Speaker emulators/simulators and Kemper

shred-o-holic

I find myself enjoying the tube amps I have once again over my Kemper. I just acquired an ENGL Ironball which has a very nice balanced line out. I have been running the line outs of my amps into my studio monitors whilst using a mooer Tres Cab speaker sim type pedal. Good results and the Mooer is cheap....I mean good results getting a sound in the room. However, when I stack up my recordings vs those done with my Kemper the Kemper still sounds better. So my question is are these IR boxes like Two Notes CAB on par with the sounds that a Kemper can do or am I pissing in the wind at more expensive options? If there is something like say in the 300 dollarish range that can sound great please advise. I see a ton of new analog type cab pedals like the Suhr ACE for example.

load box != IR loader.

Why don't you just try it out?
Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin is free. There's also lots of free IRs.

The Kemper will be more polished "mix ready" ...although it would always have to be tweaked to an individual mix unless it was a profile for a guitar sound from a current project. The two notes stuff will be a little more raw but tweakable.

You just need to try new IRs with your Kemper....Celestion makes great ones....Just load them into your Kemper and you have new, more refined tones...

Mattfig":hyjk28wd said:
You just need to try new IRs with your Kemper....Celestion makes great ones....Just load them into your Kemper and you have new, more refined tones...

I will check those out. I use an older version of Reaper. I probably need to pony up and upgrade the software as for make they don't have Reaverb AU on the version I have now to load the IR's for my DAW. That is for loading IR's outside of using the Kemper.

But yeah for some reason I keep flirting with the notion that I don't need the Kemper any more. It's a fine machine don't really want to part with it.

slash57":1gr9x5fi said:
load box != IR loader.

I'm a bit of a noob loading seperate IR's outside of the Kemper. I need to upgrade my DAW (Reaper) as it is old and doesn't have Reaverb AU for loading them I guess.

slash57":1jd9r38d said:
load box != IR loader.

A load box is not necessarily the same thing as an IR loader. There are some, like the Torpedo Live, that combine both a load an an IR loader in one box but others are completely separate units. The Suhr Reactive Load is a load box only with no cab simulation. The Torpedo Cab is an IR loader only and does not provide a load to your amp. Obviously if you're playing a tube amp without a speaker connected, you must always have a load connected to prevent damage to your amp.

I've had 3 Kemper units since they came out. I really liked the last one I had because it didn't give me any issues. I was a bit unlucky with the other two. Very easy to record with and love the headphone space effect when playing quietly at night.

That being said, I completely like my recorded tone much better with my current setup through the Torpedo Studio. The 2 IRs in stereo sound fabulous, especially when running FOH playing live. I have a regular orchestra pit gig and I just take my JP-2C, Studio and pedalboard. Very simple to setup and run. I enjoy having an amp and this is my way of working around things.

So if you are asking if one is better than the other, truthfully they both achieve the same thing in a way....great recorded tone.

Talk about being lucky as a guitar player to enjoy all of this stuff. I just wish it was around 20-30 years ago!

:rock:

PBGas":1hrbuskx said:
I've had 3 Kemper units since they came out. I really liked the last one I had because it didn't give me any issues. I was a bit unlucky with the other two. Very easy to record with and love the headphone space effect when playing quietly at night.

That being said, I completely like my recorded tone much better with my current setup through the Torpedo Studio. The 2 IRs in stereo sound fabulous, especially when running FOH playing live. I have a regular orchestra pit gig and I just take my JP-2C, Studio and pedalboard. Very simple to setup and run. I enjoy having an amp and this is my way of working around things.

So if you are asking if one is better than the other, truthfully they both achieve the same thing in a way....great recorded tone.

Talk about being lucky as a guitar player to enjoy all of this stuff. I just wish it was around 20-30 years ago!

Thanks for this. I've been running a Suhr RL with IR's for a while now but I've been eyeing out Kemper and TN Studio and wondering what sounds better for recording. Now I'm wondering if just adding a TN Cab to my Suhr RL setup would get me into TN studio territory or not even close.

Got a BluBox yesterday and tried it with my Suhr RL. Sounds great and is silly easy to use. I like it so far (but haven't been able to do indepth tests)

Alex_S":hsffxk2z said:
Got a BluBox yesterday and tried it with my Suhr RL. Sounds great and is silly easy to use. I like it so far (but haven't been able to do indepth tests)

I've been watching speaker emulator vids for the last few hours lol.. I saw the blubox one, seems pretty cool and sounded pretty good from what I heard. I'm kind of torn, I spent quite a bit on IR's but am now wondering if these new speaker emulators might be better suited for me. I'm really drawn to the Rivera RockCrusher Recording (the one with the cab eq switches) but that thing is $799... major GAS :LOL: :LOL:

errrrrl":bd0kr201 said:
Alex_S":bd0kr201 said:

I've been watching speaker emulator vids for the last few hours lol.. I saw the blubox one, seems pretty cool and sounded pretty good from what I heard. I'm kind of torn, I spent quite a bit on IR's but am now wondering if these new speaker emulators might be better suited for me. I'm really drawn to the Rivera RockCrusher Recording (the one with the cab eq switches) but that thing is $799... major GAS :LOL: :LOL:

Don't have enough experience with the BlueBox yet and not recorded anything (played through headphones only), but as said: it is so easy to use. I have spent so much time trying IRs in LogicX that this is such a relieve. Just plug and play in the best sense. And trough headphones it definitely sounds good. Will check recordings over the weekend I hope.

I use it with the Shure, so in sum it's a similar range of the RockCrusher. Haven't tried that, so can't compare. But we are living in a good time for us guitar players. Many great innovations lately...

errrrrl":1unvuans said:
PBGas":1unvuans said:

Thanks for this. I've been running a Suhr RL with IR's for a while now but I've been eyeing out Kemper and TN Studio and wondering what sounds better for recording. Now I'm wondering if just adding a TN Cab to my Suhr RL setup would get me into TN studio territory or not even close.

Suhr is a solid loadbox. I think you would be just fine with the Cab as an add-on.

Great fun, eh!

PBGas":3qkl5tq0 said:

Cool man appreciate the input :thumbsup:

Back