27. John Petrucci (DREAM THEATER)
28. Kim Thayil (SOUNDGARDEN)
29. Vivian Campbell (DEF LEPPARD)
30. Daron Malakian (SYSTEM OF A DOWN)
31. Scott Ian (ANTHRAX)
32. Tom G. Warrior (CELTIC FROST)
33. Chris Degarmo & Michael Wilton (QUEENSRŸCHE)
34. C.C. Deville
35. Marten Hagström & Fredrik Thorndendal (MESHUGGAH)
36. Alex Lifeson (RUSH)
37. Paul Gilbert (MR. BIG, RACER X)
38. Jerry Cantrell (ALICE IN CHAINS)
39. Mantas (VENOM)
40. Jason Becker (DAVE LEE ROTH)
41. Phil Collen & Steve Clarke (DEF LEPPARD)
42. Mikael Åkerfeldt & Peter Lindgren (OPETH)
43. Fast Eddie Clarke (MOTÖRHEAD)
44. Nuno Bettencourt (EXTREME)
45. Warren DeMartini (RATT)
46. Mick Mars (MÖTLEY CRÜE)
47. George Lynch (DOKKEN)
48. Ted Nugent
49. Jake E. Lee (OZZY OSBOURNE, BADLANDS)
50. Rudolf Schenker & Uli John Roth (SCORPIONS)
51. Oystein "Euronymous" Aarseth (MAYHEM)
52. Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson (THIN LIZZY)
53. Steve Vai (DAVE LEE ROTH)
54. Reb Beach (WINGER, DOKKEN)
55. Trey Azagthoth (MORBID ANGEL)
56. John Sykes (THIN LIZZY, BLUE MURDER)
57. Hank Shermann & Michael Denner (MERCYFUL FATE)
58. Richie Sambora (BON JOVI)
59. Jon Donais & Matt Backhand (SHADOWS FALL)
60. Stephen Carpenter (DEFTONES)
61. Alex Skolnick & Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT)
62. Brian Tatler (DIAMOND HEAD)
63. John Christ (DANZIG)
64. Scott "Wino" Weinrich (THE OBSESSED)
65. Pepper Keenan & Woody Weatherman (C.O.C.)
66. Tommy Victor (PRONG)
67. Leslie West (MOUNTAIN)
68. Vernon Reid (LIVING COLOUR)
69. Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce (ALICE COOPER)
70. Bjorn Gelotte & Jesper Stromblad (IN FLAMES)
71. Jim Matheos (FATES WARNING)
72. Gary Holt & Rick Hunolt (EXODUS)
73. Donald Buck Dharma Roeser (BLUE ÖYSTER CULT)
74. Michael Amott (ARCH ENEMY)
75. Robert Fripp (KING CRIMSON)
76. Andre Olbrich (BLIND GUARDIAN)
77. Joe Satriani
78. Frank Hannon & Tommy Skeoch (TESLA)
79. Ty Tabor (KING'S X)
80. Mark Morton & Will Adler (LAMB OF GOD)
81. Dino Cazares (FEAR FACTORY)
82. Pete Townshend (THE WHO)
83. Jon Schaffer (ICED EARTH)
84. Timo Tolkki (STRATOVARIUS)
85. Neil Young
86. Abbath Doom Occulta (IMMORTAL)
87. Kai Hansen (GAMMA RAY)
88. Uffe Cederlund & Alex Hellid (ENTOMBED)
89. Leigh Stephens (BLUE CHEER)
90. Jim Martin (FAITH NO MORE)
91. Michael Romeo (SYMPHONY X)
92. Bill Steer (CARCASS)
93. Piggy (VOIVOD)
94. Tony Bourge (BUDGIE)
95. Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN)
96. Alexi Laiho (CHILDREN OF BODOM)
97. Akira Takasaki (LOUDNESS)
98. Michael Angelo
99. John Kay & Michael Monarh (STEPPENWOLF)
100. Nick Bowcott (GRIM REAPER)

Nigel Tufnel? pffft :LOL: :LOL: Actually though that's a list that looks like it's written by a man who's head's not up his arse.

