Review: Hiwatt Custom Super Hi-50

itsgoodnow

Hey all,

I wanted toss some info out there on this amp in case anyone was wondering about it. I got a Hiwatt Custom Super Hi-50 a little bit ago but really only got prolonged play time with it recently. First, the amp looks slick. It has that 70s black and white look Hiwatt is known for. If Darth Vader were an amp he would be this amp.

Some key points that apply, it is an incredibly open amp. Similar to Wizards I have owned. I had this next to my 1970 Marshall Super PA and the two felt similarly open (and dare I say articulate). That is a big achievement for a modern amp, particularly with so much gain on tap. There is voicing that reminds me of the Fryette deliverance, but this is more open and, I hate to use this word, but more organic in the way it plays and how the sound comes out. Also similar to my DR103, the amp is also really fucking loud (luckily this amp has a very good master volume).

Boring part first, it cleans up insanely well, and you can easily get that clean Hiwatt top end bite cranking the power section and lowering the front end gain. I have a DR103 and it easily covers the same ground and the lineage of this amp is very clear when you're not juicing it for gain.

Moving on to the more fun stuff, the gain side. There is a standard mode and the foot switchable 4th gain stage. Both sound great and I do not think they are wildly different, the 4th gain stage adds (of course) more gain, and a little bit more compression. It definitely thickens the tone. The part I truly love about this amp is that the knobs all wildly impact the tone shaping ability. The EQ controls work really well. It is a (partially) Fortin designed amp, and I'm sure people worry that the lows on the amp would be thinner (as some people's impressions are of his amps). That is not the case here. You can thin it out to get the thinner low end to make sure it is very tight, or you can get a controllable fat ass on your bass frequencies. There are a lot of options and it can kind of do it all.

My favorite aspect are the 2 gain knobs. Essentially Gain 1 is low-mid frequencies (more of the grind) and Gain 2 is high-mids (more of the bite). The more you add or subtract to these knobs the more it affects the tone of the amp. I am a Marshall guy, but found myself running both dials at noon, or favoring a bit more grind than high-mids (which is where Marshalls live). It can be a fucking grind-fest easily--think the grind portion of we die young. It can do a less nasally upper mid thing just as easily. The amp also can get incredibly thick and doomy if you want. Not my style but it is in there.

The amp can be very articulate, but where it excels is really at having the notes felt even through a very thick wall of sound. I tend to favor marshall style amps because a well tuned one can have intense note separation in a chord. Here, you can feel the notes but they are not popping off individually it is more of a defined wall of sound. Very different but, even as a Marshall-nerd, very nice and huge.

The feel is very natural and nice. It is a tighter amp. Not the tightest, but pretty damn tight. I am sure it would tighten up with a boost, but I really do not find it necessary. It is not stiff. It is very easy to play. Lead notes really pop off nicely.

If anyone is looking for an alternative to the high gain Marshall or Mesa sound (particularly if you want grind instead of the Marshall kerrang), while still retaining the ability to have vintage voicing, this would be my recommendation. It is more than different enough to justify its existence in a sea of other amps. I would place this in my top 5 amps I have ever played and would purchase it again.

Nice write-up and this really makes me want to try one. These seem to have flown under the radar a bit, likely due to limited availability. I wonder if you've played a Fortin Cali or Monomyth and if so how those might compare?

I find myself gravitating towards Marshall tones more and more. This seems like a cool option with it's own thing going on too.

Nice write-up and this really makes me want to try one. These seem to have flown under the radar a bit, likely due to limited availability. I wonder if you've played a Fortin Cali or Monomyth and if so how those might compare?

I find myself gravitating towards Marshall tones more and more. This seems like a cool option with it's own thing going on too.
I actually owned a Fortin Cali and a Monomyth Black Sun 1987x. Totally different animals all around.

