Recto solo rev F the eptiome of recto tone?

Yes 100 percent . And generally I’m speaking of just plugging in . I obviously can get a good recto tone but not into them. . I don’t even own a recto
If by just plugging in you mean straight in, try one with a boost man, it’s anything but boring.
A boosted Recto is a greasy, growling, raging beast. And since you dig the high end aggression of Wizards and Herms, try diming the presence and set the treble to taste. You’ll get the tightest, most aggressive tones out of it like that.

If by just plugging in you mean straight in, try one with a boost man, it’s anything but boring.
A boosted Recto is a greasy, growling, raging beast. And since you dig the high end aggression of Wizards and Herms, try diming the presence and set the treble to taste. You’ll get the tightest, most aggressive tones out of it like that.
I will try again fr

I think guys that don’t love Recto’s just prefer amps that are tighter with sharper and faster attack to suit more technical or busier playing styles. On the other hand, one of my friend’s found my Herm’s boring/vanilla because he doesn’t need very tight or attack-y. His favorite amp is my Rev C and then iirc the Blueface. He said they’re more harmonically rich. He probably meant the throaty growl they get on long held powerchords. That's what the orange ch on early Rev Recto’s do that no other amps can in the same way. If that’s not something one appreciates then it’s probably not the amp for them. For me at least, getting the most inspiring sound on a simple ringing powerchord that growls or is in some way tonally interesting is where it starts and what I get inspired by most in a high gain sound. I find an amp boring if it lacks in that department and what I may call 2D rather than 3D

Last edited:
they’re definitely different enough to warrant owning both. There really isn’t much overlap between the two besides being able to coax different types of heavy tones out of them. I’ve owned 4 wizards, a few fryettes, and a rev f. I never felt let down in terms of tone and quality of a rev f as long as that’s a sound your ear likes. If you just don’t like the rectifier tones the f won’t change your mind.

Sam made a good point. Being a Wizard/Herm shredder guy a Recto may feel a little slow and gummy to you, even boosted. :dunno:
I’ve had them and like them for what they are , I friends rev g is the smoothest amp I’ve ever herd . It’s pretty sweet . I used to play my friends rev f a lot . He sold to a friend who don’t know shit about amps but keeps it out of nostalgia. I dud try to buy it .

I own a Wizard MTL MKII and I've had different Rectos including an early Rev D and 2 early Tremoverbs + tried some other Triple and Dual (later generation). I love the punch of the MTL and the 3D projection it has along with the rich harmonics. But it's hard to beat a good recto. Here are some clips I recorded yesterday - 1993 Tremoverb and my Wizard MTL MKII (gain at 4) testing my new Slamurai pedal.
https://hearthis.at/ultimate-metal-guitar-tones/tremo-new-slamurai/
1st part of the clip is the Tremo straight with the gain at about 1 o clock - then you can notice the pedal kicking in (full level / drive at 9 o clock)
https://hearthis.at/ultimate-metal-guitar-tones/tremo-new-slamurai-2/GVj/
And here I am running the pedal with some different settings and no drive
MTL clips here
https://hearthis.at/ultimate-metal-guitar-tones/slamurai-wizard-full-level-drive-9-mids-bass1/
https://hearthis.at/ultimate-metal-guitar-tones/slamurai-wizard-full-level-less-bass/
https://hearthis.at/ultimate-metal-guitar-tones/slamurai-wizard-full-level-more-mids/

If I could have either the Rev F Dual Rec or Wizard MC50 back...
I'd take the DR for nu metal riffs, Wiz for everything else.
Having both back, the Wiz would get 85% off the play time.

I didn't get into Recto's until about 5 years ago. I'm more of a Classic Rock player. One of my favorite tones is my Rev F on Vintage with the tube rectifiers and spongy on. I'm still waiting to check out Beyond Black's Rev C to see if it's as good as he claims. 😏
tmp.gif

If I could have either the Rev F Dual Rec or Wizard MC50 back...
I'd take the DR for nu metal riffs, Wiz for everything else.
Having both back, the Wiz would get 85% off the play time.
Modded my MC50 to have resonance and variable negative feedback with a wider range and it kills even more. It's THICK now as well as crystal clear.

Modded my MC50 to have resonance and variable negative feedback with a wider range and it kills even more. It's THICK now as well as crystal clear.
Yeah, that would've put it over the top. The only niggle I had with the MC50 was that it was kind of thin on lead stuff. Certainly not as singing as a Naylor or SLO. Otherwise, loved that amp. Those mods would've helped dial that in.
Wonder how the depth and nfb would help the MC50 stand up to my 4104.

Yeah, that would've put it over the top. The only niggle I had with the MC50 was that it was kind of thin on lead stuff. Certainly not as singing as a Naylor or SLO. Otherwise, loved that amp. Those mods would've helped dial that in.
Wonder how the depth and nfb would help the MC50 stand up to my 4104.
Honestly, it's one of my favorite amps now. So tight straight in.

Guys thank you for all the input... but in anycase does anybody knows the early rev F does have the multi mains tap for different voltages from different countries? Have read schemetics that its gonna be an export model from mesa boogie to have that function... ? Any boogie expert ?

They
Guys thank you for all the input... but in anycase does anybody knows the early rev F does have the multi mains tap for different voltages from different countries? Have read schemetics that its gonna be an export model from mesa boogie to have that function... ? Any boogie expert ?
They were made with 1 of 2 power transformers.

1 for USA and 1 for rest of world (Export)

If you have the export one, it does have multiple taps and can be shifted from say 220v to 240v.

You can't shift from USA 117v to 220v etc. however... that requires a transformer replacement.

They

They were made with 1 of 2 power transformers.

1 for USA and 1 for rest of world (Export)

If you have the export one, it does have multiple taps and can be shifted from say 220v to 240v.

You can't shift from USA 117v to 220v etc. however... that requires a transformer replacement.

Am from asia but would ya able to advise if the amercian voltage does have the extra for 100V japan?

Back