This list sucks too, "Metal Guitarist"???? how many listed do not play metal? Mark Morton and Will Adler not on the list? Mick Thompson and Jim Root not on the list, etc? Its all opinion anyway we each have our own "lists" in our heads too. My #1 is Petrucci but thats just me

Ventura":2ne6cfzh said:
Tawlks":2ne6cfzh said:
amiller":2ne6cfzh said:
Random Hero":2ne6cfzh said:
amiller":2ne6cfzh said:
Random Hero":2ne6cfzh said:
... Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

Yeah, but, some on the list aren't even thought of as guitarists. Kurt Cobain may have been a lot of things but guitarist...NO! If the Rolling Stone is going to have a list with the word "guitarists" in the title then the members on that list should be guitarists.

The guy plays guitar on stage and on record in a hugely influential and popular band for years and he's not a guitarist? Ok.... I've truly heard it all. The funny thing is, I understand what you're trying to say here but I just think it's so wide of the mark.

OK, then by your logic Kurt Cobain could have held a pie pan on stage and banged on it thereby making him one of the top 100 drummers of all time...yeah, right. :LOL: :LOL: I get that he may have been "hugely influential," but just because you put a guitar around your neck and bang out some chords doesn't make you a guitarist let alone in the top 100.

I'm with amiller on this one

having a guitar does make you a guitarrist, but Curt Cobain isn't recognised as a guitarrist, he's recognised as a singer, he was alot of things, but a good guitarrist, no.

Plus it just goes to show how fucking 'hip' and basicly pretentious Rolling Stone are by rating him so highly. I hate hipsters.

BUT!!!! The 4 chords that are the beginning to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" changed music for an entire generation... Like it or not, those 4 chords are recognized WORLDWIDE!!

Peace,
V.

Hmm, yeah. thats a fair point.

and I hate to say it. probably blasphemy.. but Kurt Cobain would NOT be so high on the list if he were alive, sorry.. but RS are just like that. :thumbsdown:

Point taken, Petrucci's a virtuoso - but how many people, generations of people, know the name? One could say the same about McLaughlin, but he transcended a multiple number of genres, and killed it in every one of 'em. So the 'masses' per se, are likely to know the name McLaughlin, more than Petrucci based solely on the impact, influence, and spread of his talent.

I'm not saying I agree with the list, but I do understand how this list was put together. As a die-hard Randy Rhoads fan, it sucks to see his name so behind, but really - was he popular? Not really, he was the sound behind Ozzy's 2 most popular albums and what he did was incredible. But unless you dug metal at the time, you likely wouldn't know the name.

V.

Ventura":ml0b7o3u said:
Tawlks":ml0b7o3u said:
amiller":ml0b7o3u said:
Random Hero":ml0b7o3u said:
amiller":ml0b7o3u said:
Random Hero":ml0b7o3u said:
... Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

Yeah, but, some on the list aren't even thought of as guitarists. Kurt Cobain may have been a lot of things but guitarist...NO! If the Rolling Stone is going to have a list with the word "guitarists" in the title then the members on that list should be guitarists.

The guy plays guitar on stage and on record in a hugely influential and popular band for years and he's not a guitarist? Ok.... I've truly heard it all. The funny thing is, I understand what you're trying to say here but I just think it's so wide of the mark.

OK, then by your logic Kurt Cobain could have held a pie pan on stage and banged on it thereby making him one of the top 100 drummers of all time...yeah, right. :LOL: :LOL: I get that he may have been "hugely influential," but just because you put a guitar around your neck and bang out some chords doesn't make you a guitarist let alone in the top 100.

I'm with amiller on this one

having a guitar does make you a guitarrist, but Curt Cobain isn't recognised as a guitarrist, he's recognised as a singer, he was alot of things, but a good guitarrist, no.

