Top 5 high gain 50w amps

Why is the 50w constraint so important, by the way? It seems like a peculiar thing to specify here. If you wanted a truly low wattage solution, you'd want something like a 5-15 watt amp. 50 watts, as far as power and volume are concerned, is actually pretty close to the performance of a 100w amp.

Besides, most modern high gain amps are designed with very clean power sections and functioning Master Volume controls, meaning they can be played at "ideal tones" down to whisper quiet levels.

You're really closing yourself off to a lot of options if the 50 watt constraint is based on an idea of needing less volume, because that's not really how it works with most modern high gain amps.

Randall thrasher 50! Been gigging it for a bit now (with a road case because it’s essentially made of paper) but it sounds great!
I don’t have 4 other entries, never liked the EVHs, not even the stealth

Why is the 50w constraint so important, by the way? It seems like a peculiar thing to specify here. If you wanted a truly low wattage solution, you'd want something like a 5-15 watt amp. 50 watts, as far as power and volume are concerned, is actually pretty close to the performance of a 100w amp.

Besides, most modern high gain amps are designed with very clean power sections and functioning Master Volume controls, meaning they can be played at "ideal tones" down to whisper quiet levels.

You're really closing yourself off to a lot of options if the 50 watt constraint is based on an idea of needing less volume, because that's not really how it works with most modern high gain amps.
Because 50 watt amps have less headroom than 100 watt amps, thus giving up the goods sooner, and in most cases sounding more pissed and aggressive, while having more headroom than lower wattage lunchbox/bedroom amps that struggle and don’t fill out at high/band levels. He never said he wanted a “truly low wattage solution.”

My Quick Rod is 50w because I run at half power. Always.
My Rectoverb is 50w and it is a beast.
My Vypyr 60 hybrid is 10w over your limit but they are 6L6
Therefore, I think your thread/search should say 60w not 50w :D

Would love to play, try, own, have:
Cameron Mig 50
EVH 5153 50w
Mono Origin
Nitro 50
Naylor
DSL50
D60
list
goes
on
and
on
:D
My buddy had a Cameron MiG 50, and while it had amazing tone, it had a weak ass power section and hit like a cream puff. It would most likely make a great recording amp, but for live use it sounded small.

Because 50 watt amps have less headroom than 100 watt amps, thus giving up the goods sooner, and in most cases sounding more pissed and aggressive, while having more headroom than lower wattage lunchbox/bedroom amps that struggle and don’t fill out at high/band levels. He never said he wanted a “truly low wattage solution.”

The headroom difference from doubling output power is 3db which isn't a meaningful difference with how human hearing works. You will be at blistering volume before you can notice the difference and most if not all modern high gain amps are designed for minimal power amp coloration so hitting the headroom limit isn't a good thing for the design intent.

50 vs 100 is actually not at all a peculiar thing to explore. It’s not about having a low wattage solution or volume difference. 50 vs 100 watt amps have different tones and feel. Which one is better depends on the particular amp design and preference on what you like in your tone. Sometimes 50 watters can sound more raunchy, aggressive, have more/better midrange and sometimes actually be even tighter sounding and faster responding. They usually sound smaller and not as much punch or thump, but sometimes not by much. The 100 watters will have the advantage in sounding more efficient and robust and usually bigger. All depends on preference. What the OP is asking makes a lot of sense to me and is something I think about too

Last edited:
EVH 50w (either regular 6L6 or Stealth)
Soldano Avenger 50
Marshall DSL50
Mesa 50 Caliber + ( underrated amp - COC tone)
ENGL Screamer (also very underrated -closest head I've found to my E530 preamps, which I love).

EVH 50w (either regular 6L6 or Stealth)
Soldano Avenger 50
Marshall DSL50
Mesa 50 Caliber + ( underrated amp - COC tone)
ENGL Screamer (also very underrated -closest head I've found to my E530 preamps, which I love).
The 50 Caliber+ was my first Mesa. Traded it in for a Rectifier in ‘97. Still miss it to this day.

A 50 and 100 are not ONLY different in +/- 3db but in the amount of negative feedback the power section has, this is the reason for this thread. Most my amps have been 100w but some of the most pissed off amps I've every played were 50w....I know there are some extremely talented techs here and they can explain.

Last edited:

I understand that with volume this is kinda true. But there is a lack of punch and a lack of lowend thump that makes a 50 watt a pale comparison to it's 100watt brother to me every time.

It's not about volume, it's about the character. Does this sound like a fucking toy to anyone?

Lol. I stand corrected. I am a bit harsh when I talk sometimes. But whenever I have had the chance to play models in 50 and 100, i always like the 100 watt. But yeah. Monomyth's amp there sounds fucking amazing. Ha.

The OP is asking about modern high gain amps though. Lower wattage modern high gain amps don't give up the goods sooner, they loose the goods sooner, and often just don't have as many goods at any volume (except a few specific circuits here and there). "The goods" in modern high gain amps exist when the poweramp is performing cleanly, which has a maximum volume limit for best tone, not a minimum volume limit like an amp that gets its tone from the power section, like a Plexi or AC-30 or something.

Categorically speaking, modern high gain 50w amps are in a strange middle ground where they don't offer as much power and "biggness" in tone as 100w amps, but are still usually about as large and heavy as 100w amps, more or less. There's just not a lot of reasons a person would specifically ask for a high gain amp that is specifically 50 watts as a deciding factor.

I mean, personally I love my EVH 5150 III 50w, but I love it because of its tone overall, not because it happens to be rated at 50 watts. Personally I never take it anywhere near its limits. I didn't think about its watts when I bought it other than "what is the absolute quietest I can possibly play it and it will sound good?" and "can it get loud enough to play with other people?" and that was it. I compared it to other 100w amps and liked the 50w more, so that's what I bought.

It's not about volume, it's about the character. Does this sound like a fucking toy to anyone?

Holy crap.

Yep that sounds fantastic, don't care what the rated watts are.

Last edited:
I am almost guilty of this, too. I wanted to put my fav 5 amps. But they are all 100-150 watts. I have never have liked 50 watts or less. Fucking toys.
Ha! I love my Triple F, it's killer...but a D60, 82 2204(with 500v on the plates) and the Naylor SD60 I had stayed right with the Triple. It's all about the power section. Weak ass 100w amps with 350v on the plates sound nice and saggy, and then get stomped by a 50w with 500v on the plates.
High voltage 50w amps for the win. High voltage 100w or more for the bigger win.

From what I've owned:

1 - Wizard MTL 50
2 - Marshall JMP 50 (with hot mod + boost or double boosted)
3 - Mesa Single Rec from the mid 00's
4 - EVH 5150 III mini heads

Driftwood Mini Nightmare - Haven't owned this but would probably be right under the Wizard if I had.

I imagine Shea's new amp will crush too.

Reactions: Geo
Back