Question for twin jet owners

Ventura":ysjpwnek said:
emperor_black":ysjpwnek said:
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it!

My dilemma, a guy online selling his Rev blue for $1750 and a guy locally selling his Twin Jet for $1900. :confused: I guess I should really go with the twin jet huh?

Well, the only advice I can chime in here is, having owned both, the TJ was just the next evolutionary step in the Uberschall lineage... So, the Re.Blue was before it, and there must have been some reasons to "evolve" it into a TJ. Also depends on your wants and tastes. My Rev.Blue was basically a 1 channel, hi-gain amp (that being the 2nd channel)... I could slam FX into the first channel, and they sucked up just fine - but without FX, it really was, as someone put it before, a 1 trick pony. AND, since I buy "boutique" amps for their inherent tone, I'm not a HUGE fan of FX period. I tend to like 1 guitar, 1 cable, and the amp and cabinet if I can - maybe a little DD to thicken up my sound, but that's it. So the Rev.Blue kinda had this useless channel that was really only good for super cleans (which weren't as clean as my VH4S's channel 1), or an FX channel, and I'm not too into FX - I'm still a BOSS stompbox kinda guy, primitive really, but it works.

I've been playing my TJ a lot lately - and guess what channel I am on most of the time?? Channel 1. Why?? Cuz it's got serious territory on it... Clean to crunch to plexi. Nice.

V.
Awesome post! I do find I'm not using the depth knob on my Twin Jet as I'm not going for a very "deep" tone - and because I don't want to interfere with my bass player - but if anything I see this as an advantage over the Rev. Blue; the fact that I can turn the depth down to nothing, where I want it, makes the amp that much more versatile. I'm finding that, like my Ecstasy, the Twin Jet is extremely flexible where the older Uberschall isn't.

I too find myself on ch.1 a lot, if not most of the time. Before buying the amp, I figured I'd just kind of set it up as a clean channel and never use it except when I had to. How stupid that was! I'm really happy to have gone with the Twin Jet because put simply, it's capable of everything the old Uberschall put out and much more. Sure, they sound a little different and a few people may even prefer the older version's tone, but for me I have no regrets going with the Twin Jet!

And if this isn't enough, here's a setting on the TJ's channel 1 that to me, sold me and I play a LOT on... Bear in mind, playing an ESP NT-II with the coil tap in single coil mode, middle or top pup position:

Master Depth: Noon
Master Presence: Noon
MV: 9:30
V: 10:00
Presence: 11:30
Treble: 11:00
Middle: 4:30
Bass: 1:00
Gain: 2:00

Now this particular setting can blow some of jazziest, bluesiest, sexiest tones out of my ax yet to date... Could NOT be done on the Rev.Blue. Had I heard this sound only once when pondering the purchase, it would have sold me on the spot. Peace.

V.

Guys, I'm just about to dig in the new Twin Jet. (I'm still deciding between TJ / XTC). I was very curious about three, for me very important things.
First one is CH1 w say Clean channel mod and the FX loop.

I'm really in clean sounds, I play em very often, but I just love the OD tones of TJ. There were a lot of questions, how is it like. If so, I'd pick up the moded CH1. How is that one ? Some of You mentioned, moded CH1 is like regular clean channel with amazing sound, is that right ?
Another thing is, original CH1 has very wide range of sounds as mentioned, from amazing blues vibe to Marshall, to higain lead. I don't really want to loose this very flexible sound, ability. Will it loose it's wide dialing range of sounds, when I go for the ch1 clean mod ? I mean, if the ch1 will keep the same, but with higher ability to clean up easily ?

Btw, don't You guys have any sound bites of moded Ch1, or original TJ CH1 clean ? I'd appreciate it !

Second thing is FX loop.
I'm a huge fx freak, I love pedals and crazy sounds. I'm using / goin to use various stomps, mainly boutique pedals.
How is the FX loop on TJ ? I red, there are some serious problems about it, is that right ? I mean, few months ago, I quit from buying SLO, just because of the problem with FX loop. I've never heared about any loop issues on Uberschalls. Lot of people are using pedals in it. I would really appreciate Your help here, cause if loop really sucks, I got a problem.
Btw, is there a same problem on XTC ?

Third question is tubes.
What is in Your opinion the best way to go with the tubes on Twin Jet ?
I think, You can have EL34 or KT88s. Could You please sum up some very quick reviews on em.

