Thinking of Purging

LPMojoGL

I'm about to purchase a used vehicle to get me thru the winter, until parts are finally available to repair my 1 year old f150. (Thank you, asshole that stole my tail lights.)

I've been feeling like it's time to clean house. Car shopping has driven that home.
I have accumulated too many guitars, amps and pedals.
All of my gear is great, and unique in some small way. But much of it is redundant.
I don't gig, just play and sometimes record at home.
I could use the $.
Ideally, I'd like to sell 2 of the 3 hi gain amps I have, sell at least one 4x12, get down to 4 electric guitars, and sell about half of my pedals.
Problem is choosing what to sell.

Anyone ever go thru this?

Absolutely have done this.

Never get rid of anything that will be difficult to find if you want another someday - either in price or rarity - no matter how pressing it may seem right now.

You'll regret it.

I know a dude who sold a 2c+ coli for 3 grand in the early 2010s. He's never going to find or afford another.

I'm about to purchase a used vehicle to get me thru the winter, until parts are finally available to repair my 1 year old f150. (Thank you, asshole that stole my tail lights.)

I've been feeling like it's time to clean house. Car shopping has driven that home.
I have accumulated too many guitars, amps and pedals.
All of my gear is great, and unique in some small way. But much of it is redundant.
I don't gig, just play and sometimes record at home.
I could use the $.
Ideally, I'd like to sell 2 of the 3 hi gain amps I have, sell at least one 4x12, get down to 4 electric guitars, and sell about half of my pedals.
Problem is choosing what to sell.

Anyone ever go thru this?
It's where I'm at right now as well! :yes:

Yes. At the end if the day, if I had to I could live with one guitar and an amp of some type. I got my Fender Stratocaster I'm the Summer and is one of my favorite guitars I've owned since 1985. I wouldn't even have it unless I'd sold my DeMartini that I never played.

Absolutely have done this.

Never get rid of anything that will be difficult to find if you want another someday - either in price or rarity - no matter how pressing it may seem right now.

You'll regret it.

I know a dude who sold a 2c+ coli for 3 grand in the early 2010s. He's never going to find or afford another.
Yesss, now you will send me the Larry. It is your destiny....Daniel, I am your... EA1E72FF-4CD3-44B8-9B66-4F9DCA2FAF81.jpeg
EA1E72FF-4CD3-44B8-9B66-4F9DCA2FAF81.jpeg

WTF? I'm actually thinking about a new GMC 1500 soon. Is the Ford that bad? I cringe when I see the prices of new trucks and some of the of problems they have like lifters and shit.

WTF? I'm actually thinking about a new GMC 1500 soon. Is the Ford that bad? I cringe when I see the prices of new trucks and some of the of problems they have like lifters and shit.
It's great. Except when someone steals something and you need to replace it.
Not just Ford. Lots of folks with newer vehicles are unable to drive, waiting on parts.

I’ve brought out guitars I haven’t played in ages, cleaned/restrung/set them up, jammed for an hour or so to enjoy my handiwork, and put them back only to have the neck shift and strings go dull the next time I take it out again.

It’s a curse.

Sorry to hear about the problems Bobby.... but it is true. My Pops JUST got his 2022 F150.. pre Covid you would have the '23 in 2nd quarter of '22... and that goes with parts for used vehicles as well. Hell, I cant even get lighting ballasts that I would have next day 3 years ago.

All that said, hope all is well.... and as stated above, gear can be sold and bought back... But hold on to the ones that have a place in your heart. Im fortunate...or unfortunate enough to have 1 guitar and amp in my stable.. no redundancy and wish I had the funds to chase down other gear interests, but grateful for what I have and suffices my current needs. More gear definitely wouldn't help me to play more... hard enough time playing with what I have. Cheers and my best,

Cory

It's great. Except when someone steals something and you need to replace it.
Not just Ford. Lots of folks with newer vehicles are unable to drive, waiting on parts.
Sucks. This is why I keep putting bandaids on my 20 yr old SUV and 15 yr old convertible. Still run well, but I've never kept a vehicle when it gets this old. Truck, only gets driven in winter or to haul. But now I have mysterious ground issues, I've re done 5 grounds but there's probably another 20 throughout. Car is great but still, long in the tooth. Ugh

Sucks. This is why I keep putting bandaids on my 20 yr old SUV and 15 yr old convertible. Still run well, but I've never kept a vehicle when it gets this old. Truck, only gets driven in winter or to haul. But now I have mysterious ground issues, I've re done 5 grounds but there's probably another 20 throughout. Car is great but still, long in the tooth. Ugh

I'm doing the same kind of thing

I could certainly afford to drive a nicer car, but it's way easier to find parts for my 20 year old one 🤷

I went from 4 amps and about 15 guitars down to 1 amp and 3 guitars and don’t miss a thing.

Don’t worry about rarity, worry about what you actually enjoy playing. If you croak tomorrow, chances are your “rare” gear is gonna get yard sale’d for pennies on the dollar.

Back