Uberschall different revs. Twin Jet

1meanplexi

Hey Crew,

I plan on finally pulling the trigger on an Uber. What is the difference on the versions? I love the gain on the TJ but I also would like to know what ones have the best clean? I have watched youtube clips of the TJ and there were some with very impressive cleans. Is it different from year to year on these things? Since I do need a true clean channel is there a certain year I should be looking for? How are the loops?

Thanks in advance for you answers and I look forward to hearing from you :rock: on!

From our own DeathByUberschall:

This is the basic rundown of the Uberschalls:

Original - Fast gain taper on Gain Channel (some have said almost like an Off/On kind of jump in gain), high plate voltage, good power section compression/sag when pushed, Clean Channel volume slightly lower than Gain Channel by comparison, plastic carry handle (although some Original Uberschalls got the leather handle just prior to transitioning into the Rev2), EL34

Rev2 - Reduced gain taper on Gain Channel (same gain, just more controllable), high plate voltage, good power section compression/sag when pushed, Clean Channel volume slightly lower than Gain Channel by comparison, leather carry handle, EL34

Revision Blue - Same basic gain structure, lower plate voltage, less power section compression/sag when pushed, Clean Channel volume matched closer to Gain Channel, re-design of circuits, addition of Loop volume control, bias test points, power jewel changed to smaller LED type, dedicated design ability to allow power section slaving from an outside source (but this can be accomplished on Original/Rev2 versions), EL34

Twin Jet 1.0 - Gain Channel re-design in a direction towards the Original/Rev2 designs, plate voltage unknown at this time so I can't say, less power section compression (due to the design switch to KT88 power tubes), Clean channel re-do in the direction of a high gain modded Marshall tone with very little ability to get a truly clean sound, addition of power section Presence and Depth controls, KT88

Twin Jet 1.1 - The same as 1.0 but with a modded gain taper on the clean channel, same level of gain available as 1.0 with the ability to go lower gain and clean up better

Now keep in mind, I made up TJ 1.0/1.1 for the purpose of comparison , I don't think Bogner looks at them that way. Bogner does offer to perform the Clean Channel mod for anybody who owns what I call 1.0 at no charge.

These are the main differences I know about. I don't know specific component values between the different versions from a design stand point, but I can say my descriptions above, for the most part, are right on the money by way of research, comparisons and the general consensus from those who have had time with them. The volume difference between the Clean Channel and Gain Channel on the Original and Rev2 seem to be exaggerated. Yes there is a difference, but nothing that can't be fixed by just turning the Clean Channel Volume control up a little more than the Gain Channel volume control. Another words, adjust the amp with you ears, not your eyes.

1.0???? what does that do? My idea is to have the TJ gain with the clean of a Rev Blue. Does that exist :dunno: ?

The only thing I would add is that I've found that the EQ controls on the Rev Blue Uber tend to be more responsive then those in the Rev 2, so if you're a knob tweaker that wants full bands on their EQ, it's something to think about. The Rev 2 is arguably the greatest metal amp ever with more gain then I can imagine being needed. You can't go wrong with any of em, so go play one and see what you like! Many of us have had, or still do, more than one ;-)

** of note, I do a lot of biasing for friends, beware of the bias ports on the Rev blues, they are a little deceiving. usually a few Ma off. Grab a good bias probe to bias it to get a better result if you aren't using the scope method as well.

1meanplexi":2vopyl5l said:
1.0???? what does that do? My idea is to have the TJ gain with the clean of a Rev Blue. Does that exist :dunno: ?

No, that doesn't exist. The closest thing would be a Rev 2 with a KT88 mod.

It is the gain that all other gains are measured against ;-) The sound that comes out of my Rev 2 is exactly what my brain tells me a killer high gain amp should sound like. Hot damn!

Leib10, I think I remember from an older uber post that our two rev 2's are of similar serial numbers. Mine is 334 :)

Yep, mine is 336. A fine vintage! I was letting it rip yesterday, it just seems to get better with age!

I have a rev blue and typically run the following settings:

Lead channel:

Channel Volume: 11 o'clock
Presence: 11 o'clock
Treble: between 10 o'clock - 3 o'clock (varies widely depending on volume and which guitar/pickups I'm using)
Middle: 3 o'clock to max
Bass: 12 o'clock
Gain: 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock (although the entire gain range is usable. Even diming the gain sounds pretty good.)

Clean channel:

Channel volume: max
Presence: max
Treble: max
Middle: max
Bass: 1 o'clock
Gain: 3 o'clock

I run a boost pedal most of the time, otherwise it isn't quite tight enough for my tastes. As you run the amp louder, it is not 100% necessary to use a boost, but I still prefer the way the Uber sounds boosted (at least for fast metal rhythms.)

jc986":3nd3mtez said:
I have a rev blue and typically run the following settings:

Lead channel:

Channel Volume: 11 o'clock
Presence: 11 o'clock
Treble: between 10 o'clock - 3 o'clock (varies widely depending on volume and which guitar/pickups I'm using)
Middle: 3 o'clock to max
Bass: 12 o'clock
Gain: 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock (although the entire gain range is usable. Even diming the gain sounds pretty good.)

Clean channel:

Channel volume: max
Presence: max
Treble: max
Middle: max
Bass: 1 o'clock
Gain: 3 o'clock

I run a boost pedal most of the time, otherwise it isn't quite tight enough for my tastes. As you run the amp louder, it is not 100% necessary to use a boost, but I still prefer the way the Uber sounds boosted (at least for fast metal rhythms.)

Thanks! I appreciate. I bought the Uberschall without trying one before and i'm glad i did it. It will take me some time to learn how to eq it for sure, it's definitely not like other amps. 3 o'clock it's where the gain become interesting for me. With a boost it's a Metal Beast!

RockyStar":2gu6lbyx said:
Channel volume and presence control will alter things a lot.

+1. The presence control is probably the most powerful control on the amp. Think of it as more of a mid contour than a presence control. Treble behaves more like a traditional presence control, and Middle is more like a traditional treble control. All the controls seem to behave a little differently with the Presence set to different levels, so definitely experiment.

jc986":3vwiwi1a said:
RockyStar":3vwiwi1a said:
Channel volume and presence control will alter things a lot.

+1. The presence control is probably the most powerful control on the amp. Think of it as more of a mid contour than a presence control. Treble behaves more like a traditional presence control, and Middle is more like a traditional treble control. All the controls seem to behave a little differently with the Presence set to different levels, so definitely experiment.

Sorry, i didn't want to hijack the OP thread but it's very helpful thanks!

Also make sure to run the master volume high. It gets nice and compressed and rolls off some of the harsh high ends.

leib10":365ex1ny said:
Also make sure to run the master volume high. It gets nice and compressed and rolls off some of the harsh high ends.

I like how it's the same evil tone but you can tweak it as you wish by doing little changes like that.

Back