I really appreciate Your help here, rock on !

emperor_black":1salf0dg said:
the beehive":1salf0dg said:
Btw, don't You guys have any sound bites of moded Ch1, or original TJ CH1 clean ? I'd appreciate it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUYMNRuGF4

Actually, this clip is better at showcasing the clean side of the Twin Jet. This is an un-modded TJ just FYI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMzkf0WB ... re=related

Alright, so to further address your questions and concerns - I'm a stompbox guy, not a MIDI MultiFX guy. I run 5 BOSS stomps with a BOSS V-Wah pedal, all cased in a BCB-60 BOSS floorcase. Might need to get a power conditioner as I'm loosing a bit of signal with all the stomps, but nothing too severe - the wah takes up the most... ANYWAY, the loop on the Uberschall is simple and works, at least in my opinion, just great. I plug in the send/return and dime the FX loop volume - done. Takes pedals like nobody's business. It's awesome!!

The one thing that MUST BE MADE CLEAR is that the Uberschall TJ is not an "out of the box instant tone" device. Sure, you can slap it into Channel 2 with the gain dimed and shit yer pants and melt skin, that's great - but there's SO MUCH more to this amp than the ultra high gain channel (but believe me, easy to kill WEEKS of time on that channel alone!!). So here, I'm a hi-gain kinda guy - got my brand new TJ and matching UberKab... Channel I immediately started horsing around on??? Channel 1. Things I've come to realize about Channel 1...?? It's AMAZING!! Just check the link above in my post - that's CLEAN, that's CRUNCH, that's BLUESY and JAZZY - all well before the rock'n'roll kicks in. This is a superb amp. Couple other things I've learned - the knobs (EQ) are counter intuitive - just because you want more treble, doesn't mean turn up the treble, it means turn down the middle and tweak the presence, who woulda thunk it? Then you want Plexi style - you'll notice the treble rolled right off makes the amp LOUD with the Middle EQ... Start rolling the treble EQ back into the mix, and the sound goes to HIWATT stage - and then, also, for reasons unbeknownst to me and everyone else, it turns the volume down. Beats the shit outta me :doh: but I love it. Sounds BRILLIANT man.

What I know of the XTC....???? Awesome amp. Probably one of the most versatile amps in the industry, along with the VH4 by Diezel, albeit the Diezel doesn't have independent power modes - very handy thing. What it doesn't have is the brutality of the hi-gain Uber. Sorry folks, it just doesn't. I bought the TJ because it offers enough versatility, but also offers an incredible melt-yer-face hi-gain zone that is just unlike anything else.

So, unmodded TJ - cleans, yes. Crunch, yes. Gain, don't even ask...!! Pedals and stomps, yes. Anymore questions??

Hope this helped,
V.

Ventura":5q1dwr9a said:
The one thing that MUST BE MADE CLEAR is that the Uberschall TJ is not an "out of the box instant tone" device. Sure, you can slap it into Channel 2 with the gain dimed and shit yer pants and melt skin, that's great - but there's SO MUCH more to this amp than the ultra high gain channel (but believe me, easy to kill WEEKS of time on that channel alone!!). So here, I'm a hi-gain kinda guy - got my brand new TJ and matching UberKab... Channel I immediately started horsing around on??? Channel 1. Things I've come to realize about Channel 1...?? It's AMAZING!! Just check the link above in my post - that's CLEAN, that's CRUNCH, that's BLUESY and JAZZY - all well before the rock'n'roll kicks in. This is a superb amp. Couple other things I've learned - the knobs (EQ) are counter intuitive - just because you want more treble, doesn't mean turn up the treble, it means turn down the middle and tweak the presence, who woulda thunk it? Then you want Plexi style - you'll notice the treble rolled right off makes the amp LOUD with the Middle EQ... Start rolling the treble EQ back into the mix, and the sound goes to HIWATT stage - and then, also, for reasons unbeknownst to me and everyone else, it turns the volume down. Beats the shit outta me :doh: but I love it. Sounds BRILLIANT man.

What I know of the XTC....???? Awesome amp. Probably one of the most versatile amps in the industry, along with the VH4 by Diezel, albeit the Diezel doesn't have independent power modes - very handy thing. What it doesn't have is the brutality of the hi-gain Uber. Sorry folks, it just doesn't. I bought the TJ because it offers enough versatility, but also offers an incredible melt-yer-face hi-gain zone that is just unlike anything else.
Great post! I mentioned it before somewhere else, but I'm also on channel 1 a LOT more than I thought I'd be. It gets you anywhere you want and could be an amp all by itself if not for channel 2 (which is also truly awesome).