Plus it just goes to show how fucking 'hip' and basicly pretentious Rolling Stone are by rating him so highly. I hate hipsters.

BUT!!!! The 4 chords that are the beginning to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" changed music for an entire generation... Like it or not, those 4 chords are recognized WORLDWIDE!!

Peace,
V.

You mean those same 4 chords that they stole from "More Than A Feelin'"?

I agree with that if we are looking purely at the popularity of the name. but if thats the case EVH would be higher on the list because even my mom knows who he is and the only music she listens to is Helen Reddy lol. If your doing a top 100 guitarist, musicians that have "changed the way the guitar is played" should be listed. Petrucci, Tremonti, Wylde, Malmstein, Satriani, Stump, Vai, Dimebag, etc? Thats all I'm saying, but who am I right? lol
:doh:

Lists are saying my dad can beat up your dad.....

What's the point. EVH definitely changed the game. You can't go to a football game and not hear May or Rhodes... As a band contributor Cobain is great, as a guitarist..... get out of here. The list is not for songwriters or singers that can hold and strum a guitar. or maybe it is.....

I really don't care about the opinions of the douche bag types that read RS to be trendy and get clothing advice as Satriani wisely pointed out.

The problem with this s#it is no one is really stating the full criteria these lists are based on.. Fame, popularity amongst women over 30, units sold, influence on society, skill set, most coke whores banged in a single night, prettiest hair-do, SOMEthing we can agree on, and then tear each others throats out... :gethim: :powpow: :LOL: :LOL:

These lists exist just to make folks argue. I'm convinced of it.

Sheik_Yerbouti":2mg1ajli said:

Funny.. the first time I heard it, I thought "neat, a cover of BOC's Godzilla".

It's interesting to contemplate how / where Mr Cobain would be on these lists now if he were still alive.

danyeo":ktaqr70v said:
Randy Van Sykes":ktaqr70v said:
Every time Rolling Stone does this, we complain...I think it's just to get people riled up. :LOL: :LOL:

I think this is the same list that someone from the forum stumbles onto every few months because they didn't see it last year. :doh:

No Vai
No Lifeson
No Yngwie

Fanboi stuff :thumbsdown:

Vrad":3r6kuh1s said:
Vernon Reid beat out EVH!? How is that possible?!

Because the solo from Cult of Personality is as epic as Eruption, and goes further emotionally.

:D

lol

EVH and Vernon and the rest of these high masters are apples/oranges. Comparison is rather silly, and there need be no hierarchy of value.

They all kick ass. We need no better than/less than ego crap. However, it sells magazines, and gets people riled up online. ;)

Nigel":14qoxd3v said:
Vrad":14qoxd3v said:
Vernon Reid beat out EVH!? How is that possible?!

Because the solo from Cult of Personality is as epic as Eruption, and goes further emotionally.

:D

lol

EVH and Vernon and the rest of these high masters are apples/oranges. Comparison is rather silly, and there need be no hierarchy of value.

They all kick ass. We need no better than/less than ego crap. However, it sells magazines, and gets people riled up online. ;)

Yeah.. I hate it, but it works. :LOL: :LOL: The ULTIMATE TROLLING!

Tawlks":fq9ypzze said:
Random Hero":fq9ypzze said:
Why is #1 a joke? Hendrix is awesome. Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

They aren't, but it's still bullshit.

Jack White, Kurt Cobain and Kirk Hammett all in the top 20? Fucking please.

I`m all about the shred, but my guess is that they`ve randomly coughed up the 100 most influential guitar players?
There`s gotta be more people in the world that can play the intro to "Smells like teen spirit", than the solo of "Crazy train" :)

I`m not saying I agree, I just recognize that me and RS have different tastes.

First off, those lists are always boatloads of bullshit. They are always by significance placed on certain bands.

