revisiting strangers in the night

jcmlespaul

Having little sucsess sleeping decided to crank up UFO strangers in the night. I have no clue how many times I have listened to this album. I am still amazed by the phrasing, tone, and vibrato.

Its my desert island disc Josh. Ive lost track of how many times Ive listened to and still listen to that album. If it was a car, I would have turned the odometer over years ago...

Fine. I will admit that I am 40 and don't think I have ever listened to this disc even though I have read many of you praise it. The guilt has gotten to me and I will download after work today.

LOVE this album and Shenker in general. You are right, he was incredible at phrasing and building up his solos. A real maestro in that sense. Plus i dig the old tunes too!

All this aisde though, let's not kid ourselves, this "live" album is much like the Ozzy Tribute album. Some parts were edited to get the very best of his performances and i am pretty sure there were some minor studio overdubs on some leads but essentially, this is Shenker at his best rocking out and it captures the spirit of what he does/did best. People think he just plays simple pentatonics but there is a lot going on there with legato and bends and vibrato and it is the cat's ass when compared with these pinball machines that run up and down scales all day.

Gainzilla":2tyupi5d said:
Its my desert island disc Josh. Ive lost track of how many times Ive listened to and still listen to that album. If it was a car, I would have turned the odometer over years ago...

:thumbsup: Little surprise I'm with you on this one!
Michael left UFO right after SITN tour and swears he refused to do any overdubs because the drum mics were picking up the guitar. But rumor is that Paul Chapman did. According to his account, it was mostly to correct a couple of tuning issues.

jcmlespaul":2lxpphlj said:
Having little sucsess sleeping decided to crank up UFO strangers in the night. I have no clue how many times I have listened to this album. I am still amazed by the phrasing, tone, and vibrato.

One of my favorite albums of all time, although I think they could have left Cherry Cherry and Hot and Ready off the remaster. It blows the flow of the album for me so I just skip them.

Kapo_Polenton":2fewfbw7 said:
LOVE this album and Shenker in general. You are right, he was incredible at phrasing and building up his solos. A real maestro in that sense. Plus i dig the old tunes too!

All this aisde though, let's not kid ourselves, this "live" album is much like the Ozzy Tribute album. Some parts were edited to get the very best of his performances and i am pretty sure there were some minor studio overdubs on some leads but essentially, this is Shenker at his best rocking out and it captures the spirit of what he does/did best. People think he just plays simple pentatonics but there is a lot going on there with legato and bends and vibrato and it is the cat's ass when compared with these pinball machines that run up and down scales all day.

It sounds like the entire solo on Shoot Shoot has been overdubbed, at least to my ears. That cd is great regardless.

philb":2hsxyexh said:
Kapo_Polenton":2hsxyexh said:

It sounds like the entire solo on Shoot Shoot has been overdubbed, at least to my ears. That cd is great regardless.

If there are overdubs then Schenker outright lied about it because he has clearly stated that there were none and even went so far as to say there was too much guitar bleed in the drum mics even if they wanted to try it.

Bob Savage":130jllbz said:
jcmlespaul":130jllbz said:

One of my favorite albums of all time, although I think they could have left Cherry Cherry and Hot and Ready off the remaster. It blows the flow of the album for me so I just skip them.
I agree. They left them out for a reason to begin with.

jcmlespaul":2sjjs8s4 said:
Kage it is a great album to play while skipping rope.

Look brotha, you are doing it wrong. It goes,

"Ice cream, soda pop, cherry on top, who's your boyfriend? I forgot.

Is it A - B - C - D - E - F - G etc etc?"

Dang jump roping noobs! You get no street cred jump roping to UFO. Sometimes though, they do jump rope to Justin Bieber. Next time you are in the area, my daughter and all her friends can let you into a raging jump rope throw down in the driveway. :D

Chubtone":1x5vp8oj said:
jcmlespaul":1x5vp8oj said:
Kage it is a great album to play while skipping rope.

Look brotha, you are doing it wrong. It goes,

"Ice cream, soda pop, cherry on top, who's your boyfriend? I forgot.

Is it A - B - C - D - E - F - G etc etc?"

Dang jump roping noobs! You get no street cred jump roping to UFO. Sometimes though, they do jump rope to Justin Bieber. Next time you are in the area, my daughter and all her friends can let you into a raging jump rope throw down in the driveway. :D
First post by me to be used for cannon fodder with your rapier like wit Curt!. When starting this post I had no idea Bieber's name would be dropped.

Back