The importance of hitting hard

It's the ATTITUDE which is the inner feeling AND outward expression.

This is Eleven Rack and a Sans Amp Bass DI demo with SD 2.0 drums. Was going to record in Nashville with live amps and stuff but then pandemic hit. It's gonna slam with real amps:

All Direct/In the box Pre-Production Demo

Ernie Ball 11's with a JB flipped upside down and 250K pots, C#. Even gets some of that Diezel "smear" for lack of a better word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone honestly listened to a guitar part and said “wow that guy really hits hard!!”? I can’t say I have.

I think it's the opposite. When somebody is playing deliberately, with a lot of control, confidence, and intent, hitting the notes like they mean it, all you think about is the good sounding, expressive guitar part happening and you don't think much else of it. When people just plink on the strings like they're giving a dead fish handshake, then that's when you notice something's not right.

I think it's the opposite. When somebody is playing deliberately, with a lot of control, confidence, and intent, hitting the notes like they mean it, all you think about is the good sounding, expressive guitar part happening and you don't think much else of it. When people just plink on the strings like they're giving a dead fish handshake, then that's when you notice something's not right.

im watching zz top now, billy gibbons is so "polite" to the thing playing his 7's and he gets these ripping tones. i would think he was really laying into it with authority but no lol. he must use a ton of gain

When people just plink on the strings like they're giving a dead fish handshake, then that's when you notice something's not right.
100% Deadheads go on and on about Jerry Garcia and what an incredible guitar player he is blah blah blah but when I hear that shit it makes me want to kick small animals hahah (not really...I love animals) His whole trip is this whimpy ass style with zero ATTACK, his tone is nails on a chalkboard to me. That's not at all to say everything needs to be aggressive to come across but you used the perfect word, deliberate. I guess though Garcia nails it because that bands whole trip is 'stinky hippy looking for a miracle' and that's exactly what comes across. Stay tuned for tomorrows episode where I discuss what I really think about the Grateful Dead :ROFLMAO:

Not everyone plays hard rock/metal. Outside those genres, I’m not sure this subject is pertinent.

I appreciate a good metal player, but there’s other styles that require a more subtle approach.

Allan Holdsworth.
Allen Hinds.
Scott Henderson…. There’s a ton of guys who don’t need to bang on power chords and palm mute to make great music.

Not everyone plays hard rock/metal. Outside those genres, I’m not sure this subject is pertinent.

I appreciate a good metal player, but there’s other styles that require a more subtle approach.

Allan Holdsworth.
Allen Hinds.
Scott Henderson…. There’s a ton of guys who don’t need to bang on power chords and palm mute to make great music.
Absolutely, dynamics rule the roost, that was the point I made earlier and about Tool as well. Ham fist slam only goes so far...

Tom Quayle can barely touch the thing with his right hand and play killer stuff. And remember that song Vai did with his right hand in a cast?

Feel like I'm beating a dead horse but the point was the importance of hitting hard. It could have been the importance of playing softly or anything else. But sometimes you need to hit it hard...or play soft...or whatever. It wasn't a "you should play hard or you're a pussy" thing. It was just illustrating why sometimes it's important to hit the strings firmly.

Tom Quayle can barely touch the thing with his right hand and play killer stuff. And remember that song Vai did with his right hand in a cast?

Feel like I'm beating a dead horse but the point was the importance of hitting hard. It could have been the importance of playing softly or anything else. But sometimes you need to hit it hard...or play soft...or whatever. It wasn't a "you should play hard or you're a pussy" thing. It was just illustrating why sometimes it's important to hit the strings firmly.
Agree with all you said. Thread kinda went sideways with the “bitch picking” thing, but I did laugh out loud when I read that. 😁

Until you get guys hitting so hard strings go out of tune. There is one guy here who does it constantly. It’s like nails on a chalkboard. He mods amps, nice guy but he does his mods a disservice by posting some clips.
Dave you’re tight rope walking in two ton shoes..
opening ‘Pandoras’ box..are we?

Back