Once again.... WHATS COOKING?!

GIMME ALL O DAT! That seared tuna steak looks delicious, and anybody gots a problem with slow cooked pork shoulder, or breaded chops, then they got a prollem with me and I suggest they let that marinate!

/ Letterkenny

Weekend. Bagels:
bagels.jpg

Pizza:
pepza.jpg

This morning was butter biscuits for breakfast, but those got scarfed and wrapped for work mates pre photo op. Wanted to keep them as warm as possible for the trip to work.

this was some smoked brisket from a week or so ago, was fantastic

Looks good. Of all the things, I have not gotten into smoking yet. I've tossed around the idea of a Green Egg. My neighbor got a Kamado Joe and likes it just as much. BBQ is one of those things that I can't really do very often, and there are a few very good places around here that can check off that box when the craving strikes.

Looks good. Of all the things, I have not gotten into smoking yet. I've tossed around the idea of a Green Egg. My neighbor got a Kamado Joe and likes it just as much. BBQ is one of those things that I can't really do very often, and there are a few very good places around here that can check off that box when the craving strikes.
I have a digital electric smoker to fill the gap. I have two awesome grills (Weber / Napoleon) and would like to have a pellet smoker, but just don't smoke enough to make it worthwhile. The electric version works well for the 6-8 times a year I want to smoke something....

Go pellet. If you want great results, convenience, ease of use.

I used a wood burner smoker for years, I enjoyed it. However you have to babysit it during your cook.

My pellet grill/smoker, i can grill, sear, smoke, everything. Temp remains constant to what you set. Mine has bluetooth, and a app for temp probes, and timers. Totally next level, especially great if you're a busy guy, and can't baby sit your cook.

Go pellet. If you want great results, convenience, ease of use.

I used a wood burner smoker for years, I enjoyed it. However you have to babysit it during your cook.

My pellet grill/smoker, i can grill, sear, smoke, everything. Temp remains constant to what you set. Mine has bluetooth, and a app for temp probes, and timers. Totally next level, especially great if you're a busy guy, and can't baby sit your cook.
I own a Recteq pellet grill and for smoking it does a nice job but here are my thoughts on my Recteq

1. Searing is not possible in cold weather
2. Quality searing requires searing plates
3. Smoke results give the best smoke ring I have ever seen
4. Pellet grills are particular on the type of pellets you use for your cooking project.
Oak is great for high heat and searing (see #2 above)
Most fruit woods are good for smoking but the flavor is not exactly like stick burn smoke.
I always add a bit of mesquite pellets to my fruit wood to get better smoke flavor.
5. Overpriced for what it is, but all brands are over priced in my opinion
6. wifi is meh at best (new units come with an antenna and updated wifi card)
7. Lid is prone to rusting on the lips of the lid
8. Pain in the ass to change pellets for different BBQ situations

Would I drop another $800 on a Recteq, nope. In fact I am looking for another brand that does things a bit better with more features like easy clean out and changing of pellets.

I have a digital electric smoker to fill the gap. I have two awesome grills (Weber / Napoleon) and would like to have a pellet smoker, but just don't smoke enough to make it worthwhile. The electric version works well for the 6-8 times a year I want to smoke something....

I have “hot smoked” some things like salmon and cobia with pretty good success. We have a good place for woods up the road (pellets, chips, chunks) of stuff like apple, cherry, sassafras. My buddies that do the 12 hour get up at 4 am thing doesn’t sound like a bunch of fun to me.

I have “hot smoked” some things like salmon and cobia with pretty good success. We have a good place for woods up the road (pellets, chips, chunks) of stuff like apple, cherry, sassafras. My buddies that do the 12 hour get up at 4 am thing doesn’t sound like a bunch of fun to me.
I don't mind long smoking times. It usually coincides with a "pool day" or get-together anyway...

