Schenker's place in the guitar god hierarchy

Some of the UFO stuff is decent, more pop oriented imo. The MSG stuff is more hard rock. Armed and Ready, Are you Ready To Rock, Into the Arena, Captain Nemo, Attack of the Mad Axeman and Desert Song are some of my favorites.

Its just 70’s hard rock. VH has plenty of weak material too.

One trick I picked up from Schenker is the art of the neck bend. Haha. My first good guitar was a Gibson V. It was awesome for bending.
True -- and damn George I still have my 78 Explorer and It's neck is like a rubber band . Good for an1/8 step besides being cool!!!!

johnny.jpg
??
johnny.jpg

Earlier I said I thought EVH was most influential but I'm not saying he was the best. He himself knew he could not top Holdsworth but Holdsworth is not an easy listen for most people. EVH is.

He just had that 'something else'. Whether it was his unique timing or just the way he attacked the strings. That combined with his songwriting and killer rhythm playing (like all the greats) just made it a unique package.

I was thinking an interesting question is: Who is the most influential excluding Jimi and Eddie?
I agree with this. My whole argument of EVH has never been that he's the best it's his influence and impact. You mentioned Holdsworth, then there were players like Vai who took some of what Ed did to a whole new level etc... In reality they more or less could play circles around Ed and Jimi but neither had the impact and influence on modern guitar and music that those two did. Rhoads and Yngwie, their influence helped spawn the whole neo-classical thing but their impact and influence compared to Ed's or Jimi's is not even on the same level. And RR is easily one of my top 5 favorite players.

As you said, a more interesting question is who is the most influential excluding Jimi and Ed. Good question.

I personally love MS, one of the greatest vibratos of all time. Live, his tone is so thick, it's butter. If you look at European metal bands, he has to rank as one of the greatest ever. He is one of my personal hero's and was a major influence for me.

Ed is a better player and certainly had more influence overall. When VH opened for UFO before they were signed, it was said that Ed blew MS off the stage, to the point that MS had a temper tantrum and Phil had to storm into the dressing room and yell at VH. (that is in VH Rising). I'm not sure of his influence in Europe, but here in the States, there is no denying, the whole LA sound was a direct result of Eddie and VH.

As you said, a more interesting question is who is the most influential excluding Jimi and Ed. Good question.

I know everyone likes to bag on him, but Kirk Hammett is way up there for influence in picking up the guitar and shredding away, just due to being in the biggest band on the planet for a couple of decades. Likewise, someone like Slash who's influence carried through a decade after GNR imploded.

Earlier on, I think we have to give Clapton credit. He's arguably up there with Jimi and EVH for influence, perhaps arguable that he's more influential on the grander scale.

I agree with this. My whole argument of EVH has never been that he's the best it's his influence and impact. You mentioned Holdsworth, then there were players like Vai who took some of what Ed did to a whole new level etc... In reality they more or less could play circles around Ed and Jimi but neither had the impact and influence on modern guitar and music that those two did. Rhoads and Yngwie, their influence helped spawn the whole neo-classical thing but their impact and influence compared to Ed's or Jimi's is not even on the same level. And RR is easily one of my top 5 favorite players.

I think for the guys that came up in the 60/70's, Jimi was the number 1. Trower, Uli, Frank Marino, George Lynch, Vai amongst 100s all have Hendrix as their primary or one of their primary influences. But by the time I came up in the 80's, I don't know anyone that would have listed Hendrix in their top 10, it was all Eddie, Randy, Yngwie, George and Warren, with Eddie having the most common votes.

I think for the guys that came up in the 60/70's, Jimi was the number 1. Trower, Uli, Frank Marino, George Lynch, Vai amongst 100s all have Hendrix as their primary or one of their primary influences. But by the time I came up in the 80's, I don't know anyone that would have listed Hendrix in their top 10, it was all Eddie, Randy, Yngwie, George and Warren, with Eddie having the most common votes.
Yep. And for 60's/70's you can't leave out Page and Blackmore as well.

