Setting your amp up for IR recording?

KingBee

I own a Captor 8 Ohm and I am really enjoying auditioning different IR's and recording silently and I feel like I am getting better at it. I had a thought yesterday when setting up to record some riffs, I wonder what other people's processes are when trying to get a good amp sound for recording silently with IR's?

As we all know, our amps and speaker cabs sound totally different whether we are hearing an sm57 slammed up into the speaker grill through headphones vs. what it sounds like when we crank our amp up while standing in our bedroom studio. I often EQ and set up my amps to sound good in the room so when I crank them up, I can feel the thump in my chest and hear all that sweet creamy tube tone. However, that's not necessarily the tone I'm looking for when recording. This is where I have been struggling a little bit, and I'm hoping you can offer some advice.

How do you go about setting up your amp and getting a great tone for silent recording with IR's? Do you set up your amp tone while listening through your monitors? or headphones? Or do you try to get a good tone through a speaker cab in the room first? Do you EQ your amp to sound good with an IR, or do you find an IR that sounds good with your current amp settings?

I notice when I am monitoring through headphones or monitors, that when I change the settings on my amp (Mesa mini Recto) that it doesn't really alter the sound all that much. Not like if I had my amp hooked up to a cab.

Thanks, I'm just trying to get some other perspectives on how people get such great tones for recording with IR's.

Back