The Fortin was a very aggressive idealized marshall if you wanted modern, tight, low end. Some folks felt the low end was lacking, but for what I play (quicker stuff), and aggressive mids it is hard to beat. A couple things, the clean channel was fine, nothing special, the rhythm channel sounded the same as the lead channel but a bit duller (like a bright cap difference), I basically lived on the lead channel. Absolutely loved it, but, full disclosure, I felt the Fortin modded TS9 I had into any Marshall copped the lead channel tones the same as I set it up. But a really great head if you like that aggressive Marshall sound with a Fortin tuning. Forgot to add, the jose mode (pull on a dial for hyper saturation) was, in my opinion, a mess. The lead channel sold it and the KK+ switches were cool (but did not drastically change character). But also the KK mode is misleading as it sounded nothing like my actual Killer Kali.

The Monomyth was very thick and aggressive, but I, personally, did not care for something going on in the mids. Just my ear, I know many people love Shea's work and he is a very nice guy. There was no doubt it breathed fire. The Hiwatt is much much more open than the Monomyth and while they both have a "wall of sound" thing going on, it is expressed differently. The Monomyth had a lot of crunch (and other chaos in it) but I felt it gave up articulation. The Hiwatt is more articulate with better string definition. Much more of a grind in my opinion than the Monomyth. Also, for what it is worth, the Hiwatt cleans up better and is more versatile (great clean, good mid range crunch). The monomyth had more overall gain without a doubt, but I do not find it lacking with the Hiwatt. This may be faulty memory but I also thought the Hiwatt was tighter? But it has been a while since I owned the Monomyth

Last edited:
This Hiwatt is one I’ve been interested to try. Clips I’ve heard sound really great. Seems like the EQ is dialed in just about perfectly. Need to try one some day.

Apparently the circuit is pretty Larry-ish. Takes a lot of ideas from the Larry layout.

How is the loop on the amp, if you’ve tried it? I want to say it’s a passive, not active design.

I saw Cattle Decapitation a few weeks ago and their guitarist was using one. The other guitarist was using a Peavey valveking. They sounded great. I was really interested in this amp when they were first released. Then I never saw anything else about them. Are they still being produced?

This Hiwatt is one I’ve been interested to try. Clips I’ve heard sound really great. Seems like the EQ is dialed in just about perfectly. Need to try one some day.

Apparently the circuit is pretty Larry-ish. Takes a lot of ideas from the Larry layout.

How is the loop on the amp, if you’ve tried it? I want to say it’s a passive, not active design.
Hehe I wonder where the Larry bits came from... oh yeah that's a Fortin design ;)

I have only owned a couple Fortin heads and this one was definitely distinct enough to warrant keeping. It really comes across as its own thing. I Definitely saw some posts about it potentially lifting some Larry designs and marrying it with the Patridge style transformers. I'm too dumb in the tech department to know. But whatever is going on here it is very cool and I think worth trying.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, I was going to toss some stuff in tomorrow and check it out so the neighbors don't burn my house down. This fucker is loud.

I saw Cattle Decapitation a few weeks ago and their guitarist was using one. The other guitarist was using a Peavey valveking. They sounded great. I was really interested in this amp when they were first released. Then I never saw anything else about them. Are they still being produced?
I don't think a ton of them made it out there. They are still available as a custom order direct from Hiwatt (I believe they are still listed as a one off build to be purchased through reverb).

I have only owned a couple Fortin heads and this one was definitely distinct enough to warrant keeping. It really comes across as its own thing. I Definitely saw some posts about it potentially lifting some Larry designs and marrying it with the Patridge style transformers. I'm too dumb in the tech department to know. But whatever is going on here it is very cool and I think worth trying.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, I was going to toss some stuff in tomorrow and check it out so the neighbors don't burn my house down. This fucker is loud.
Honestly I’ve kept my Satan because it’s pretty decent and different than my other amps . I’ll keep until I get my Larry I think lol

It's laid out like a Hiwatt...

Cattle decap used this amp on death atlas… tone is so sick. I honestly think blending the 6505 in made it worse, but just my opinion.

Glad to see this amp getting some attention again! I’ve had the Super-Hi since Oct 2018 and am still very pleased with it.

Thanks for the comments on the posted video
(I am the guy on the left). As Bram576 said, for Death Atlas we blended the Super-Hi and a 6505. For our new record we again used the Super-Hi but this time went with a 6534 mixed in. In my opinion the overall guitar tones are more aggressive this time around. To be sure, there are other elements (bass tone and mixing choices) in play to bolster that impression, but to me everything just sounds angrier.

Back