For me personally my influences are so varied. I mean my tops off the top of my head in no particular order would be Schon, G Moore (rock not that blues crap), Scott Gorham, Rhoads, Vandenberg, Lynch, Sykes, Campbell, Jeff Carlisi.

As far the 70`s nobody can touch Page regardless of playing ability cause nobody could write songs like that then or now.
I don’t disagree, but being a good songwriter and good guitar player are 2 different skill sets. It seems that anyone who plays guitar and has something they do well independently (write music, improv, read well, etc) seems to be considered a great guitarist by others. I think we need to distinguish more for clarity. I think most of these “guitar heroes” are decent to pretty good at playing guitar, but not unbelievable. The great players don’t seem to get as much credit because that’s all they can do many of them

I thought dod thrashmaster into one
I owned one of those, together with the Metal Maniac (FX58). The MM was not a crappy pedal, lemme tell ya. I even managed to get an SRV tone outta that thing. But the Thrashmaster was far more scooped sounding. Not as horrid sounding as a DiMarzio Very Metal tho', which I had to own because of how ridiculously cheesy and 80's awesome at the same time it looked.
1656350601546.png

Once I used it, it went up for sale quickly. :p

All these guys are great just for their style . I never get what’s not to like . We might not enjoy listening to one guitarist a lot but we can appreciate their style .

I don’t disagree, but being a good songwriter and good guitar player are 2 different skill sets. It seems that anyone who plays guitar and has something they do well independently (write music, improv, read well, etc) seems to be considered a great guitarist by others. I think we need to distinguish more for clarity. I think most of these “guitar heroes” are decent to pretty good at playing guitar, but not unbelievable. The great players don’t seem to get as much credit because that’s all they can do many of them
I really doubt many guitar whizzes could emulate Page correctly

I really doubt many guitar whizzes could emulate Page correctly
Maybe not, but like I said earlier that’s like trying to properly match someone else’s fingerprints and imo not necessarily the most worthwhile thing to do. I think many of them could put their own spin on that style with playing that sounds as good or better, which is more valuable to me than trying to be a direct copy. That’s not interesting anyway. I don’t think Page, EVH or others could properly emulate other greats either, but it doesn’t matter, they were great at being themselves

55 years later people are still trying to figure out what Jimi did and his tones. Are manufacturers trying to cop Jimi? Are you kidding? The Fuzz pedals, Univibes, wahs. Marshall made a few takes on Jimi's stacks and currently PRS reverse engineered one on Jimi's Marshalls.
Was Jimi an endorsement whore wanting his name on every piece of gear? No.
EVH did NOTHING musically of note outside of VH. He spent his career playing the same tunes. He's no Jimi, Beck, Clapton. Not at all. Just a keg-party player who caught a break. I see his place in history, but it's not at the top.
This post is so over the top it feels like it is on purpose just trying to stir shit up lol. We all know Jimi created hard rock guitar to a degree (and so did Tonwshend at least sonically).

But to downplay EVH and call him a lucky guy who played keg parties is ridiculous. EVH wrote every piece of music in the VH catalogue with multiple singers and advanced his playing compositionally and tonally beyond everyone in his time. Everyone chased him in the 80s. Multiple platinum records with multiple singers. The stuff he did with Sammy was incredible too. To just write that off is ridiculous. Jimi had his style and so did Ed but Jimi ran out of ideas a hell of a lot faster than Ed.

As for Schenker, he never was a great songwriter. Incredible 70s euro lead player for sure though.

I owned one of those, together with the Metal Maniac (FX58). The MM was not a crappy pedal, lemme tell ya. I even managed to get an SRV tone outta that thing. But the Thrashmaster was far more scooped sounding. Not as horrid sounding as a DiMarzio Very Metal tho', which I had to own because of how ridiculously cheesy and 80's awesome at the same time it looked.
View attachment 124849

Once I used it, it went up for sale quickly. :p

I love old shitty pedals and almost bought this a few times :LOL: I may get wild later and try to cop a similar tone to that solo just for fucks sake

Back