I own a Recteq pellet grill and for smoking it does a nice job but here are my thoughts on my Recteq

1. Searing is not possible in cold weather
2. Quality searing requires searing plates
3. Smoke results give the best smoke ring I have ever seen
4. Pellet grills are particular on the type of pellets you use for your cooking project.
Oak is great for high heat and searing (see #2 above)
Most fruit woods are good for smoking but the flavor is not exactly like stick burn smoke.
I always add a bit of mesquite pellets to my fruit wood to get better smoke flavor.
5. Overpriced for what it is, but all brands are over priced in my opinion
6. wifi is meh at best (new units come with an antenna and updated wifi card)
7. Lid is prone to rusting on the lips of the lid
8. Pain in the ass to change pellets for different BBQ situations

Would I drop another $800 on a Recteq, nope. In fact I am looking for another brand that does things a bit better with more features like easy clean out and changing of pellets.
Bummer. Yeah they are not all created equal for sure. My Bro-in-law has a traeger, and it will not sear for shit, does not get hot enough.

Mine is the Cuisinart woodcreek 4in1. I chose it because it goes to 500, and has cast iron grates. Many others did not have this. I paid over 600 for it but now you can get it for little under 500.

As for searing, I have not had any problem in cold weather. That being said it does not get super cold where I'm at. It comes with a ceramic searing plate, dont even bother with that.

Will also say don't even bother trying any steak less than 1 - 1.5 inch, you'll overcook it before you get your sear.

Bummer. Yeah they are not all created equal for sure. My Bro-in-law has a traeger, and it will not sear for shit, does not get hot enough.

Mine is the Cuisinart woodcreek 4in1. I chose it because it goes to 500, and has cast iron grates. Many others did not have this. I paid over 600 for it but now you can get it for little under 500.

As for searing, I have not had any problem in cold weather. That being said it does not get super cold where I'm at. It comes with a ceramic searing plate, dont even bother with that.

Will also say don't even bother trying any steak less than 1 - 1.5 inch, you'll overcook it before you get your sear.

Looks like at least the lid is double walled and that is how to retain heat in the chamber. Mine is a single 1/8" steel and loses heat due to the outside air temp absorbing it especially in < 50 degree temps.

Looks like at least the lid is double walled and that is how to retain heat in the chamber. Mine is a single 1/8" steel and loses heat due to the outside air temp absorbing it especially in < 50 degree temps.
Yes the lid is double walled.

I caught shit from pellet grill cork sniffers because I bought a Cuisinart, (citing they make blenders, and food processors). But I bought the thing because it was a superior unit, based on my inspections of several. I had several times the budget too.

I would love to get a smoker, but this year's budget is reserved for an outdoors wood burning pizza oven, if I manage to clear a space for it out back. Maybe I smoker next year or the year after.

I would love to get a smoker, but this year's budget is reserved for an outdoors wood burning pizza oven, if I manage to clear a space for it out back. Maybe I smoker next year or the year after.

I bet you could use the pizza oven as a smoker. Probably a pretty bad ass one. Maybe use one of those roasting rack drip pan sets.

I bet you could use the pizza oven as a smoker. Probably a pretty bad ass one. Maybe use one of those roasting rack drip pan sets.
Aren't most smokers low temp/long cookers? The pizza ovens I've been looking at are ridiculous high temps for flash-cooking pizza and pastries. We're talking 600 F and up for most of them. Though the wood burners that use pellets can be pulled back through carefully controlling the fuel.

Hmm. This may be worth looking into when the time arrives.

Aren't most smokers low temp/long cookers? The pizza ovens I've been looking at are ridiculous high temps for flash-cooking pizza and pastries. We're talking 600 F and up for most of them. Though the wood burners that use pellets can be pulled back through carefully controlling the fuel.

Hmm. This may be worth looking into when the time arrives.

Well yes, but if you put a few chunks of hickory in a pan, then charcoal on top. Let it burn down till its smoldering, no flame. That's your heat/smoke source. You'll have to experiment with the amount of fuel to use to keep you in the 225-275 range.

When you do pizza you'll have a super hot flame. That's the only difference.

Back