The XTC can get pretty violent though! I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to bring it to a metal gig because it'll go there if I need it to; just pop in B1 and you're set. Your point stands though, as it can't touch the Uber's brutality. The difference in power section is really what does it because the XTC's preamp is not lacking in gain. I'm basically just saying that while it's no Uber, it's still capable of some of the finest metal sounds I've heard!

Regarding the Twin Jet Here is something I would like to know from the owners. Especially those of you who have experience with the XTC 101b and Classic.

I have already been told that with Channel 1 the TJ can get good blues, jazz, rock, 80s tones, etc... Volume knob gets you your cleans. I know channel 2 will get the drop tuning goodness and face smacking/melting sonic madness. But where does the singing lead tone come in, or does it? Boosting Channel 1? Setting Channel 2 up for it, but then what do you lose if anything on the drop tuning rhythms?

ttosh":apo88ob4 said:
Regarding the Twin Jet Here is something I would like to know from the owners. Especially those of you who have experience with the XTC 101b and Classic.

I have already been told that with Channel 1 the TJ can get good blues, jazz, rock, 80s tones, etc... Volume knob gets you your cleans. I know channel 2 will get the drop tuning goodness and face smacking/melting sonic madness. But where does the singing lead tone come in, or does it? Boosting Channel 1? Setting Channel 2 up for it, but then what do you lose if anything on the drop tuning rhythms?

Well, that's simple... It comes from Jesus, ttosh. It's heaven sent... :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously, an ya know I'm just tuggin' yer leg there...ahem... :2thumbsup: The lead tone I've been playing with has been a result of Channel 2 chuggah chuggah rhythm, then a fall back to Channel 1 higher gain for lead. Or conversely, set the loop up with a volume/OD, or conversely, set the loop up with a jumper. All do able. For me, mostly studio recording I have the flax to move parts of songs and cables if need be, in a live environment, I'd fall back on a tweaked Channel 1, hi-gain mode personally, or run it through a pedal.

Peace Good Sir,
V.

ttosh":2q9fcoq1 said:

The Twin Jet gets an awesome lead tone for sure! I just feel like - because of the inherent differences in power sections between them - it can't sing the way the 101b does, no matter the setting. Maybe someone can give me some settings to try? :thumbsup:

Ventura":gi8f0go9 said:
emperor_black":gi8f0go9 said:
the beehive":gi8f0go9 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUYMNRuGF4

Actually, this clip is better at showcasing the clean side of the Twin Jet. This is an un-modded TJ just FYI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMzkf0WB ... re=related

Alright, so to further address your questions and concerns - I'm a stompbox guy, not a MIDI MultiFX guy. I run 5 BOSS stomps with a BOSS V-Wah pedal, all cased in a BCB-60 BOSS floorcase. Might need to get a power conditioner as I'm loosing a bit of signal with all the stomps, but nothing too severe - the wah takes up the most... ANYWAY, the loop on the Uberschall is simple and works, at least in my opinion, just great. I plug in the send/return and dime the FX loop volume - done. Takes pedals like nobody's business. It's awesome!!

So, unmodded TJ - cleans, yes. Crunch, yes. Gain, don't even ask...!! Pedals and stomps, yes. Anymore questions??

Hope this helped,
V.

Hey Ventura, Thanks for your answers & in depth look, I really appreciate it man ! & thanks to others as well

Have to say, clean on unmoded CH1 sounds a bit dirty to me, but as said, it works pretty well with the overall characteristic of the amp as a whole piece. I'm just praying, the modded CH1 would be a little bit more cleaner :LOL: :LOL:

Ya, if I was in your shoes, I'd try to keep the Channel unmodded as the gain section on that channel is so beautiful - I would never want to scew it up. But there are some pedals out there too, that can clean up the sound while leaving the channel intact. Maybe I'm wrong - if it's just a taper on the Channel, that go for it - as it'll get to the same level of gain in just a more narrow adjustment. But if it takes ANY of the gain away...I'd be sad.

Let me know what you come up with. And oh, the XTC DOES do clean unbelievably well - just FYI... But the Uber is the schoolyard bully for sure :thumbsup:

V.

Back