At least they put Richard Thompson in the top 20, I would put him in the top 5, but at least he's there.

ke2":23gulfzi said:
Tawlks":23gulfzi said:
Random Hero":23gulfzi said:
Why is #1 a joke? Hendrix is awesome. Rolling Stone isn't listing the 100 most technically proficient guitar players.

I`m all about the shred, but my guess is that they`ve randomly coughed up the 100 most influential guitar players?
There`s gotta be more people in the world that can play the intro to "Smells like teen spirit", than the solo of "Crazy train" :)

I don't think I follow what you're saying? Sorry.

I'm also all about the shred, but the only shredder I'd even consider putting in the top 10, or maybe top 20 is EVH. I'm talking about great, as in being great players and having great influence, EVH is only of the most influential players ever IMO. But I think to put Jack White in the top 20.. or top 100 even is a joke. I'm appauled that Vai and Andy Timmons and the likes aren't up there, they are both great guitarrists, I'm personally not a big Vai fan, they're btoh great composers and players and very influential.

as I mentioned above, Kurt Cobain isn't influential as a guitarrist, as a singer/songwriter, yeah, but if there were a fourth member of Nirvana that played guitar, they would still have the same influence.

Rolling Stone need to fire the Maroon that came up with that list immediately.

David Gilmour ? he lost the coin toss to Joan Jett looks like......

Atropos_Project":1l7ypjta said:
These lists exist just to make folks argue. I'm convinced of it.

Sheik_Yerbouti":1l7ypjta said:

Funny.. the first time I heard it, I thought "neat, a cover of BOC's Godzilla".

It's interesting to contemplate how / where Mr Cobain would be on these lists now if he were still alive.

Agreed on the dead/alive bit for sure... Would Hendrix be the enigma he is today if he were still alive? Or would he be a 'has been'..?? Same with Cobain, the emotional bang that carried his death through a generation or two wrought with self loathing and emo like weirdness is what got him to rock god status. Damn straight - Grohl and Novaselic were the talent, but KC was the front. I appreciated the post a few above stating the demographical analysis of what constitutes this lists members via vote or veto. It's all about the marketing - 100% bang on. Would Jimi be #1 if he was still alive? Hmmmmm... Better yet, if he's No.1 in this recent issue, would that not make him the defacto No.1 for previous iterations of this same list? The only way he'd not be No.1 is if there was a No.1 in front of him that somehow became a shit guitarist between votes. But seeing as Jimi's No.1 today, in logical perpetuity, it means he ought to have been No.1 for previous votes as well, or at least near the top with the other guitarists now out of the picture entirely.

Whatever. I'm not on that list, so I know it's a messed up vote... :hys:

V.

Tawlks":1wwqjztk said:
ke2":1wwqjztk said:
Tawlks":1wwqjztk said:
Random Hero":1wwqjztk said:

I don't think I follow what you're saying? Sorry.

I'm also all about the shred, but the only shredder I'd even consider putting in the top 10, or maybe top 20 is EVH. I'm talking about great, as in being great players and having great influence, EVH is only of the most influential players ever IMO. But I think to put Jack White in the top 20.. or top 100 even is a joke. I'm appauled that Vai and Andy Timmons and the likes aren't up there, they are both great guitarrists, I'm personally not a big Vai fan, they're btoh great composers and players and very influential.

as I mentioned above, Kurt Cobain isn't influential as a guitarrist, as a singer/songwriter, yeah, but if there were a fourth member of Nirvana that played guitar, they would still have the same influence.

Possibly because you interpret the list and what I said with your mindset about what one should be looking for in a guitar player.

Show 100.000 people a picture of Cobain and one of Randy.
Even if they don`t remember his name, the majority will recognize Cobain.
He reached a bigger audience, hence more influential. Not on you or me, but on the majority.

I have non-guitar playing friends who consider Hammett an amazing player.

Because of exposure.

Magazines like RS are popular culture mags. They cater to the masses :)

Back